Fibromyalgia and Exercise

Options
Hello. I have fibromyalgia and plantar fasciitis in both feet. I want to get in to working out but I don't want to over do it to the point where I am able to function the next day. Some days the pain is really bad even if I didn't do anything the day before. I love to go swimming because it is low impact, However I do not get the chance to do it all the time. I am planning on starting a 30 day challenge so I can tone my whole body and lose weight. Any tips?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    My experience working with people w/fibromyalgia (not an expert by any means) is that gradual increases, short duration workouts, and flexible planning are very helpful. I would structure your "challenge" with goals like consistency, general improvement in well-being, etc, rather than performance goals like increasing x amount of weight lifted or y amount of weight lost.

Given the additional plantar fasciitis, I would definitely recommend the pool.
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have fibro too so I understand but the Plantar Fasciitis makes it really tough. I would say shorter workouts are better so you don't over exert yourself, remember any workout is better then no workout, even if it is only 10 minutes. Also maybe Pilates would be good for you because there is a lot of floor work so you don't have to be on your feet but you can still tone up. There are also lots of weighted arm exercises you can do on your back or just good old pushups. I just looked up exercises you can do on the floor on youtube and there are a ton of options!
  • millea84
    millea84 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will look into those. :)
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Like you, I have fibromyalgia and plantar fasciitis. It wasn't until I had injections in my feet that I was able to work out and not be in excruciating pain after. I feel your pain. I also purchased Altra shoes. They are amazing for plantar fasciitis. Best of luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    A physical therapist or some youtube videos can help with stretching exercises for your feet.
    For gentle workouts try chair or floor yoga-type workouts. Also swimming might be good.
    Also, perhaps a little bicycling might get you doing exercise without hurting your feet.
  • millea84
    Options
    I have been trying to get to the lake more. Swimming makes me feel a lot better physically and mentally. I am thinking about getting a bike too. The one I have is a little too tall. Did you get the injections at a chiropractor? I have been getting pain relieving injections in my neck and back at my chiropractors office, but they really haven't done anything with my feet.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,444 Member
    Options
    Just a question: has anyone of you with fibro had your B12 levels checked, and if so did the test come back well within the range or too low/close to lower reference value? I read a paper not long ago that often fibro is misdiagnosed and is in fact B12 deficiency with nerve damage. But even if the diagnosis is correct then B12 injections (not pills as they don't manage to heal nerve damage) can improve life significantly. I'll try to find that paper.

Just note: any B12 blood test is unreliably high if you've been taking any B12 supplements within the past 4 months at least. B12 shows up in blood results for a very long time, but depending on the type of B12, it can only be transformed into the two active types your nerves need and stored in the liver for 1-2 days. Furthermore, for proper transformation, properly high folate levels (at higher end of range) is needed. So basically, if you're taking a multivitamin or eating fortified cereals or milk you might not get a diagnosis and treatment that might maybe help.
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    Options
    I had injections at the podiatrist's office. I highly recommend trying it.
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Just a question: has anyone of you with fibro had your B12 levels checked, and if so did the test come back well within the range
    My B12 came back in the middle of normal range.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Agreed with gradual changes.

I started off walking for 10 minutes and doing body weight exercises and progressed to much longer walks (I can easily walk 2x 4 hour lots a day, but just mostly do up to 2x1 hour lots), (sometimes) jogging and doing a heavy lifting program. The cardio took around 2-3 years to get there, and in the time I have completed 2 lifting programs and am doing another. I am medicated too. It helps.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Swimming! If you get tired, you can just lay back and let the water massage you. Plus, you're not putting pressure on your feet, or any of your joints even.
    My fibro doesn't bother me, but my mom has a really hard time with it. She'll garden for a day then have to rest for 2. But she never feels exhausted or sore after spending a day in a pool.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Agreed with gradual changes.

I started off walking for 10 minutes and doing body weight exercises and progressed to much longer walks (I can easily walk 2x 4 hour lots a day, but just mostly do up to 2x1 hour lots), (sometimes) jogging and doing a heavy lifting program. The cardio took around 2-3 years to get there, and in the time I have completed 2 lifting programs and am doing another. I am medicated too. It helps.

Quoting myself. Heh...
    I'm working up to doing a walking marathon. I have a looong way to go.
  • millea84
    Options
    I had injections at the podiatrist's office. I highly recommend trying it.

I will have to see if I can get a referral to a podiatrist. I definitely want to try the injections.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have fibro, plantars fasciitis and severe tendinitis in my feet. I started with 7k steps a day until I was up to 15k. I added 1k per week. Now I circuit train at the gym did up to 1 hour and 30mins straight. You can do it. The more you go, the better you feel. I have lost close to 90lbs and still have 80 to go.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have fibro along with tendonosis and osteoarthritis in both feet and ankles, so I can relate. Lifting does the most to help my fibro pain; I have to do everything seated and can only use machines for legs. Swimming, yoga, and tai chi are also great. The key is to not overdo things at first. Unfortunately, flares can knock me off my exercise routine for a while, and it's almost like starting over, but I've noticed the more consistent I am with exercise, the fewer flares I get. At this point, I consider exercise to be equally important as my meds.
  • MLFiting
    MLFiting Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 65 and have had fibro for about 20 years. I retired early and have spent lots of years on the couch or in bed. About two years ago something clicked, and I decided to get healthy or die trying. At 221 pounds I couldn't even walk a mile without resting two or three times. I started small with walking, then added water aerobics. After about eight months I was walking 5ks and felt that I was ready for more so I went to the gym and got a personal trainer. He has been great with researching fibro and helping me improve.

When I started the gym I couldn't get off the bench without help, fell down regularly when I was working out, and worked out two days a week. I had to hold on to someone to do step-ups. Presently, I lift weights four days a week and run two to three days a week. I'm maybe the oldest person at my gym, and my trainer says that he uses me as motivation for his younger clients. My fibro flares have been reduced from weekly 2-3 days in bed to minimal ones every 6-8 weeks. I eat clean, have eliminated trigger foods from my diet, and am off all meds. I feel like I have my life back. Last month I even took 2nd place in my age group in a 5k. I've lost 60 pounds and have gone from a size 2x to a 14. losing about 31" in total so far. I have about 20 pounds left to go. I now have a small group of women my age who work out and run/walk with me. Oh yeah, best thing - although I have daily pain, it's no more meds as the pain is manageable.

My advice is to start small, set goals, be kind to yourself when you can't do it, have a support group, get a trainer who understands the disease and can be adaptive as needed, and modify your diet. I've found that food really impacts my fibro. It's a slow journey.