Is a small/moderate amount of added sugar really THAT bad

Options

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, sugar isn't toxic or fattening, but you need a certain amount of a range of nutrients every day without going over on calories over time, and foods with added sugar tend to be both easy to like and easy to overeat, and overeating low-nutrient foods makes it harder to get in enough nutritious foods - so it's best to limit intake of so-called junk foods.

Bad nutritional advice, as in random advice without context, is what's bad. It can make you anxious and the anxiety can lead you to make overall bad decisions.

A little sugar makes your Greek yogurt palatable enough so you actually eat it.

I hope that what you got out of this, is that you need to be critical to what you read, and that you can and should make your eating decisions yourself, freely and without guilt.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I know there other people out there like me, but we're few in number compared to the legions.

I don't like Nutella.

I've never had it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I know there other people out there like me, but we're few in number compared to the legions.

I don't like Nutella.

I've never had it.

Best not to tickle the dragon.
  • Crowned_Clown
    Crowned_Clown Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Sugar is, like all indulgences, not really bad so long as you consume it in moderation. I have a personal rule where I try to eat things where I can actually read the ingredients and know what I'm consuming - as such, I try to make sure that sugar isn't at the top of the list for most of my meals, especially since I have a sweet tooth and could eat my weight in pudding and cakes without a buzz.

There's no hard-set rule on how much is okay. Just use your judgement and exercise self-control. :wink:
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    trixxxeee wrote: »
    For instance, blended Greek yogurt. I've heard it's better to buy plain yogurt and add stuff to make it taste better. But, no matter what I put in it, it just doesn't taste that good to me. I like the blended yogurt better. There's 6 grams of sugar in the container I ate. Is it REALLY that bad for you?

I do try to steer clear of most processed foods in general. My sugar is usually below goal, most of that coming from fruits and other natural sources. But if I eat a blended yogurt or some salad dressing with a bit of added sugar, is it honestly that harmful?

i cannot stand plain yogurt, and even with fresh fruit, its not good. so i choose Fage or Danon Fit and Lite - delicious and i fit it in perfectly with my macros per day. I'm not going to buy something healthy and then squirm around to force myself to eat it.. coz i wont eat it and it will be a waste. so i just allow for those calories and love my food.

I have a little bit of brown sugar that i add to oatmeal to make it taste better. i just record it in my MFP calories.

some foods have high calories and they can be tricky and add up, i.e. mayo has too much calories for me, so i have to watch that i dont easily eat 5 TBS of salad dressing on a salad. so you just have to account for all these things in your foods.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think there is nothing wrong with small amounts of sugar until suddenly there is. Some will be fine with sugars and others no longer are. TBH, I wish I had cut back decades before and then perhaps my middle aged health would be better.

The only way to truly know if added sugars are not a problem for you is to use a glucose monitor. Test before eating and then 30, 60, 90, and 120 minutes after eating. If you just experience a mild rise in BG, you are fine. If it is going up quite a bit and into the 6s and higher, your body is not handling it well. Repeated high, and prolonged high, BG can lead to health problems.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    So, using those Australian figures we can guess that Nutella is two-thirds sugar and palm oil. Yummy.

I have stopped eating Nutella and most commercial peanut butters. It has nothing to do with the sugars. The palm oil production is the main contributor to deforestation of the orangutan's habitat so I no longer buy anything with palm oil in it. Personal thing, I just love orangutans :D
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    So, using those Australian figures we can guess that Nutella is two-thirds sugar and palm oil. Yummy.

I have stopped eating Nutella and most commercial peanut butters. It has nothing to do with the sugars. The palm oil production is the main contributor to deforestation of the orangutan's habitat so I no longer buy anything with palm oil in it. Personal thing, I just love orangutans :D

Nuttvia... It's a palm oil free alternative to Nutella. And I've never seen PB with palm oil! Do you not have natural ones available in your supermarket?
  • earlnabby
    Options

Nuttvia... It's a palm oil free alternative to Nutella. And I've never seen PB with palm oil! Do you not have natural ones available in your supermarket?

