Whole Milk is best.

Options

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia. I know what cereal is lol We too have breakfast cereals :tongue: It's the "cold" part i don't understand. What is "cold" cereal?
    I thought 'cold cereal' just meant cereal out of a box, as opposed to hot porridge off the hob/out of the microwave. Usually used by people who would actually otherwise make fresh hot porridge for brekkie.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't use milk for much, but whole milk is what we have in the house so if I need milk it's what I use. Comes with having young kids. My youngest is around the 5th to 10th percentile and seems to live in air some days so I'm glad he's getting the extra fats. He has basically no reserves as it is.

(He also regularly gets offered giant tablespoons heaping full of peanut butter as a bedtime snack.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia. I know what cereal is lol We too have breakfast cereals :tongue: It's the "cold" part i don't understand. What is "cold" cereal?
    I thought 'cold cereal' just meant cereal out of a box, as opposed to hot porridge off the hob/out of the microwave. Usually used by people who would actually otherwise make fresh hot porridge for brekkie.

Aah ok, maybe thats it.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options

It is cold because you pour cold milk on it.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I drink with whole milk or 2% - as I only have a cup a day, it's worth it to me to have the milk that tastes best and stays the best with me. The low fat milks taste ok but the relative sugar load is higher cause of the reduced fat, and so it doesn't stick with me, and makes me crave more sweets.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Aah ok, maybe thats it.

Cold cereal is eaten out of the box/bag crunchy with cold milk. Hot cereal is oatmeal, porridge, cream of wheat, etc. eaten hot/cooked. :drinker:

I grew up on 2% milk and simply don't like whole milk. I eat plenty of cheese, yogurt, and ice cream so I don't need to go looking for extra dairy fat lol.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    1%er here. Don't tell me how to live my life.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options

Oh! Just means it's not hot!

Great to have an international crowd here!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I buy skim milk because it froths better and I really only use it to put froth on my coffees
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I don't like whole milk. 1 or 2% is really yummy though.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yum, dessert milk!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I go for reduced fat dairy and almond milk because I prefer some calories left over for a handful of nuts at the end of the day. I also like to keep my saturated fat levels down. What is best is really an individual thing.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Aah ok, maybe thats it.

Cold cereal is eaten out of the box/bag crunchy with cold milk. Hot cereal is oatmeal, porridge, cream of wheat, etc. eaten hot/cooked. :drinker:

I'm from the UK and the 'hot cereal/cold cereal' thing sounds odd to me too, because when we say 'breakfast cereal' we only ever mean the cold crunchy stuff. I realise porridge etc are technically 'cereals' (as are polenta, rice etc) but we don't use the term in that way when talking about breakfast.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

It's the kind of cereal you don't cook, or normally eat warm.

I like some kinds of oats (mostly steel cut -- texture thing), what you'd call porridge, I think. That's it for cereal. The stuff you pour from a box (or whatever other source) and add milk to, ugh, I don't understand the appeal at all.

I get I'm weird and everyone disagrees with me. My whole childhood if I stayed at someone else's house I had to choke it down and pretend to like it, since that was politeness.

Edit: I don't know if it's US specific or even more regional or what, but my dad often calls oatmeal "hot cereal."
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk plain, but I make a whole milk latte every single morning. It tastes richer than lower fat milks and I enjoy it entirely!
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 I've seen you mention cold cereal before.. What is it? Cereal with cold milk instead of warm milk?? I've just never heard that term before.

Where are you from?

We Americans sometimes like to eat boxed "cereal" (eg, sugared processed grains of some sort) with milk for breakfast. To see one of the worst examples, look up "Lucky Charms," featuring extra sugar in the form of marshmallow bits. It's really horrid and is becomming somewhat less popular these days. I notice that Musli and Granola are appearing on supermarket shelves in greater variety, not that granola is low sugar.

Lucky Charms is my favorite cereal. I don't buy it anymore, but every time I walk down the cereal aisle I look at it longingly...
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Bwrock84 wrote: »
    I discovered that when I used Whole Milk with my cereal. I stopped snacking a lot and saved a lot of money from buying snacks from the vending machines.

When I drank other milk (i.e., Skim, Almond, Cashew) I snacked a lot and wasted money on vending machines and gained more calories, too.

From this point on, I'm going to have Whole Milk. Let's hear where you stand?

I like 1% milk and 2% milk but hate skim milk .. skim milk over cereal is like pouring water on it. however, i noticed when i eat a bowl of cereal and milk i am hungrier than when i eat 2 boiled egg whites for the meal.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Edit: I don't know if it's US specific or even more regional or what, but my dad often calls oatmeal "hot cereal."

Actually I think it might be generational. I kind of remember when I was little, everyone said "cereal" (meaning cheerios, frosted flakes, etc) or "hot cereal" (meaning oatmeal or cream of wheat). Maybe now that more grains are widely available like steel-cut oats, farro, wheatberries etc people are used to being more specific and the vague terms are less likely to be used?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Actually I think it might be generational. I kind of remember when I was little, everyone said "cereal" (meaning cheerios, frosted flakes, etc) or "hot cereal" (meaning oatmeal or cream of wheat). Maybe now that more grains are widely available like steel-cut oats, farro, wheatberries etc people are used to being more specific and the vague terms are less likely to be used?

Could well be. That makes sense to me, as I think of it as an older usage too. (My dad also says hotcakes or flapjacks for pancakes.) Anyway, I wouldn't call it hot cereal personally (oats or oatmeal), but if I said "I don't eat cereal" I might expect someone to say "but you do eat oatmeal" as I do think oatmeal is a type of the broad category cereal even if I don't call it such. So for me calling it "cold cereal" is just an effort to be accurate. It never occurred to me that it would be unclear. ;-)

Sorry, language things are always fascinating to me!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I grew up on 2% milk, so that's what I continue to use. But I only use it for cereal or cooking and don't drink it. I usually get Fage 2% Greek yogurt but we accidentally picked up full fat this time and I think I liked it better. Is it worth the extra 50 calories? Maybe.