Doing everything right, still not losing :(

Options
So last weekend before I went away out of town I was 127! I was so excited! I haven't been this weight in a long time! My goal of 115 was even closer!

When I was out of town I still ate well. The only badthibg was that I had 5 pieces of chocolate. But since I was on vacation I didn't record my meals and didn't excercise. I was gone for three days, but when I got back I weighted 134!! 6 lbs gained! How the heck is that possible?!

So all this week I have been eating around 1000 calories and walking/running to burn about 900 calories. Takes about two hours but I do it out side so I get some good sun.
But at most I am only back down to 131. :( it really doesn't make sense?!

I eat healthy and exercise someone shed some light please. The only thing I can think of it's muscle gain. But can you gain muscle while doing cardio? Please someone shed some light.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You can't gain six pounds of muscle in three days. And I seriously hope you aren't netting 100 calories.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    It's just normal fluctuation. Relax, eat and exercise normally, drink plenty of fluids, check back in a week or two.

Even counting enough to ensure I'm eating at maintenance on vacation, 6 pounds of travel-related variance is not unusual for me. My digestion slows down, I retain more water because of increased sodium intake, I retain more water because of increased carb intake.
  • Motherofship
    Motherofship Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you didn't log meals during vacation, you can't actually be certain you ate well. I'm betting there were a lot of hidden calories consumed. Combined with no exercise, you could easily gain a bit of fat back in three days. But more likely than not, most of the gain was water weight, and you went through totally normal fluctuation. Give yourself more time to see the weight go back down. You will get there.

On another note, elaborating on Malibu's comment, your CICO is crazy. 1000 calories is the absolute minimum you should be consuming, especially if you're working out hard. But 900 exercise calories a day?! Even some of the extreme athletes I know don't come close to that. You're probably grossly overestimating that burn. Even, or especially if, you use a tracker, which are notoriously inaccurate...just my thoughts on it.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,486 Member
    Options
    Rethink. You didnt gain 6 lbs in 3 days. Going into an extreme deficit while doing all that exercise is no way to live. At this point you are likely retaining water in the muscles you've over worked.

Step back. Go back to your normal routine and try adding a bit of patience.

• TeethOfTheHydra
    TeethOfTheHydra Posts: 63 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I agree with folks above. I predict within a week you'll be back at where you were before you left town. You really can't put on 6 pounds of fat in a week. I mean I suppose you could, but you wouldn't be on here asking "what happened?!", you'd already know how much you ate.

I will say I am entirely skeptical of your 1,000 calorie intake/ 900 calorie workout. Not doubting your tabulation, I'm skeptical its the makeup of a healthy weight loss program. It sounds more like starvation and punishment to me. Just for a benchmark, for about the last 10 weeks, I've been eating ~1,650 calories and daily 75-min vinyasa yoga workout, and lost 16 pounds of fat. The punchline to that story is that I began right after returning from vacation. I lost the 5 pounds of weight I put on while I was on vacation in the first week.

I know everyone's different, but your numbers are pretty extreme and, I think, unnecessarily so.
    Good luck!