hypothyroid

Options
Is there anyone out there like me with hypothyroidism? I am on medication for it but it still feels like i can not lose any weight, even tracking and working out. I see all these people who lose 2-5 lbs a week and I lose 0.8! Has anyone been thru this and have some advice for me?

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos hypothyroid, as well as a mess of other issues. There's lots of helpful threads already out there on the subject if you type hypothyroid into the search function. Those may be able to help you with your questions.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I have it and I am losing weight just fine. Just because you are on medicine doens't mean the weight will just fall off now. I know it seems unfair that the disease caused the gain, but treating it doesn't necessarily cause a loss. 0.8 lbs/week is a healthy loss so I wouldn't be upset. I have been losing 1 lb/week for the last 7 weeks.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    just found out I have it but my level was just over the normal range like 5.08 I've been taking a 25mg pill for about a week now
  • MaureenCreates
    MaureenCreates Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Mine came off within a couple months of being put on medication... but I had already made an effort to eat considerably healthier in attempt to lose the weight before I was diagnosed.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos hypothyroid, as well as a mess of other issues. There's lots of helpful threads already out there on the subject if you type hypothyroid into the search function. Those may be able to help you with your questions.

I have this too. Never knew anyone else with it.
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    STORY OF MY LIFE!
    I've had a hypothyroid & have been taking medication since I was 12 years old. It sucks to be 12 and realize that you have to take this little pill everyday & you're not allowed to forget or else your body goes haywire.

I recently switched medication - because prior to March-April I was taking synthroid. Synthroid makes it 10 times as hard to lose any weight at all. My dad knows a woman who started taking an alternative - I think it's called Armour & it's made losing weight a lot easier for me. But synthroid... god I hated that stuff. I would try so hard & the weight would just stick. I've seen a great change since switching & you may want to ask your doctor about it.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I had a complete thyroidectomy 2 years ago due to thyroid cancer. I had been on meds for a couple of years prior to that, and struggling to lose the weight. This year i decided enough was enough, and really started hitting the gym hard (hired a trainer) and cleaned up my diet. I've lost 40 pounds, but every single one of them has been a struggle. It definitely takes more work when your body is working against you, but it can be done.

My trainer also has hashimoto's, and his dosage was just upped. But he's been very fit his entire life, so a bit more diligence on his part, and the weight comes off. I think it's harder for those of us who let our weight get ahead of us.
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I have it too. As soon as you get on the right level of medication and you work hard (you may have to work harder than other people and find your own good calorie intake for example my best calorie intake is between 800-1300) it will start to come off.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    My grandafther takes Armour thyroid too. I never knew there was a difference in weight loss on either of them. I'll have to look into that.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I loose about a pound a week. Sometimes I have a good week and I'll drop 2 pounds. Need to try adding coconut oil or milk (in a can) to your diet everyday. I just started this myself but I've read good things about it online. It just takes longer for us to loose than it does someone without hypothyroidism.
  • kaitlynnm10
    kaitlynnm10 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid and was put on medication at age 7. Even though my TSH is within the "normal range" with medication, it takes me a bit longer to lose weight than I'd like. But don't get discouraged. You can and will lose weight if you cut back and exercise. Just make sure to get your levels checked as often as your doctor recommends. Good luck!
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    My grandafther takes Armour thyroid too. I never knew there was a difference in weight loss on either of them. I'll have to look into that.
    I mean, it works well for me & a woman my dad works with.
    It may be different from person-to-person, but it wasn't hard for me to switch & I just feel MUCH better being off synthroid. Fortunately, my levels are the same (if not better) from switching.
  • chanajane
    chanajane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes I take 125mmg a day and I have done so for several years, it doesn't seem to shift the weight but it stops me putting it on too easily and I'm not so tired. You have just been diagnosed so it will take a while to find out what the right level of meds is for you, they will test your blood in about 6 months to check.
    You must not rely on the medicine though, you have to take back control and watch you food intake and ensure you do some exercise especially walking.
    Make sure you take the tablet(s) every day because that is important but it shouldn't be the first thing you look at if you are having problems getting rid of the weight, I do think 0.8 is a good number so you don't really have a big problem but if you think it should be more then maybe you could try to increase exercise and see if this helps.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i just hate having to take the pill and a bottle of water an hour before eating I take it at like 6am and go back to sleep lol
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have it and I am losing weight just fine.

Same here! I have Hypo and the weight has been coming off...13 lbs lost so far since starting in 5/31/2011. What am I doing differently now compared to before? I track EVERYTHING! And Im exercising 6x a week. I have finally figured out that thyroid disease is not an excuse, believe me, I used that excuse a lot. It's not easy peasy, but it is possible! It will happen, just take your time and don't get discouraged. :flowerforyou:
  • jbrown78
    jbrown78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! It is nice to know that others have the same problems. I will try to up my workouts and i will look into Armour as i am on synthriod.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! It is nice to know that others have the same problems. I will try to up my workouts and i will look into Armour as i am on synthriod.

I don't think there is a doctor around here that will even think about prescribing Armour. I hear people have good luck with it, but depending where you are from, you just might have a hard time getting it. :frown: Im taking 100 mcg of Levothyroxine by the way.
  • Luckysusan
    Luckysusan Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos too . I've been treated for about 5-6 years now. I have been able to lose weight but I had gained a lot before I really got strict with it. I don't know if being untreated caused me to gain or not. I just loved to eat anyway but 2 years ago I got serious and I've lost 65 pounds. It is hard work but with the right diet and exercise it can be done.
  • SAHM3
    SAHM3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism too, and have been on medication for almost 2 years now. Ive been progressively gaining wait not stop for well over a year now and exercise didn't even seem to help.....it's only been since I started to track what Ive been eating on here that Ive noticed even a remotely different change, but It's still very early & Ill have to wait to see if it continues. I haven't lost anything in 2 years, only gained, but this week I lost 0.8lbs too.....seems futile, but ill take what I can get! Good luck!