Stationary Bike...

Options
Has anyone found success when doing the stationary bike? I am limited to what I can do as I need a new knee and I've had hip surgery (same leg). I am not allowed to do anything where I am putting weight on my leg, so no aerobics or anything like that. The bike and elliptical is what was recommended. I am working up to longer on the bike but am at 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. I also do a 2.5 mile dog walk at least 5x a week. I've read yays and nays about the bike. Thoughts?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• nicolabradley87
    nicolabradley87 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The bike should be fine, if you want to vary your routine the Pilates or Yoga and swimming would also be low impact and increasing strength is always a good place to start with joint problems!
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think its more do able and entertaing if i switch machines. Why not do 15 minutes on the bike and 15 on elliptical?
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Or 20 each to get a bit more in.
  • davidware5144
    davidware5144 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had a total knee replacement and bought a excise bike for home use. I found this great as the length of the crank so only 150cm as to a road bike 175cm this enabled me to get the bend of knee.
    David
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found success when doing the stationary bike? I am limited to what I can do as I need a new knee and I've had hip surgery (same leg). I am not allowed to do anything where I am putting weight on my leg, so no aerobics or anything like that. The bike and elliptical is what was recommended. I am working up to longer on the bike but am at 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. I also do a 2.5 mile dog walk at least 5x a week. I've read yays and nays about the bike. Thoughts?

Thanks! :)

Hi TranquilityBreeze
    I had my right hip replaced and have problems with knees and ankles but I use a LOW STEP BIKE for outdoor use and cycle 50 kilometre + with just a little pain. I also hill walk using Hiking Poles, going up is easy, but coming down is slow. I take 1 gram of Paracetamol 2 hours before I exercise.
  • jjtweb
    jjtweb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I do the recumbant bike. I started out able to ride for ten minutes now I'm up to an hour or 10 miles. It's made a big difference. I work out at a gym and they gave me strength exercises that leave that leg alone as much as possible. They also gave me things to do to for cardio that I can sit, fireman ropes, slam ball, resistant bands etc.