Options
So I run my first 5k tomorrow morning! Any ideas on what I should have for breakfast before the race?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    It's a 5K.

What do you usually eat before exercise? I mean, I would eat after.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Eat however you normally would before a run. Don't try anything different on a race day. 5k is not a distance you really need to worry about fueling for.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    If you plan to really race the race, then make sure you eat at least an hour and a half before the gun. Or do something very light like a banana or juice. If you are just doing it as a fun run, then you can eat your normal breakfast.

One of the surprises for me after my first 5k was how hard I pushed myself, compared to my normal runs, and how badly that affected my stomach. I couldn't eat for a couple of hours afterwards, except a little fruit and Gatorade. After spending time on some running forums, I learned that my reaction is pretty normal for those who really push the pace, especially on 5 and 10ks that require both speed and endurance to do well.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Whatever you normally eat.

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I did parkrun this morning and didn't eat before hand. I find it easier to run fasted.
  • Nads36
    Nads36 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Well done on do I get your park run GrumpyHeadmistress, I have joined just need to attend one now.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    @EmilyHughes801 - how do you feel about your 5K today? I ran my first one today, too, and found that I pushed myself past what I usually do for my training jogs. Hope you had fun!