What to do now?

Options
I increased my activity levels recently. I weigh daily. I'm not usually detrimentally affected by the scale but I use the daily measurement to gage what actions I should take next. I gained a half pound back last night. I'm not upset about that because I know my body is working on converting fat to muscle and I noticed a little more firmness in my arms. The only problem is that I am not sure what to do next. Normally, when my weight loss slows down, I will increase my calorie intake a bit. But my question is, should I take a rest day from the exercise or should I keep burning calories? Any advice?

Replies

• zeroblackstar
    zeroblackstar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your body weight will vary considerably even if you weigh the same time each day, I wouldn't worry about a half pound difference. If you notice that you're gaining half a pound every day then of course take corrective action. If you look on your weight graph and your seeing a negative correlation, all is well :)

Also its worth bearing in mind as you loose weight your BMR is going to get lower and you will burn less calories from doing the same exercises. As you loose weight you'll need to up the intensity or exercise for longer to keep up the same rate of weightloss. Plus mixing up your exercise routine will help a great deal, always go cycling? Try going for a run instead, or rowing. Your body will 'get used' to certain exercises so keep it on its toes!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Your body weight will vary considerably even if you weigh the same time each day, I wouldn't worry about a half pound difference. If you notice that you're gaining half a pound every day then of course take corrective action. If you look on your weight graph and your seeing a negative correlation, all is well :)

Agreed. I weigh daily and fully expect to see a 1 pound swing in either direction almost daily. I use an app on my phone to plug in my daily weight (It is called Simple Weight Recorder on Android) and just keep an eye on the overall trend.