To Exercise or not to Exercise

Options
shanefg
shanefg Posts: 29 Member
Hmmmm this is the first time i have ever realy lost weight 15kg . I have lost it in around 4 months with no exercise. I have failed in the past because exercise has made me 10 x hungrier and ive fallen off the wagon. This may be strange but true. I have a tread mill and want to start going on it but am afraid my hunger will intensify im sure im not the only one that this happens 2.

Replies

• End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Hmmmm this is the first time i have ever realy lost weight 15kg . I have lost it in around 4 months with no exersise. I have failed in the past because exercise has made me 10 x hungrier and ive fallen off the wagon. This may be strange but true. I have a tread mill and want to start going on it but am afraid my hunger will intensify im sure im not the only one that this happens 2.

You need to strength train or much of your weight loss will be muscle loss and since muscle is a large contributing factor to your BMR, you need to maintain muscle mass to keep losing fat. Secondly, what are you eating? Ensure you are getting adequate amounts of fats, protein and fiber and hunger should not be a problem. 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein works well for most people.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You can work around this issue. Plan your meals around when you exercise. After you exercise, eat protein, which will help you stay fuller longer (if you are really afraid of eating too much, cook before you exercise and portion out your post exercise meal). I usually eat dinner after I exercise for the same reason.

Best of luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's not hard to be thin without exercising, but it's pretty much impossible to be healthy without it. If you exercise you can afford to eat more because you are burning calories.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    exercise! always exercise! you have to work out your cardiovascular system! get those lungs and heart a pumpin ;)
  • Bamafox27
    Bamafox27 Posts: 4
    Options
    Drink a lot of water. It helps to control your hunger by keeping you full.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Exercise, because whatever you burn off, you're supposed to eat back. Problem solved!
  • shanefg
    Options
    Exercise, because whatever you burn off, you're supposed to eat back. Problem solved!

In theory True in my reality a struggle within :)
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I had this trouble as well. I ended up talking to a personal trainer and a dietician, and I'm happy to pass along their expertise. If I was soooo hungry, they concluded, then I was not eating enough calories and was likely working out waaaaay to hard. I got a heart rate monitor that could accurately calculate my calories burned, and, through trial and error I figured out that if I burned 600 or more calories in a workout session, I would get crazy hungry and tired. My diet was altered to add more protein (stays with you longer) and fiber (same reason) and to also add in some 150 - 300 cal snacks before and after intense workouts. I used to lose weight by not working out and simply eating a only 2 meals a day, but that weight wouldn't stay off, and I would still look pretty flabby. Now, I workout and eat small meals throughout the day, carefully noting calories burned and eating them back, and always having a meal or recovery snack within an hour of a big workout.
    I've been ill for a bit and am still recovering, so in light of this I am building up very slowly to my previous workout levels, which might be a good place for you to start. When I overdo it (very easy for me) then I end up feeling awful and not being able to maintain it. So, if you are the same, perhaps begin with what feels really easy and gently work up - like 30 min walking and 30 light weights, and go from there. Good luck!!
  • kellieprindle
    kellieprindle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise because I have the same problem!! Just listen to your body :happy:

1628192.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    I think you got some great advice. The thing I love about MFP is that you can "earn" more calories on a daily basis (as opposed to some other websites that I have been on that calculate your exercise calories on a more weekly basis) so that you can see immediate results - if I work out today, I get to eat more today. That actually is one of my main motivators to work out. LOL!!!!

Here is what I do - I log my planned exercise before I do it so that I can see exactly how many extra calories it is going to earn me. Once you have that, you have more complete info for planning your meals. I think others had great ideas in suggesting that you plan your eating times around workouts so that you can eat when you are hungry, and also for noting that protein and fiber are going to help you feel fuller longer.

Start slow. Maybe even just go for a 30 minute walk and do some light weights to begin with, and get your body used to the extra activity and the change in eating, and then build up to some longer/more intense workouts.

Good luck!!!
  • shanefg
    Options
    Thanks guys for the info. I realy like the idea of earning extra callories so to speak. My treadmill has a callories counter but im not sure how acurate it is. I think it just goes by time as its fairly old and doesnt have an inbuilt heart rate monitor. But yes I think time has come to bite the bullet and take ownership and start exercising lol we will see how we go :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of beer. It helps to control your hunger by keeping you full.

I fixed it.