Can you really outgrow allergies?

Options
As a child I was allergic to
Wheat
Diary
Nuts
Sesame

I outgrew my allergies apart from certain nuts. However, as a child eating any of these foods made me develop hives and serious stomach aches to nearly fatal consequences.
I wonder if indulging in dairy and wheat as an adult could be disrupting my weight and metabolic rate at all?
I suffer from weight gain, bloating and stomach pain often.
Only time I was thin was when I ate a vegan diet. I pretty much never bought butter or bread as I wasn't fond of the vegan alternatives.
I had almost perfect skin. When I stopped veganism I began to get clear stops, suffered stomach aches and serious weight gain.
I wonder if allergies really go away fully? I was said to have "outgrown" my intolerance to wheat and dairy.
However these foods tend to have me looking my worst.
What do you think?
Anyone have any knowledge about this?
Much appreciated

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Only anecdotally. I was allergic to corn and certain processed meat additives from about age 25 to 35. No problems with them before that, or after.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Haven't outgrown mine. I'm still allergic to all grasses, dust, pollen, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes I did - I was allergic to milk, chocolate, absorbic acid and pets in the form of eczema. I grew out of food allergies and they switched hay fever, dust and cats and dogs by way of itchy eyes and sneezing. I did take allergy shots for many years.
  • getfitpixi
    getfitpixi Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I never took allergy shots and I do suffer from dust allergies and get eczema
    Not to mention puffy lips and swollen eyes
    Was thinking of elimination diet?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I would go with an elimination diet. It doesn't sound like full blown allergies but there could be an intolerance there.

I actually grew into my allergies, developed cat dander (and rabbit) allergies in my teens and then dust/pollen etc as an adult. Wish I grew out of that, would make living with cats a wee bit easier........
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I used to be so allergic to dogs my eyes would seal shut overnight if there was one in the house. I grew out of it and owned a springer spaniel for 13 years.
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you have suspected food allergies, then you really want to visit an allergist to get tested again. If you had life threatening reactions to these foods in the past then you really shouldn't be taking risks in case one day you develop a severe reaction. You don't want to get surprised in that way!

My environmental allergies never went away. They just evolved. I developed asthma in my forties and my atopic eczema never went away. It just moved to new places.

Being a plant based eater with little to no dairy or eggs for over four years has not made a difference to my allergies. However my medications make a HUGE difference.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You can both outgrow allergies and sensitivities and develop new ones throughout your life.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    My daughter has tested positive to allergies of
    Milk
    Peanuts
    Rye grass
    Dust mites
    Cats and dogs
    At the age of 15 the only one she has grown out of is dairy. Her allergist said right from the get go that there was an 80% chance she would grow out of dairy but only a 20% of growing out of peanuts. From what I understand desensitisation is not really permanent either. Unless you continue to be exposed to the allergen the allergy will come back.
  • getfitpixi
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    I used to be so allergic to dogs my eyes would seal shut overnight if there was one in the house. I grew out of it and owned a springer spaniel for 13 years.

Oh my gosh! Thought I was the only one. I almost always wake up with tight, sore eyes. They look smaller than they actually are in the morning. This really annoys me. I have big round eyes but they look almost almond these days and the undereye circle is mad.

Something has to give.

I am also allergic to dust so I did a huge clear out and dust/steam/wet wipe of my room. Still, the symptoms are persisting.

I feel perminantely ill.

Something's got to change
  • getfitpixi
    Options
    Skipjack66 wrote: »
    If you have suspected food allergies, then you really want to visit an allergist to get tested again. If you had life threatening reactions to these foods in the past then you really shouldn't be taking risks in case one day you develop a severe reaction. You don't want to get surprised in that way!

My environmental allergies never went away. They just evolved. I developed asthma in my forties and my atopic eczema never went away. It just moved to new places.

Being a plant based eater with little to no dairy or eggs for over four years has not made a difference to my allergies. However my medications make a HUGE difference.

I never took anything aside from anti histamine as a kid
    If there is a medication that works for you please do share?
    I'm in serious search for something that works
    Glad you're seeing some relief
    :)
  • meetingacrosstheriver
    meetingacrosstheriver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've outgrown my dairy and egg allergy - although diagnosed in my early 20s. My allergies to grasses (about 15 different types!) and pollen remain, although I have been desensitised meaning I don't react as badly as I used to. I've been told my tree nut and peanut allergies (I'm anaphylactic) though which were only diagnosed 18 months ago will remain with me for life. As a child I was diagnosed as allergic to horse hair and cat hair, but have never outgrown these.

