Somebody calm me down

I have been steadily losing since mid may. This week I gained and I can't figure out why! I have had so many false starts in the past, I'm worried that this is just another failure and I don't know if I have the strength to start over yet again

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Did you eat over your calories?

If not it is likely just water fluctuation. We can gain up to 4lbs some days for so many reasons. You are never truly one weight but a weight range.
    It can be that the weather got hotter, high salt meal, ovulation or TOM, constipation. Any number of reasons.
  • Dluzan
    Dluzan Posts: 7 Member
    You can do it :) don't let gaining stop you from your ultimate goal. I constantly was torturing myself with the scale and being to hard on myself until one day I realized it wasn't about the numbers, it's about being healthier. I have failed multiple times. You can do this ! I believe in you !
  • aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    Under calories. Hoping it's just water. I'm just being paranoid, I guess. I just get freaked out because I have been working so hard. I can't work any harder so, if I'm gaining weight, i am screwed
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I have been steadily losing since mid may. This week I gained and I can't figure out why! I have had so many false starts in the past, I'm worried that this is just another failure and I don't know if I have the strength to start over yet again

Weight loss isnt linear...
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Its easy said, weight loss in not linier, it is none the less highly frustrating. Have you been having foods with a higher salt content recently, this contributes to fluid retention. I'm in the UK and as far as I'm concerned its Hot here, I've had to drink more than usual, this has an effect. So much feeds into this weight loss thing.

Your food diary is not open, neither is mine, mostly because my dietary intake because of reactions/intolerances was so poor breadth wise, and would have brought criticism down on me. I wonder if the calories you are consuming are spread across the macros which are also displayed. If they are principally from carbs this can make things more difficult, (I'm probably talking to someone who knows more than me so apologies). Particularly because you know how best how your body works.

Being constantly under your mfp pre-set, as well as your own choice of numbers can work against you. The mfp setting allow for a deficit, taking that deficit lower by not eating up to your number particularly if you are given the 1200 minimum for women can cause you to be deficient in things. Gone are the use under 1000 c's a day. People say there is no such thing as starvation mode but the body can fight back, its used to things being as they were and it wants to stay there.

If you are taking more exercise than previously, you are rewarded with additional calories, some eat all these calories back others a proportion, its all up to you.

Please keep your determination in tact. Fill in your food log as accurately as possible, you have no reason to contemplate misleading or deluding yourself about your actual intake, if you continue to have minimal achievements, .5 of a lb loss in weeks rather than one week, you can print off your food log as evidence, to achieve personal recommendations through your medical professionals. There are long term conditions which can have a great impact on how the body works.

All the very best from someone who's progress has been complicated too. Always, do what is right for you. Keep going, in months, 6 months, and then a year, there will be progress, take the long view and don't become disheartened.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Google the whoosh effect. What is happening to you is perfectly normal. Researchers studying long term calorie restriction found that at the beginning of a diet, for most people weight loss is more linear. Later in the process, it becomes less so because fat cells fill up with water and become "squishy fat." Yes, that's the official scientific name for it. Then the water purges at once and you may see a drop of a pound or more in one day.

If you are eating at a deficit you are not regaining weight. Just have faith and trust the process.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member

Weight loss isn't linear. You can't just give up every time there's a blip.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    If you have been slipping up on your eating then you can start worrying.

The scale is a fickle beast. Don't hang your happiness on that. Your weight goes up and down up to five pounds a day from hormone fluctuations, how much salt you are carrying, and muscle repair (swelling).

If you are keeping to your eating plan then count this week as a success. Your consistency will eventually show up on the scale.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member

It might help you out to know that I've been under my calories every day this week, with a fairly significant deficit, and these have been my weigh-ins through the week:

Monday: 94.9 kg
    Tuesday: 95.8 kg (!!!!)
    Wednesday: 94.7 kg
    Thursday: 95.1 kg
    Friday: 95.3 kg
    Saturday: 95.4 kg
    Sunday: 94.4 kg (new low!)

It's driven me basically nuts all week long, but I know it's just water and my body messing with me. It happens!
  • MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    AAEAAQAAAAAAAAeqAAAAJGE3MTBiMzc0LTM0MTQtNDY2Ni1iODdlLWJhMGFkNjg2MjQxMQ.jpg
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Only you know this, how's your tracking?

Tracking is within your control, the scale is not. Trust the process.

Something that helped me when I started, I got this from Albert Ellis- just because I did not succeed at weight loss last time has nothing to do with this time. Because the past does not control the future.

Spend some time thinking of ways to deal with discouragement. If you have much to lose, this won't be the only time. Agree with Fuzzipeg, summon some determination. Agree with everyone else, weight loss is not linear. As a matter of fact I can't think of any human undertaking that tracks on a straight line.

• the9thresident
    the9thresident Posts: 4 Member
    never rely on a scale anyway
    it's more about how you feel than anything else
    and if it's a bad day?
    this is what my Gramma used to say (God rest her soul)
    this too shall pass
  • aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    Google the whoosh effect. What is happening to you is perfectly normal. Researchers studying long term calorie restriction found that at the beginning of a diet, for most people weight loss is more linear. Later in the process, it becomes less so because fat cells fill up with water and become "squishy fat." Yes, that's the official scientific name for it. Then the water purges at once and you may see a drop of a pound or more in one day.

If you are eating at a deficit you are not regaining weight. Just have faith and trust the process.

Thanks! That's the first I have heard of this.

It appears that is exactly what was happening.
  • CoueCoue
    CoueCoue Posts: 69 Member
    I'd never heard of the "whoosh effect" either. I am SO suspicious of new fads...but reading up, this has made HUGE sense to me. Anecdotally...I had had several weeks of really "nailing" my eating and exercise goals. Then, I purposefully went off track for a few days (friends to stay...didn't want to hold back) and, when I tentatively stepped back on the scale afterwards....it was FINE! And I continued to lose for several days afterwards much MORE than my calorific deficit warranted.

Interesting.

What this ALSO does is not make me too confident and feeling like my body has suddenly found a new maintenance level of calories. Calorie surpluses will end up back on the scale at some point (just as deficits will)...maybe not tomorrow but likely in a week or so!