walking with weights?

Options
I walk 5 miles everyday at a good pace. If i were to add some ankle or hand weights to the walk how would it impact my walk as far as burning off calories? Any help that I can get would be a great help.

Replies

• vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi I walk with Weighted gloves and do all my arm exercises, punches, curls etc as I keep a brisk pace with my walk. I find that I burn more calories with my weights when I am actively doing my arm work and walking. Your body can get so used to things so quickly but I have noticed more definition in my arms and I am burning more calories as I walk
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that the weight belts and vests are easier on your joints. I really want to get one, but shipping online for those things is murder.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    It would. Broadly speaking, it is the same idea that someone who is obese will burn more calories doing the same thing as someone in a healthy BMI. People wear weighted vests to increase their calorie burn. A back pack of books can do the same thing if you are simply walking. Wrist weights or smaller dumbbells can be used to do curls and extensions while you walk.

D

If you have weak joints though, I wouldn't recommend it.
  • 7uke
    7uke Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks! Compared to the cals that you burned without the weight did you keep track of the cals that you burned with the weights? To see how many more you had burned.
  • seriousaboutlife
    seriousaboutlife Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't know about burning more calories... but if you carry 2 or 3 lb weights on your walk... your arms will look AMAZING!!! I know because that's what I have done!
  • bex129bex
    bex129bex Posts: 2
    Options
    I know that adding ankle weights are good thing to do when you are walking because of their position on the leg they can cause alot of problems to the knee and ankle joints. I have used hand weights before and they do increase your calories burned, but I'm not sure by how much. I only used 1, 1 1/2 or 2 pound weights on each hand and I really noticed a big difference in my workout. It was alot harder. You could also try to increase your pace. How long does it take you to walk the five miles? I also walk alot and am training for a 10 mile race at the end of August.
  • 7uke
    7uke Posts: 4
    Options
    for my 5 miles it takes me just about 45-55 minutes.
  • vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    for my 5 miles it takes me just about 45-55 minutes.

Do you use a HRM with Chest strap when you walk? That sounds like a very good pace your walking and the weights would help as well. It does take some coordination to do some of the arm work while you walk and may slow your times down a bit but it is well worth it. Normally at that pace a walk you are in the Fitness Zone and not Fat burn so either way, its All Good!
  • kamelda
    kamelda Posts: 3
    Options
    I just ordered me some weighted gloves from Ebay this a.m. i am so ready to get rid of the "batwings" lol. Biceps are coming along nicely though.:)
  • complejo
    complejo Posts: 36
    Options
    I've heard that ankle weights are horrible for you and I've known someone who had to get surgery for the damage done by them over time. I heard the best way to go is a weight vest or anything that centers the added weight around your mid section. Walmart or other stores should have basic weighted vests you can buy.
  • Annette8479
    Annette8479 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump