i turn into a grape when i run ):

Options
i've been walking 3-4 times an hour a week on the treadmill for the past month. it's gotten pretty easy so i've decided to run for 10 min at the end of my walk today.

I LITERALLY TURNED PURPLE. this has happened every time i tried to run, regardless of length of time or speed. i remember trying to run almost a decade ago and i turned the same color. i honestly don't understand. am i allergic to running? am i not hydrating enough? is my form incorrect?

Replies

• brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    i thought 10 min was the bare minimum to start running - silly me :(

also, in the past (around 2-3 years ago), i ran 2-3 times a week for a few months and slowly built up till i could run for 40-50 min at a go but still turned purple after the first few minutes at that point. so i'm not sure if it's simply because i aimed to run for too long / too fast today.

anyways will look up some guides on how to start switching from walking to running. thanks!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    definitely try couch to 5k or any other program that has you very slowly working your way up.

do you know what your heart rate was when you were running? or your RPE? I would say it might have something to do with your intensity being way too high but i've only seen people turn "red" not "purple".
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    bodwomon wrote: »
    i thought 10 min was the bare minimum to start running - silly me :(

also, in the past (around 2-3 years ago), i ran 2-3 times a week for a few months and slowly built up till i could run for 40-50 min at a go but still turned purple after the first few minutes at that point. so i'm not sure if it's simply because i aimed to run for too long / too fast today.

anyways will look up some guides on how to start switching from walking to running. thanks!
    Absolutely definitely totally not the bare minimum!

Please. For the love of small furry things, never torture yourself like that again. And good luck.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Agreed you need to slow down.

But also, I go scarlet, bright scarlet, when I workout. It's just normal for me.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Trying to do too much too soon with running is a ticket to injuring yourself.

You're turning purple from exertion. It's okay to be a little red if you're hot, but purple from working too hard as a new runner isn't good.

Download a C25K training program to your phone. It uses intervals of walking and running, and the purpose is to condition your body to get used to running.

GO SLOW. Running is a gait, not a speed. You not only went too long (gauging your reaction), you went to fast.

Speed is something that develops with miles put into running, not a starting point. Your body has to make the adaptations to learn to run so that you don't cause yourself an injury.

Run smart. It will pay off in the end.

By the way, if you think you're going slow? Go slower. You should be able to talk or sing along to a song while you're running.
  • tg16nullity
    tg16nullity Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    +1 for the C25K app. I'm three runs from completing the program and in just two short months I have gone from barely being able to jog for 1 block to jogging 2-3 miles (possibly more but the app tells me to stop). And I'm technically still obese. Lol

No idea why you would turn purple, though. Sounds like circulation issues maybe? Best consult a physician on that rather than rolling the dice on internet forum advice.
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the great advice! i'm not a huge fan of having too many apps (mfp is the only health-related app i do have and i don't own any cool gadgets) but will definitely read up on guides and try to follow them. i'm going to run for 15 seconds for every 3 minutes i walk tomorrow as per @HeliumIsNoble 's recommendation and then up that to 30 seconds and so on with time.

@tg16nullity i've been contemplating re going to get my circulation checked out for quite a few years actually. my peripheries esp my feet get purple/cold/tingly sometimes ):
  • ADeCapua
    ADeCapua Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Skin turns purple when it doesn't get enough oxygen, so, based on what you're saying, I think you should get yourself to a doctor to discuss it.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Agree with all, also want to add don't forget to breathe. You might turn purple because you don't get enough oxygen plus ran too fast too soon.
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's most likely an oxygen issue, not a circulation issue. I don't turn purple when I exercise but I do turn purple when I laugh too much; it's the kind where I can't stop, and can barely breathe so I end up purple. It goes away just fine after I settle down.

As for peripheries, I'd get that checked out. That said, most women tend to have cold hands, and feet. It's a common trope. Tingly, and purple isn't, though.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You're probably fine but just in case see a doctor - purple could be a sign of hidden heart problems or something similar. You know how they say always see a doctor before starting a new exercise routine, and everyone sort of ignores it and figures they have to say that so they can't get sued? Sometimes individuals really do have some underlying issue which doesn't show up until they start a new workout routine. It never hurts to make sure!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    You're probably fine but just in case see a doctor - purple could be a sign of hidden heart problems or something similar. You know how they say always see a doctor before starting a new exercise routine, and everyone sort of ignores it and figures they have to say that so they can't get sued? Sometimes individuals really do have some underlying issue which doesn't show up until they start a new workout routine. It never hurts to make sure!

Totally agree with this. Purple to me would be a cause for alarm.
  • kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't need an app. I started running for 30 seconds and then walked for a few minutes or whatever I felt comfortable with and I gradually upped the running time when I was ready. It's not complicated--I would imagine the app just helps with motivation and accountability.

But I would maybe see a doctor about the purple. I get pretty red when I'm hot, but purple seems like it could be something else.