time to take my life back

Options
Hey everyone. wow.. here i am 51 and NOW trying to get healthy... im very over weight, and my back pays the price and I cant take it any longer. I recently went to my doctor.. and I wanted to find a dark corner and hide. I had gained 20 pounds after quitting smoking cold turkey.. ON TOP of my already heavy weight..
Bad relationships in the last few years have not helped my self esteem . so i said good bye to having one FOR NOW. I have to refocus on ME. thus taking MY life back from those who i allowed to ROB ME OF MY SELF WORTH.
Here I am, and believe me when i say I will need MOTIVATORS, POSITIVE influences. ALL of the good stuff. This wont be easy, it will be One hell of a trek.. a journey that scares me. but not being alive for my grandchildren scares me more.
I look forward to hearing from you, making friends, and hearing your story.

Replies

• katydougherty
    katydougherty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Most of us here are in the same boat you are in. I kept telling myself I was ok with being fat. I would diet for a few weeks, not see much results and gave up and told myself I didn't care. I was lying to myself. I just needed some motivation. That motivation came when I saw my sister for the first time in like 6 months and she had lost 30 lbs and it was very noticeable and she looked great. I thought, if she can do it, so can I. I bought a recumbent bike, some weights and looked for recipes of good tasting foods that were lower in calories (www.pinterest.com has a LOT of good weight watcher recipes). I've only been at it a little over 2 months, but I've lost 19.8 lbs so far and want to lose at least 40 more. You CAN do this, but you have to work hard at it. It does become easier. Even with the little amount that I've lost, I feel better and look better and seeing the results make it so worth it. Don't give up and if you give it enough time you WILL see results AND feel better!
  • dwilcox115
    dwilcox115 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thank you so much !! the more i sat here today, the harder i beat myself up.. while everyone is out in the sun enjoying life, i am hiding because , yes I am ashamed.. sad but true. I reminded myself that In order for me to have friends that are true to who they are, I must also be true to me.. im so tired of kidding myself.. thank you for the tips!! i will definitely use them! I used to be an extremely happy go lucky lady. and I miss her.. I am bringing her back, one step at a time. this is MY life . no one else can be me. I cannot wait!!
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    HI, Keep small goals, daily check your food diary, always stay positive and believe in yourself. Good Luck, you can do it. Stay healthy. Feel free to add me :)
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You can and will do this but you need to keep at it even at tough times. Good luck
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking !!!That is a huge impressive accomplishment. You should be proud.
    Congratulations on getting rid of the toxic relationship.
    Now you are starting to focus on weight and here on mfp to log foods and learn how to eat less than you burn. This is a fantastic way to adjust your life.