Snacks

Options
I'm having issues trying to get some ideas on what to snack on rather than fruits and veggies. Any ideas?? All I can think of is almonds...lol

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I just don't snack :/
  • LindaCan2
    LindaCan2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Almonds perhaps. String cheese.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    small portions of nuts and dried fruit
    energy balls - homemade
    homemade granola, museli bars, bran muffin type things
    greek yogurt with or without toppings such as honey, fruit, granole
    jerky
    flapjack
    dark chocolate
    peanut butter
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't snack either.

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve with the snacks and what you like.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    my snacks tend to be mini meals - cottage cheese and fruit, tuna packet and a cheese stick, and yogurt and fruit.
    I always try to combine whatever I eat with a protein to keep me full.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs
    protein bar/shake
    I try to always do a little carb & a little protein.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Doritos and cottage cheese, jerky, cheese, tuna, yogurt, deli meat.
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I try to have a little protein whenever I snack. Nuts, yogurt, string cheese or other small portions of cheese, jerky and meat/sausage sticks, protein bars, crackers or rice cakes with nut butter. If I'm just having a small treat and care less about protein- fiber one brownies and cakes, low calorie ice cream or popsicles, popcorn, dark chocolate.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Bread
    Apples
    Very small rocks
    Cider
    Grape gravy
    Cherries
    Mud
    A Duck
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't snack either.

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve with the snacks and what you like.

Another non-snacker. Do you snack out of habit or because you think you should eat many meals a day?
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I snack to get extra protein in. I really struggle with that. I found individually wrapped Jack Links jerky that I really like. I also bring string cheese to work. Both are low cal and high protein.

https://smile.amazon.com/Jack-Links-Premium-Original-Individual/dp/B00B9GUZP4/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1501075281&sr=8-1&keywords=jack+links+steak
  • kaygeebozzz
    kaygeebozzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I feel like a tape on repeat, but like everyone else has said -- what motivates the urge to snack?

My two drives tend to be straight-up hunger or trying to get more protein in the day.

Any time I'm hungry, I keep a big bin of mixed greens in my fridge (I like the kind with herbs in it, partly because it's part of my snacking regimen now) and I honestly try to chomp on a handful of those first, and make sure I have a little something to drink.

If I'm still hungry -- yogurt (100kcal), rice cakes (60kcal), radishes or cucumbers or carrots (depending, 5-70kcal a cup), or even a few pieces of oven poached chicken (since I don't use oil and bake them in parchment paper) if I don't have jerky in the house (around 100-180kcal).

If you just want fingerfoods to munch on, almonds aren't terrible, but they'll dehydrate you (and cause constipation) in large quantities and keep in mind the calories.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't snack either.

Another non-snacker. Do you snack out of habit or because you think you should eat many meals a day?

I realized that I'm not a snacker either. If I get hungry during the day I just eat a meal. Or suck it up if it's close to dinner time.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I didn't know that.

[quote="kaygeebozzz;c-40100118" almonds aren't terrible, but they'll dehydrate you (and cause constipation) in large quantities. [/quote]

• kaygeebozzz
    kaygeebozzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that.
    almonds aren't terrible, but they'll dehydrate you (and cause constipation) in large quantities.

Yep! Rosted and dehydrated (raw) nuts can do that, so if you run into issues after introducing 2+ servings of nuts into your diet, it's a likely culprit. Can always just rehydrate raw nuts in some water in the fridge overnight, or otherwise just make sure to drink enough water.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    My afternoon snack is usually an iced coffee and maybe a protein bar or 100 cal popcorn. At work, I sometimes do a banana on lifting days.
  • graelwyn1
    graelwyn1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to snack on almonds, hard boiled eggs, ryvita, natural fruit/seed bars, banana with natural peanut butter, full fat natural Greek Yoghurt, goats cheese, berries ... just anything that was natural and nutritious basically.
  • brentleyann1
    brentleyann1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I always try to do a little carb, a little protein, and a little fat. Like a few slices of avocado and a few pecans on whole wheat bread. It's only a few hundred calories and I'm full until a meal. I only snack around 4 pm because I found I'm hungry at that time everyday. If I plan for it I don't eat junk and I have a light dinner.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    An ounce of smoked cheese, eaten slowly. Yummmm.