When diagnosed with the dairy and egg allergy though, Drs told me that it could have been triggered by a virus which I picked up a few months earlier. After a few years, I was retested and given the all clear to reintroduce them back in my diet. The reason for outgrowing, could be as simple as that the virus was cleared out of my system and my body no longer say these foods as a foreign body they had to fight.
  • Skipjack66
    Options
    getfitpixi wrote: »

Sorry to hear you are suffering madly with allergies. It really does suck when you wake up all swollen and puffy and you look and feel terrible. Do you know exactly what you are allergic to? That is the first step in knowing what to do. An allergist can help - although it can be a wait depending where you live.

I have severe allergies to animals - cats, dogs, rabbits, rats, you name it. To hair, fur, saliva and dander. So I stay away from all things furry and never touch them at all. I can't go to people's houses with animals either. I have learned that it's just not worth it. I'll last maybe two hours if the house has no carpet, they have just vacuumed and they only have one animal. And that's with loading up on my meds. Then my asthma kicks in and I start sneezing and wheezing and getting itchy all over. Then the hives start. Then out comes the benedryl.

As for pollens and dust mites and mold, these things are really hard to avoid. I still carry around a pile of kleenexes with me wherever I go because I do blow my nose a lot. But if I didn't take my meds I would be swollen up and miserable every single second at every time of year. My eyes do water a fair bit though, and I still get urticaria flares affecting my eyes about once a month. However the severity is greatly reduced compared to how I'd be without my meds. I also don't have any carpet and I try to vacuum at least once a week. I also have an air filter thing beside my bed and an electrostatic dust remover thing in my furnace. I vacuum the filters about once a month or so and they do collect a lot of dust.

So I take eye drops every day RELIGIOUSLY. I use zatador. It's over the counter in the USA. Patenol is the most commonly prescribed but I don't find it as effective for me. The best one for for me ever was a solution of 4% sodium cromoglycate but they don't carry it in Canada. You may be able to get it where you live. It stings to go in which is why they discontinued making it. Sadly.

I also do a nose spray, every day, religiously! I take Flonase. Again, it's over the counter now in the USA, and also in Canada but they are charging double the price here. I drive across the border to stock up on this stuff. When my allergies are worse with a big pollen surge (say a sunny day after the rain) I will take reactine. It's over the counter. I take a reactine probably 4 times a week in the summer. If I can't control my allergies and I'm feeling awful then I take a benedryl, usually with a coffee if I'm not at home because it makes me drowsy. I only take it as a last resort, as this stuff is not good to take on a regular basis. I take one about three times a month.

I also take singular. It's a miracle drug for me. It greatly reduces my allergy symptoms and keeps my asthma in check. I really notice it if I run out. It's prescription though. I also take asthma meds, Symbicort. My asthma is almost 100% allergy related. I rarely get exercise induced asthma unless my allergies are already bad or you're smoking in my face.

I also have severe atopic eczema. I've had it my whole life. Coming into contact with allergens causes huge flares with hives and cracking and bleeding. So I wear gloves in the kitchen while chopping fruit and veg. It keeps my hands clear. The allergist/dermatologist explained that the molecules on some fruits and veg are shaped similarly to those of tree pollens (birch specifically) and that is why my skin reacts. I can eat all those things (potatoes and watermelon and plums and some over ripe fruits will really make my hands itch and swell) although sometimes my mouth with start tingling and my lips go red and develop hives. It's not a food allergy per se, it's my skin/eczema thinking I'm touching birch pollen. It's gotten worse over time too as I've become over-sensitized with a lifetime of chopping, which is why I've taken to gloves now. As soon as my mouth starts though, I stop eating whatever it is.

My atopic eczema on my face was really bad for a long time after my dermatologist retired. My new GP refused to put me on Protopic, the only medication that had ever worked for me. I got so bad that I never wanted to leave the house. My eyes almost swollen shut, skin as red as heck, bleeding cracks all over, and then the inevitable flaking that follows the swelling cycle. I felt like a reptile on those days. For years people would ask me "are you okay" thinking I'd just had a binge crying session. Because that's what I looked like. So I started documenting my face with photos for a year so that my GP would understand how hard it was to live with this condition. Finally in February I showed up to her office in on one of my worst days ever and she put me on the Protopic again. It was a miracle as my skin started calming within four weeks. I do not dread being seen in public again.

I hope you can get to the bottom of this.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »

Oh my gosh! Thought I was the only one. I almost always wake up with tight, sore eyes. They look smaller than they actually are in the morning. This really annoys me. I have big round eyes but they look almost almond these days and the undereye circle is mad.

Something has to give.

