Iron

Options
I need to increase my iron intake but don't like red meat... Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Replies

• AshlynnHH
    AshlynnHH Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have an iron deficiency which makes it low all the time. All I can say is to get a doctor to prescribe you iron pills or you can try eating more seafood if you don't like meat.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Iron: leafy greens, meat, chicken, turkey, seafood, beans, raisins, apricots, iron-fortified cereals, breads, pastas, peas.
  • moumallick6
    moumallick6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think you need to adjust some vitamin c food in your daily meal... Vitamin c increases the absorption of IRON. Fruits like orange, lemon and citrus fruits. It will help in increasing iron in your blood. Thank you. If you want I can share you some more information...
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If you still have trouble, you could consider a daily multivitamin. (not gummies since they often do not have minerals). A multi will also have B vitamins which you may be lacking if you are avoiding meat.
    Never take individual supplements such as iron unless advised by a doctor since it can be dangerous.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you still have trouble, you could consider a daily multivitamin. (not gummies since they often do not have minerals). A multi will also have B vitamins which you may be lacking if you are avoiding meat.
    Never take individual supplements such as iron unless advised by a doctor since it can be dangerous.

Why would a multivitamin with iron be safe but an individual iron supplement be dangerous?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I get a lot from legumes, veggie dogs (Yves brand gives 8% of my RDA) and cereal. (It varies by cereal. I snack on Quaker Corn Squares and get 30% in 30 grams. It's a bit sweet without being sugary.)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Why would a multivitamin with iron be safe but an individual iron supplement be dangerous?

Individual iron supplements tend to be at the therapeutic level (several times above the RDA), whereas the multivitamins are the RDA dosage.

Nevertheless, only people at risk of being deficient should take supplemental iron. This is a supplement that can harm if it is too high. Besides going to a doctor, pharmacists can be a wealth of information as well (and cheaper).

Here in Canada, iron supplements are kept behind the pharmacist counter and they only supply after talking to the customer to make sure they understand it's use.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Individual iron supplements tend to be at the therapeutic level (several times above the RDA), whereas the multivitamins are the RDA dosage.

Nevertheless, only people at risk of being deficient should take supplemental iron. This is a supplement that can harm if it is too high. Besides going to a doctor, pharmacists can be a wealth of information as well (and cheaper).

Here in Canada, iron supplements are kept behind the pharmacist counter and they only supply after talking to the customer to make sure they understand it's use.

Thanks for clarifying. The one I take is a rather low dosage (it's the one my doctor recommended) so I wasn't aware that individual ones were often higher than what you would find in a multivitamin.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

The lowest dose I've found for a stand alone iron supplement was 361% RDA (it was prescribed). My multi-vitamin is something like 40% RDA for iron.

OP - for a multivitamin look for a child proof cap. Not all multis have iron anymore.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

The lowest dose I've found for a stand alone iron supplement was 361% RDA (it was prescribed). My multi-vitamin is something like 40% RDA for iron.

OP - for a multivitamin look for a child proof cap. Not all multis have iron anymore.

Mine is just 139% of the RDA.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This is a good number......my issue was a few years ago, so I bet I'm a bit outdated.
  • jlbear4902
    jlbear4902 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I frequently get anemic and have found that eating grapenuts takes care of my iron needs 100%. They contain 90% of the average person's daily requirement in just half a cup!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

My multi has a piddly 36% iron, and i still cant take it because it constipates me!
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If you cook in a cast iron pan, you can get some iron from that as well. Yes it is real.

Milk contains some
    Spinach. Spinach is the iron super food IMO
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Unsulphured blackstrap molasses. 1 Tablespoon has 20% of your daily iron needs. Add it to your oatmeal at breakfast. This will help you. And eat something with a little vitamin C at most meals or snacks. Vit C boosts your bodys ability to absorb the iron in your food.
  • emilyyoung4506721
    emilyyoung4506721 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Spinach and chick peas
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Actually, spinach really isn't an iron superfood. Still has some and good for you in other ways, though.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/edible-innovations/spinach-good-source-of-iron.htm
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to post pictures in here but I found an article in a magazine (BBC Focus issue 287 November 2015)

Top 10 common foods highest in iron
    1. Liver
    2. Dark chocolate
    3. Pumpkin seeds
    4. Oysters
    5. Cashew nuts
    6. Beef
    7. Lentils
    8. Spinach
    9. Tofu
    10. Quinoa
  • jessicafordy9
    jessicafordy9 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who was told to eat fish by her doctor to improve iron intake (she was extremely deficient and even iron tablets didn't help her). It was tough for her since shes been a vegetarian for a very long time and now is technically a pescatarian.