We do and I will buy it for a recipe but I read labels closely and don't buy it often. Basically, most of the blended ones have palm oil, even the spreadable "natural" ones. Jif is one of the few that use cottonseed and/or rapeseed oil instead of palm fruit oil. Earth balance, Skippy, and many others use the palm oil.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

We do and I will buy it for a recipe but I read labels closely and don't buy it often. Basically, most of the blended ones have palm oil, even the spreadable "natural" ones. Jif is one of the few that use cottonseed and/or rapeseed oil instead of palm fruit oil. Earth balance, Skippy, and many others use the palm oil.

I'm in aus.... We have lots of palm oil free options!
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I can't see the point of testing for blood glucose after ingesting sugar since the cause of insulin resistance isn't linked to the ingestion of it.

https://niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/what-is-diabetes/prediabetes-insulin-resistance

Very true. Testing is only necessary if you already have BG issues.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Basically, most of the blended ones have palm oil, even the spreadable "natural" ones.

Lots of them don't. I prefer nut butters that are just the nuts or, sometimes, the nuts plus salt, and haven't had trouble finding them.

Probably cheaper to just do nuts in the food processor, though. I do that too, sometimes.

I'm currently obsessed with walnut butter.
  • earlnabby
    Options

Basically, most of the blended ones have palm oil, even the spreadable "natural" ones.

Lots of them don't. I prefer nut butters that are just the nuts or, sometimes, the nuts plus salt, and haven't had trouble finding them.

Probably cheaper to just do nuts in the food processor, though. I do that too, sometimes.

I started reading labels in the grocery and was surprised at how few of the natural ones are just peanuts (or peanuts and salt). I do put peanuts in the blender when I do my African groundnut stew.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I don't like Nutella.

I like hazelnuts. I can't stand - as in, often get nauseous from - hazelnut flavored things.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I don't like Nutella.

I like hazelnuts. I can't stand - as in, often get nauseous from - hazelnut flavored things.

SAME.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I don't like Nutella.

SAME.

My brother is allergic to hazelnuts (full blown anaphylaxis). no other tree nuts bother him, neither do peanuts. He quickly learned the french word for it when he and my SIL moved to Paris for a year.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I started reading labels in the grocery and was surprised at how few of the natural ones are just peanuts (or peanuts and salt). I do put peanuts in the blender when I do my African groundnut stew.

When I first started buying them ('90s), I think most of the natural ones were just nuts (or peanuts) and salt, and now more of them (as the market got bigger and more of the new buyers perhaps dislike the separation or are motivated just by sugar fear) do have some palm oil, but in the stores I go to it's still easy to find ones with nothing but nuts.

(Now I'm thinking of that old commercial, "nothing but net," sigh.) ;-)
  • earlnabby
    Options

When I first started buying them ('90s), I think most of the natural ones were just nuts (or peanuts) and salt, and now more of them (as the market got bigger and more of the new buyers perhaps dislike the separation or are motivated just by sugar fear) do have some palm oil, but in the stores I go to it's still easy to find ones with nothing but nuts.

(Now I'm thinking of that old commercial, "nothing but net," sigh.) ;-)

Remember when GNC would grind it for you right in the shop?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I can't see the point of testing for blood glucose after ingesting sugar since the cause of insulin resistance isn't linked to the ingestion of it.

https://niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/what-is-diabetes/prediabetes-insulin-resistance

I disagree. Elevated BG causes damage. Many, many people may be regularly elevating their BGto unhealthy levels and have no diagnosis of IR or T2D.

After an OGTT, I had a BG of over 9 at 1 hour. At two hours it had over halved itself. By that test, I gave no diabetic BG because it was not still high at 2-hours post glucose drink. BG was still disturbingly high.

More knowledge about how your body responds to food can't hurt.

And IR is being shown to be related to carb intake in some people, and by carb it is often referring to the less nutritious carbs like sugars and highly refined grains (carbs are not nutritiously equal).