From fat to bodybuilder?

Options
Hoping I can post a pic of me below some how. I currently weigh 280 lbs I am 5"11 I don't care so much if I loose weight I want to loose body fat and build muscle. I would love to sit at 240 with 15-20 % body fat (I'm probably currently something like 35%) and I have no idea what I'm doing ha ha.
Now with my very ambitious goals out there here are my newbie questions

How many times should I hit the gym a week?

What kind of work outs? Leg day? Arm day? Everything day? I don't know where to start

I have lost weight before I am very good with meal prep and cardio but no clue with body building all advise is greatly appreciated

Here is a link to a photo of me hoping to get a few more
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=872225729593127&substory_index=0&id=100004171248092

Replies

• fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting, google 5x5 workouts. That will help you build a solid foundation. When I lean out I do heavy weight with reps between 6-8. It sounds counterintuitive but that's what works for me. I also switch to dumbbells.
  • jamiefarnsworth453
    jamiefarnsworth453 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    How many sets of reps do you do? I'm assuming a challenging weightaswell?
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    The 5x5 is 5 sets for 5 reps focusing on compound movements like squats deadlifts and bench press. You'll see fast results if you keep the consistency of the workout. Don't go to failure on the sets but don't leave a lot left in the tank either. Keep things incredible simple at first and start moderately
  • jamiefarnsworth453
    Options
    Thanx man
  • Senrak66
    Senrak66 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i workout every otheir day. then cardio days i dont work out. back and bicepts, legs chest and tricepts.
  • SpideyWebSlinger
    SpideyWebSlinger Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I usually workout 5 days a week. With most exercises you want to use a weight that's challenging but you can do 8-12 reps with. 3 sets. Form is everything. If you're doing the exercise with a weight your body has to cheat (utilizing other muscle groups then just what's meant to be targeted), then you need to lower the weight.
  • SpideyWebSlinger
    SpideyWebSlinger Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Here's my routine. If you want exact exercises, let me know...
    Day 1) Chest & shoulders
    Day 2) Biceps & Abdominals
    Day 3) Legs (and sometimes cardio)
    Day 4) Triceps & Obliques
    Day 5) Back
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

That link I posted above has 5x5 workouts. Even better is that they help you set up the appropriate weights to continue making progress.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'll just repost this from another thread I posted to. Beginners get the most out of 3-4 days per week, full-body workouts. After 6 months or so, pick something new if you want.

Thou shalt include progressive overload (sets, reps, rest times, frequency) and combinations.

There are a few really good guidelines.

Specificity is the most important. Work the muscles you want to build, seems obvious, but if you only have 60 lbs, you may have to do more isolation because with isolation, you use less weight.

Always lift at 60% 1RM or greater, don't bother lifting more than 90-95% 1RM

If you are within the first 2 years of lifting, complete the amount of reps with that weight that will take you to within 3-5 reps of failure. We're talking failure of form, not muscle failure.

If you are more experienced, go to within 0-3 reps of failure.

Muscle benefits from a variety of reps ranges from 3-20 or so. Lower reps get you strength, higher reps get you hypertrophy, but you must lift with weights that correspond to the rep range, heavier for low reps, lighter for high reps to within that range of failure above.

3-5 sets are good, any more than 5 and you get diminishing or negative returns.

Reps per week
    Large muscle groups 60-120 reps
    Smaller muscle groups 30-60 reps

Here's a couple fancy graphics.
    ddqun68c9hyo.jpg
    y3vue8xdat1o.jpg

• jamiefarnsworth453
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

That link I posted above has 5x5 workouts. Even better is that they help you set up the appropriate weights to continue making progress.

That link you gave is incredibly helpful and I am currently taking notes I really do appreciate the help
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Also don't starve yourself trying to lose weight. When you don't eat regularly, your body actually stores more fat cause it's not sure when more nutrients will be coming. Just try to eat healthy

^ Ignore the bolded part, that's an old wives' tale. "Starvation mode", as that is commonly called, is a myth. Eat at a reasonable calorie goal and get adequate protein - meal/nutrient timing is irrelevant.
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Here's my routine. If you want exact exercises, let me know...
    Day 1) Chest & shoulders
    Day 2) Biceps & Abdominals
    Day 3) Legs (and sometimes cardio)
    Day 4) Triceps & Obliques
    Day 5) Back

^ Ignore this as well. Beginning weight trainers should not be running a "bro split". It's probably the least effective routine you could run other than not training at all. Bro splits are for advanced bodybuilders who are already near their genetic potential in terms of muscle mass, and who are hitting every bodypart with massive volume. There are plenty of studies by knowledgeable trainers showing that hitting each muscle group 2-3 times per week is the most advantageous strategy for beginners/intermediates.

Agreed.
  • jamiefarnsworth453
    Options
    I'm getting a lot of input here and I really appreciate the help guys gym membership starts up monday wish me luck and send me a friend request if you wanna help me more thank-you!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's pretty in-depth, but if you want the straight scoop from a very knowledgeable trainer/coach/researcher, watch the six-part "Muscle and Strength Pyramid" YouTube videos from Eric Helms. He cuts through all the BS and broscience and gives accurate advice which is firmly backed by research: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWmchPCyDvw

In case you've never heard of him, here's who Eric Helms is and what his credentials are: http://3dmusclejourney.com/about/eric-helms/

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Helms other than the fact that I follow his work/research and have purchased his e-books (Muscle and Strength Nutrition and Training Pyramids), which are an outstanding, evidence-based resource.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    The hypertrophy mash up video has some excellent nuggets of information from the leading science backed experts on hypertrophy

https://youtu.be/-1KX_JcxfDU
  • big_jon_1988
    big_jon_1988 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    240 at 15% bodyfat is years of work, that's huge dude...
  • big_jon_1988
    big_jon_1988 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That weight/height/bodyfat will put you into bodybuilder territory!

This is not aimed at you specifically, but a general rule: you are always fatter and have less muscle than you think. Don't be surprised if you have to cut 60-70lbs to look anywhere near to your goal physique.

This is true, of you're 280 and have never worked out you're likely going to be below 200 pounds when you get the 15% to 20% bodyfat. For an example I have a friend who is 6'3" when he played football he was 310lbs, eventually he cut his weight back to about 205, and he was 17% bodyfat by then. And that a guy who has on and off worked out for years to boot.