I am also allergic to dust so I did a huge clear out and dust/steam/wet wipe of my room. Still, the symptoms are persisting.

I feel perminantely ill.

Something's got to change

I'm so sorry, that sounds terrible. Have you tried an air filter? I also hear good things about salt lamps. Though I've not really tried either as my allergies are gone, now.
  • getfitpixi
    Options

Sorry to hear you are suffering madly with allergies. It really does suck when you wake up all swollen and puffy and you look and feel terrible. Do you know exactly what you are allergic to? That is the first step in knowing what to do. An allergist can help - although it can be a wait depending where you live.

I have severe allergies to animals - cats, dogs, rabbits, rats, you name it. To hair, fur, saliva and dander. So I stay away from all things furry and never touch them at all. I can't go to people's houses with animals either. I have learned that it's just not worth it. I'll last maybe two hours if the house has no carpet, they have just vacuumed and they only have one animal. And that's with loading up on my meds. Then my asthma kicks in and I start sneezing and wheezing and getting itchy all over. Then the hives start. Then out comes the benedryl.

As for pollens and dust mites and mold, these things are really hard to avoid. I still carry around a pile of kleenexes with me wherever I go because I do blow my nose a lot. But if I didn't take my meds I would be swollen up and miserable every single second at every time of year. My eyes do water a fair bit though, and I still get urticaria flares affecting my eyes about once a month. However the severity is greatly reduced compared to how I'd be without my meds. I also don't have any carpet and I try to vacuum at least once a week. I also have an air filter thing beside my bed and an electrostatic dust remover thing in my furnace. I vacuum the filters about once a month or so and they do collect a lot of dust.

So I take eye drops every day RELIGIOUSLY. I use zatador. It's over the counter in the USA. Patenol is the most commonly prescribed but I don't find it as effective for me. The best one for for me ever was a solution of 4% sodium cromoglycate but they don't carry it in Canada. You may be able to get it where you live. It stings to go in which is why they discontinued making it. Sadly.

I also do a nose spray, every day, religiously! I take Flonase. Again, it's over the counter now in the USA, and also in Canada but they are charging double the price here. I drive across the border to stock up on this stuff. When my allergies are worse with a big pollen surge (say a sunny day after the rain) I will take reactine. It's over the counter. I take a reactine probably 4 times a week in the summer. If I can't control my allergies and I'm feeling awful then I take a benedryl, usually with a coffee if I'm not at home because it makes me drowsy. I only take it as a last resort, as this stuff is not good to take on a regular basis. I take one about three times a month.

I also take singular. It's a miracle drug for me. It greatly reduces my allergy symptoms and keeps my asthma in check. I really notice it if I run out. It's prescription though. I also take asthma meds, Symbicort. My asthma is almost 100% allergy related. I rarely get exercise induced asthma unless my allergies are already bad or you're smoking in my face.

I also have severe atopic eczema. I've had it my whole life. Coming into contact with allergens causes huge flares with hives and cracking and bleeding. So I wear gloves in the kitchen while chopping fruit and veg. It keeps my hands clear. The allergist/dermatologist explained that the molecules on some fruits and veg are shaped similarly to those of tree pollens (birch specifically) and that is why my skin reacts. I can eat all those things (potatoes and watermelon and plums and some over ripe fruits will really make my hands itch and swell) although sometimes my mouth with start tingling and my lips go red and develop hives. It's not a food allergy per se, it's my skin/eczema thinking I'm touching birch pollen. It's gotten worse over time too as I've become over-sensitized with a lifetime of chopping, which is why I've taken to gloves now. As soon as my mouth starts though, I stop eating whatever it is.

My atopic eczema on my face was really bad for a long time after my dermatologist retired. My new GP refused to put me on Protopic, the only medication that had ever worked for me. I got so bad that I never wanted to leave the house. My eyes almost swollen shut, skin as red as heck, bleeding cracks all over, and then the inevitable flaking that follows the swelling cycle. I felt like a reptile on those days. For years people would ask me "are you okay" thinking I'd just had a binge crying session. Because that's what I looked like. So I started documenting my face with photos for a year so that my GP would understand how hard it was to live with this condition. Finally in February I showed up to her office in on one of my worst days ever and she put me on the Protopic again. It was a miracle as my skin started calming within four weeks. I do not dread being seen in public again.

Thanks so much
    I'm pretty sure my overeating is correlated to allergies and discomfort also
    I'm aware that anti histamines cause weight gain which is why I stopped regularly using them
    I'm interested in pro topic
    Is this a topical or oral treatment?
    So far topical has been next to useless in my adulthood
    Im in uk and struggle to get help from NHS
    Are you uk based?

