what is a good heart rate monitor

Options
I've just started searching for a heart rate monitor that I can check my HR as well as calories burned and possible how far I walk etc..purchased a S12 yesterday but the calories didn't work so i took it back. Thought I would ask folks here if they would recommend a good HRM...strap or no strap? I've been reading up on them online and the comments are all over the place. Can someone help?

Replies

• cherryblossom13
    Options
    I have a Polar T6. I think it works great! It's a continuous, so it has a strap. I would definitely get one with a chest strap. If you don't, you have to hold down a button to get the reading, and that will throw off the calories burned. As far as recording how far you have walked, mine doesn't do that... but I know there are some out there that do. I don't know how accurate they are though, I've seen reviews all across the board about the accuracy.

Hope this helps!
  • dcladydi
    dcladydi Posts: 95
    Options
    I also would like to know. I'm looking a purchasing one but not sure which one to get.
  • Jamessliminup
    Options
    thank you...I know I've seen the polar T6 on some of the sights...I'll check that out. Thank you very much!
  • syreetahasting
    Options
    I have a polar FT7..I like it cause it has a cloth chest monitor vs a plastic one. Make sure u get one that is coded so that u are not picking up others heart rate. I also hear the ones that do not come w/a chest strap & is just the watch are not that good, they have said that if you sweat too much it will not pick up your heart rate & the good thing about the heart monitor is u can wear them in the water so if u r a swimmer & want to know how much calories u r burning it will let u know..Check out a sporting good store
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    They still make it and I've had it for 5 years now. REEBOK PRECISION XT. Doesn't measure distance, but easy to use and when I compared it to my Bodybugg, the calories burned readings were similar.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 with the chest strap and love it. I'm not sure if it can keep track of distance, but it's really accurate with heart rate and my calories.
  • DrewD2011
    DrewD2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi,

If you are wondering about HR Monitors...

I have posted this message in the forums in the past, but I am a big fan of Polar (one of their 2011 Ambassadors) and they have a wonderful line of HRM's. I have been using their products for about a year and a half.

I started with (and most recommend) the FT7 - about $90 to $105, but after 8 months, I graduated to the FT80, which gave me GPS, Fitness Tests (VO2max), a visual display of my HR, Strength Training detail (add you entire lifting routine into the watch) and a great online community that supports me through challenges (uploading through a Flow Link accessory). I use it for the elliptical, tennis and weight lifting.

Online the FT80 lists at $349. I have seen it as low as $299 (with a Flow Link) at heartratemonitorusa.com.

See the results:

http://www.polar.fi/en/polar_community/polar_people/Andrew

Polar also has a really great line of basic HR monitors. The FT4 (about $60-$70 online) will count your calories and store the info. When you step up to the FT 7, FT40 FT60 & FT80 they can all upload results to polarpersonaltrainer.com...each adds a feature up the line and you should select a monitor that matches your lifestyle/budget.

See their website:

http://www.polar.fi/en/
  • dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I LOVE IT! It gives calories burned, time spent exercising. It has more bells and whistles than I use right now, but during the winter, when I find I always have more time. Yes, it has a chest strap and because I wear a bra, I don't even feel it.
  • Jamessliminup
    Options
    Thank you everyone...thanks brother Drew...i did get the FT4...I liked the FT7 as well but didn't think I needed all the whistles right now as I move into these workouts. Drew was right...the Polar units are great. I love this unit. Did my first workout with it...great stuff!
    Thanks again to everyone who spent time giving me some feedback. I REALLY appreciated it!
  • DrewD2011
    DrewD2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: