TOM gain?!

Options
Hey guys sooo i've been doing really well in losing 15lbs ish. Ive lost 3lbs in 3 weeks. Recently though i've had crazy cravings because my TOM is not too far off :| .. anyway as a result ive had maintenance calories for the past 2 days and this morning I was up on the scale by 2lbs which is sooo annoying and makes me feel like all the hard work over the last few weeks has gone to waste. I want to know whether this gain may be because my TOM is literally like a day away or because i ate at maintenace? I dont usually have fluctuations in weight when I'm losing its usually a downhill trend everyday but I have never noticed around the TOM because I never weighed myself around this time in the past, then again I never normally have maintenance calories when I'm trying to lose ever so again I don't know..? Thank you!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's because of TOM. Maybe a bit of eating at maintenance only if you upped your carb/sodium intake.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    mehreen_xo wrote: »
    Hey guys sooo i've been doing really well in losing 15lbs ish. Ive lost 3lbs in 3 weeks. Recently though i've had crazy cravings because my TOM is not too far off :| .. anyway as a result ive had maintenance calories for the past 2 days and this morning I was up on the scale by 2lbs which is sooo annoying and makes me feel like all the hard work over the last few weeks has gone to waste. I want to know whether this gain may be because my TOM is literally like a day away or because i ate at maintenace? I dont usually have fluctuations in weight when I'm losing its usually a downhill trend everyday but I have never noticed around the TOM because I never weighed myself around this time in the past, then again I never normally have maintenance calories when I'm trying to lose ever so again I don't know..? Thank you!

Noone can really know what caused this particular fluctuation. It shouldn't concern you. What would a guess on the matter change?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    It's not fat gain unless you ate 7000 calories over maintenance. Just water retention. Pay it no mind, it'll go away again in time.
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yeah, ignore it. I weighed daily for a few months at one point, and could track my period like clockwork by the 2 pound weight gain right before it.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    mehreen_xo wrote: »

I'll take your 2lb and add another 3. I'm up 5lb this morning, but as there's no way I was even 500 Calories above maintenance let alone 17500, I'm just going to put it down to severe DOMS (cos boy do I ache) and drink plenty of water over the next 48 hours.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I always gain about 5lbs during that time. And I'm ravenous 10 days prior to it, so I tend to gain a few pounds anyway.
    But since I recognize what my body is doing, I repeat 'I'm not actually hungry, it's because TOM is coming.' Then I try to find something to do to occupy my time.
  • Tania_181
    Tania_181 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Most likely due to TOM. Also well done you for allowing yourself to eat at maintenance for a few days - I think many women have an elevated calorie burn at that time which briefly increases our hunger. After my initial flush of weight loss in the first 2 months I experience a lot more fluctuation on the scale but the overall trend is still in the right direction.