Loosing weight by diet, weights and cardio

Options
Just started on this endeavor! I am 68 years old think I have a good routine and diet but would like to see if anyone knows about a good app to use for weight lifting that might tie in to this app or just to use. Looking at "Strong" but not sure it is the best. Any suggestions?

Replies

• BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What does your routine currently consist of?

At 68 years old the risk of injury will be significantly higher for you. I would recommend doing low intensity cardio such as the elliptical. In regards to weight training, pending you have been cleared for it as well as that you don't have any injuries you are aware of, I would suggest having a certified personal trainer show you workouts you can do with emphasis on good form to prevent injury.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i am assuming that you are new to lifting, yes? If yes, I would look into strong lifts, all pro beginner routine, or starting strength....
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    reykky wrote: »
    Just started on this endeavor! I am 68 years old think I have a good routine and diet but would like to see if anyone knows about a good app to use for weight lifting that might tie in to this app or just to use. Looking at "Strong" but not sure it is the best. Any suggestions?

Strong is fantastic. I've been using it for about 6 months. It is by far the best, simplest, most intuitive app available. You will not regret the few dollars for it. No, I don't work for them :) It won't help you program your workout, but you'll be able to put in and track anything you do. Just look up the programs on the sticky in this page "what workout is best for you" and add it into Strong, piece of cake.

I also use Strongur, but more for the fancy graphs and stuff, it's more than you need.

Also, you don't need a lifting app to tie into MFP, you won't lose many calories by doing lifting. If you really want to, the easiest way is to get a wrist heart monitor like Garmin or Fitbit and do it that way.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I use JEFIT
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    reykky wrote: »

I use the Strong app and like it a lot...
    Works for my needs
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    As a 63yo woman I found AllPro a good fit.
    I take it slow, and have rest periods for as long as I need rather the recommended.
    No injuries, so far.

It is increases reps (8-12) before weight, and has a heavy, medium, and light day each week.

I tried JEFIT for logging ( it has AllPro in it), but gave up after a while, I found my notebook and pen easier, plus I could add lots of notes etc.

For logging in MFP the weight lifting entry under 'cardio' is an accurate calorie burn for me. (compared it with my actual data earlier this week)

Cheers, h.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Strong app is where it's at.