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I used to be allergic to cats as a kid. My eyes and nose would get itchy and red and I'd sneeze and sniffle. Now I'm totally fine around them. I also outgrew my asthma!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can outgrow allergies or intolerance. You can also develop them as you grow/age. But if something is causing you problems why even ask? Just don't eat it.
  • Skipjack66
    Options

Thanks so much
    I'm pretty sure my overeating is correlated to allergies and discomfort also
    I'm aware that anti histamines cause weight gain which is why I stopped regularly using them
    I'm interested in pro topic
    Is this a topical or oral treatment?
    So far topical has been next to useless in my adulthood
    Im in uk and struggle to get help from NHS
    Are you uk based?

No, I'm in Canada. We have a similar health system to you. First you see the general practitioner and then you get a specialist referral - but only if they deem it necessary. Usually the GP will try to solve the problem first since specialists are there to deal with only the more serious issues that the GP can't solve. My GP hates sending anyone to a specialist so it's always a challenge with her.

So you brought up a few things. I have no idea how overeating relates to your allergies, unless you are meaning that you are sensitizing yourself to the items that you are already allergic to. That means at some point you may get a severe reaction if you are truly allergic to the foods your eating. Like an allergy to a nuts - the first time swelling, the next time more severe, by the time you get your fourth dose you may get super sick or have a full blown anaphylaxis reaction. So bottom line is you have to avoid nuts. This goes for any food allergy, really. The more you eat of it, the sicker you'll get until you're out of control. Of course there are food intolerances - like dairy lactose intolerance or celiac disease (gluten intolerance) but these are a completely different pathophysiology, not allergies.

Allergies in themselves do not cause weight gain. Allergies are caused by an IgE antibody reaction to a substance that your body thinks is a deadly invader. So you go into inflammation mode and all sorts of chemicals are released by the antibodies including histamine (which makes you sneezy and watery eyed and puffy and miserable). That's the purpose of an antihistamine - To block the formation of histamines. Histamines don't make you gain weight however, but overeating does.

As for weight gain from taking antihistamines, it's not something I've ever experienced. Nor has anyone in my family and we've all been on them for decades. In fact I grew up on them because there were no alternatives when I was a kid. However what scares me is the link to dementia. Antihistamines are anticholnergics which can lead to dementia with long term chronic use. I might be doomed already, for all I know. Benedryl is the worst one, along with sleeping pills (benzodiapines) which are same class of drug. So now I have reduced my use of antihistamines because of this worry. However I still need them at least four times a week (reactine) because I can't function without them. Reactine and Claritin and Allegra are not as strong anticholnergics and I don't worry as much about them. My allergies are too bad to go without them. However I try to only take benedryl when I feel like I'm literally dying and my eyes are so swollen I can't see.

To avoid antihistamine use for environmental allergies you really have to employ the localized corticosteroid/antinflammatory meds like Flonase and eye drops, and keep your place dust/pollen free with air filters and the whole nine yards. However for a food allergy these strategies won't help you. The only way to avoid food allergies is to avoid the offending food!!

As for Protopic (tacrolimus), it's a miracle drug for me. It's a topical ointment and not a corticosteroid. No topical was able to control my facial eczema and the use of them over decades has led to thinning of my skin. My GP refused to put me on the only drug that ever worked for me that was prescribed for years by a dermatologist. It's a third line of defence for severe eczema as it has been linked to cancer. Therefore it's not to be used for mild eczema. It's used very sparingly.

There is another one they try first before Protopic called Eladil. The eladil did nothing for me, along with everything else. However like I said I got into the habit of taking (almost) daily photos of myself for six months so that my GP would understand the cycles my skin was going through and why I would often choose not to leave my house. When she saw me in a full blown attack (I don't see her often because her wait times are like three weeks for a stupid appointment) she referred me to a dermatologist, who agreed that I definitely needed the Protopic to keep my skin under control.

Now I can happily leave the house and have the self confidence to show my face in public. Not to mention, I feel so much better and I don't have that burning "face on fire" feeling every day anymore.

Good luck.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    As a kid/teen, dairy even in small amounts gave me migraines - honest to god, going blind, losing feeling down my right side, throwing up, dark room and silence for a day or 2 migraines. So did duck eggs, pecans, MSG and probably other things we never even identified.

I have outgrown all of those, but in the past 5-10 years I have developed others - walnuts now make me wheeze, for instance.
  • rslacefield
    rslacefield Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Alaterial75, could it be histamine intolerance? Are you currently exposed to common irritants like pollen, dust, etc that are causing what acts like food allergies?