starting new life

52 yr old male disabled current weight 660 looking for support walk very little with walker been bed bound about a year trying to get back to life very limited on exercise at this time trying to get started back, feet and knee issues drink a lot of water I drink no soda, no alcohol, currently eliminating can goods trying to eat fresh when possible, married 33 years don't want wife to leave me currently do walk in bed and weights with arms
diabetes, sleep apnea sleep with oxygen
will take ant and all suggestions to heart

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Sounds like a tough and scary place to be starting from. The good news is, this is all in your control. Start with reading the stickied posts at the top of the getting started and general diet sections. Particularly the ones marked most helpful posts. It's a lot to read, but well worth it.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Welcome, Doug - you are in the right place.

Friend request sent.
  • Mads7878
    Mads7878 Posts: 33 Member
    Oh Hi Doug youll b amazing dont worry. Your wife will be amazed when u look hot ok. It doesn't take as long as you think to change habits. At 33 your body will adjust faster than u think. Add me if you want buddy
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    would love to friend you if I can work out how

I recommend you investigate a 'hand bike' - an exercise bike you pedal with your hands, I'd suggest a couple of minutes every waking hour

very good luck
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Hey Doug! You can do it. Choose the "lose 2 lb per week" option then eat 2000 calories below that number. What you are able to target is a loss of 1% of your body weight each week, so for now a first week loss of eating a little less is going be upwards of 20 lb. The 2nd and 3rd weeks are different from the first, and by the 2nd month your mind is starting to get accustomed to the idea of choosing to eat a little less. It may take a year or more for you to get to a point where you realize that you don't have the same temptations or triggers you do now. In the meantime, log all your eats accurately. You'll need to use a food scale to properly weigh everything you eat.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited July 2017
    Hi Doug,

Tough place to be but it will get better. Has your doctor recommended a particular diet for you? I am sure that you have tried many times before but this will be the one. Cut out added sugars, eat real food not packaged and you will be well on your way. Refinements can come later. Remember that what you put in your mouth is what controls your weight. Exercise, although important for health, can wait until you can walk more comfortably.

I look forward to reading your success story!
  • Bradley_J84
    Bradley_J84 Posts: 110 Member
    Start small. Add me if you like. I'm cheering you on!
  • juliette_580
    juliette_580 Posts: 4 Member
    Good luck Doug. You can do it
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Hi Doug. Yes, you have some work ahead of you, but you can do it. Baby steps. Move as much as you are able to. You will get stronger.
  • HealthyAshes88888
    HealthyAshes88888 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Good luck Doug! You already have so many rooting for you!
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1357291/super-obese-why-isnt-the-weight-falling-off-me/p6

Please read this!! This man is younger but similar story and very inspiring!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Good for you for wanting ting to start on a road to better health. I've spent the past few days at the hospital with my mom who had a heart attack. Best to get healthy before it's too late. Way to go!!!
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    HI, Good Luck, you can do it. Stay healthy. Feel free to add me :)
  • Carriebear174
    Carriebear174 Posts: 50 Member
    Good luck Doug, you are in the right place everyone works together to help us reach our goals, you should read some of there stories some of them are very inspiring.
  • tg16nullity
    tg16nullity Posts: 56 Member
    Doug, I look forward to following your progress. I want to hear about all of the gains your weight loss brings you. The little things that people take for granted... be it getting out of bed more easily, or picking something up from the floor without discomfort. These are the victories that will keep you motivated; the ongoing improvement in your quality of life. Others who have come back from the brink can attest to this.

You've got this. You deserve each victory that awaits along the path, and there are many to be claimed and savored. We're all rooting for you! Keep us updated and you'll have more support than you'll know what to do with! :smile:
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Doug, different story but I've just learnt to walk again after a bike accident in which I stopped breathing six times and was bought back, I piled on the weight and then started to get my life back to some normality, I've defied the odds and come back from a very very dark place in my life, if I can do it then you can do it, add me.
  • CHERHUN
    CHERHUN Posts: 145 Member
    Doug you have so many people voting for you already I know it's hard especially if you can't exercise cuz that's how I am but I am losing the weight it's not coming off as quickly as I would like it but that's another thing add me if you like I would love to be one of your friends
  • buffalolita
    buffalolita Posts: 2 Member
    Best of luck Doug! I believe in you.