Name your other reason for working out? (beside looking good

Options
I suffer from depression and I admit there are days when I have to force myself to get into my workout gear. When I skip my workout my mood takes a nose dive. This sets me up for a binge fest and I end up feeling worse than I originally did. The only thing I've found that curbs my depression and anxiety is exercise. If I'm having an emotional day, I take it out on my workout.

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    this is pretty much me to a tee as well.
  • mefeight1964
    mefeight1964 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My body just generally moves better when I'm working out than it does when I'm not. I'm getting older (46) and I feel so much younger than my years when I'm active. I've gone the route of not taking care of myself and there's nothing like it to make you feel your age and beyond! :wink:
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I actually enjoy it!
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way also. I have to force myself to workout. However, after I finish my mood is generally 1000% better and seems to last longer. I suppose in the back of mind that is what drives me to continue to workout. One of my goals in weight loss is to get off the depression meds that I take which helps motivate me to go workout everyday!
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    I like the extra calories. LOL

But yes, I feel much healthier and happier over all when I workout regularly. Which always makes me wonder why it's so hard to stay motivated. You would think I would *want* to work out since it makes me feel so good.
  • Car0lina82
    Car0lina82 Posts: 22
    Options
    Because I deserve to feel good and stay healthy
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just hurt myself almost 7 weeks ago exercising...like seriously hurt myself. I realized not being in shape is actually dangerous. not having a good core and just muscle mass can result in you falling down and not being able to get yourself up...maybe not now but when I'm older it's completely possible. I need to strengthen my knee which i hurt, i need to be able to just do things without risking hurting myself and for future me I need to get in the habit of exercising so as an older woman i can take care of myself.

My Mother fell outside the bank in the rain a few months ago and couldn't get herself up without help. She laid there for 30 minutes in the freezing rain until someone came along and helped her up. She too is working out now...I don't want to be in that position. I want to be safer through exercise

Oh i'm also a HUGE klutz.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Same here. I've been feeling pretty down and I've found that walking/hiking in the country is extremely peaceful and soothing for me. I don't even take my headphones when I'm out in beautiful scenery.

Plus I'm an earth sign and little bit of a hippie, I feel at home being outdoors.
  • dshiemke
    dshiemke Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Depression as well. If I skip a couple of days, everything gets gloomy. If I exercise a half an hour every day, I stay on an even keel.
  • jandzsmom
    jandzsmom Posts: 14
    Options
    I suffer from depression and I admit there are days when I have to force myself to get into my workout gear. When I skip my workout my mood takes a nose dive. This sets me up for a binge fest and I end up feeling worse than I originally did. The only thing I've found that curbs my depression and anxiety is exercise.

This is me also. I've had to start doing things regularly to alleviate osteoarthritis pain, or the pain gets worse and I'm not even mobile. Talk about motivation! I've found to keep my depression 'in check' I have to be very structured about a lot of things. Depression has a way of sucking up your whole day into nothingness. I did read a book about self discipline and it has helped immensely!
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    It's something to do with the husband and I want to be strong enough to not be so jealous of the female video game characters I love so well.
  • azdvlz5
    azdvlz5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I work out to clear my mind and releave the tension of being a mom and life in general. I also find it helps me be in a better mood!
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    I have to stay in shape and maintain my stamina and strength if I want to continue to do martial arts. It's all about getting better.

I want to inspire my family. Can hardly name anyone who isn't overweight...

It feels damn good!! I don't know why it takes so much just to get my @$$ up and workout (perhaps because sleep feels good, too), but after I work out my mood is great, my body feels great, and I know it's good for my health.

It's an escape. My life generally sucks. When I work out, I can focus on something else and kinda have a good time, especially when I run with my dog.
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I love how different people's replies are!
    (would like to hear more from other people)
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from depression and have very bad anxiety (social mostly). Exercising really helps me.. it helps me forget why I was upset or anxious in the first place and it makes me feel strong. I've tried anti-anxiety meds and disliked the ones I tried.. exercising just helps clear my brain and focus on something else. Plus, listening to music (in my headphones) REALLY helps me.. so the music + exercising is amazing.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Zombies.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Stress relief. I've been able to stop taking my anti-depressant thanks to exercise! Except now, when I'm in an agitated or depressed mood, my husband doesn't ask, "Did you take your pill today?" He asks, "Did you run today?" :laugh: I can't go more than 2 days without strenuous exercise or I get too tightly strung.

I also like challenging myself. I'm never going to actually WIN a race, but I can beat my own time.
  • tiabugg217
    tiabugg217 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Stress relief. I would go postal if I didn't work out.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Actually, looking good is quite far down on my list of priroties when it comes to training. I left my obession with leaness behind a long time ago.

For me: a) to be strong b) to be functional in day to day life c) to feel good d) to be energetic e) endorphins baaaaaaby f) to look good
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I like it. It's a gift I give myself.