fat free. yay or nay?

Options
Just as the title suggests fat free is is to good to be true?

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I tend to say nay, but that's my opinion. If they found some way to remove the fat, they normally had to inject soooo many chemicals into the item that I no longer consider it actual food.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    usually when I product is fat free it has to make up the flavour some wheres else,this could be salt and or artificial sugars. I usually opt for the full fat version of anything as fat fre options often dont taste the same. Its all about portion.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Depends. If the food is naturally fat free, then go for it! If it's a food that isn't normally fat-free, avoid it.
  • SarahFrankel
    SarahFrankel Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a good fats/bad fats person. Nay to trans, definitely. Very little saturated, but some mono and poly are okay. And I agree about the fat free food products, they usually have too many chemicals and sugar in them. But whole, non-processed fat free foods are great :)
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about this as well. Looking forward to hearing responses.

I've found most fat free products to be extremely high in sodium. Ultimately, I'd like to get myself on a more nature-oriented diet and avoid processed foods altogether, but I'm not close enough to that goal yet, so I do need to watch fat/calorie/sodium levels.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a good fats/bad fats person. Nay to trans, definitely. Very little saturated, but some mono and poly are okay. And I agree about the fat free food products, they usually have too many chemicals and sugar in them. But whole, non-processed fat free foods are great :)

Yes, this ^^
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    With fat free you tend to get more sodium, I prefer light to fat free
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i wish denmark wasn't such a small & ****ty country (i can say that, i'm native) .. because we have maybe ONE product in TOTAL that comes fat free, i swear! .. i get so jealous when i see someone (i may stalk people on youtube) making a delicious dish & they're using fat free mozzarella. :(
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Depends. If the food is naturally fat free, then go for it! If it's a food that isn't normally fat-free, avoid it.

I agree. I go for fat-free sour cream, fat free milk, that sort of stuff, but other than that the only fat-free I go for is stuff that is naturally fat-free. Usually food marked fat-free is just "fake" healthy food. Its full of chemicals, including MSG, which can actually undermine your efforts because MSG can turn off the triggers in your brain that tell you you've had enough food. ALSO fat-free stuff can often have the same amount of calories as regular. There's my two cents!
  • emmaline8
    emmaline8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Depends on what it is. Fat free granola, for example, they take out the fat and add in more sugar- NAY. Fat free dairy products, on the other hand, I say yay because the only ingredient on my Fat Free Chobani is milk, so they obviously don't put anything funky in it. I've heard they just skim the fat off the top for fat free milk. Just read the ingredients and think about what you're eating.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Nay!! I used to be a fat-free addict, but it caught up to me. Low-fat is the way to go. Less sodium, usually the same calories (give or take), better fats, and tastes MUCH better! Even full fat can be beneficial - read labels!!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Nay! Then they are just loaded with more chemicals and substitutes. . . yuck:noway: . . . . better to go with the light or regular and just eat less.:smile:
  • vyolette
    vyolette Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm a sodium junky so i'd rather use salt on my veggies or meat than covering up the fat i'm eating.. but I will stick with diet soda vs regular.
  • HeatherScents
    Options
    My motto is: Eat real food, just eat less of it. Fat doesn't make you fat - calories make you fat. Yes, a gram of fat has twice as many calories in it than a gram of protein, but that's where the moderation kicks in.

Fat-free food confuses your body - it's getting the rich taste, but without the sustenance (calories). Same goes for artificial sweeteners. So then you'll end up still being hungry & eating more. Ever read the label of "fat-free sour cream"? (There's an oxy-moron if I ever heard one! lol) It's got so many un-pronounceable things in it. And if you'll notice, many fat-free foods don't even claim to be food. They are labelled "cheese product" or "milk product", etc...
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I hate fat free or sugar free version of product .. it's never like the real .. I prefer to learn to moderate my portion ....

plus i find i'm always hungry after eating low fat versions of things like yogurt...

There is some exceptions (like salad sauces) but, most of the time, fat free/ sugar free product arent a part in my strategy to cut the calories!
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    usually when I product is fat free it has to make up the flavour some wheres else,this could be salt and or artificial sugars. I usually opt for the full fat version of anything as fat fre options often dont taste the same. Its all about portion.

I generally agree with this perspective (with the exceptions of milk and yogurt...especially Greek yogurt). In our house we use reduced fat versions of some foods (e.g. sour cream) and healthier versions of others (e.g. mayo made from olive oil), but typically avoid fat free. We shop more for reduced sugar and reduced sodium anyway.
  • mefeight1964
    mefeight1964 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm selective of the fat free things I use. Mayo and salad dressings are two that I indulge in because they're used in small amounts and the calorie content between regular and fat free is HUGE. Other than that, I find that, as others have stated, fat free products are very similar in calorie content to regular items because manufacturers have to make up the flavor lost with some other unsavory ingredient, like sugars, sodium or other "fillers". Read labels and make choices based on a product to product basis.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    artificially produced fat free foods (as compared with natural fat free foods like produce) are a NAY. it was interesting to read about how artificial sweeteners are processed by the body and, well, its not so good and leads to more cravings. likewise, high fructose corn syrup = bad. also, added sodium = bad.

now, most folks hear "fat" and run for cover. However, dietary fat is very good for you. best forms of dietary fat are from EVOO, coconut oil, avocado, nut butters (especially natural nut butters...I really enjoy natural peanut butter), nuts, eggs (yes, the entire egg), salmon and other fish, krill fish oil, among a few others.

by the way, sugar, bread, artificial sweeteners become stored fat easier than healthy, dietary fat becomes stored fat. your body needs and will use the healthy, dietary fat.
  • elsieshaye
    elsieshaye Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Nay. I'd rather have one ounce of really nice, full-fat cheese and savor it than have 4 oz of fat free and feel cheated. Totally agree with the good fat/bad fat comment. We need fat in our diet, but only high-quality fat.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    A lot of fat free and low fat stuff have added sugar and salt, like a lot of people said. I tend to just choose lower fat food options in general. I do get fat free salad dressing if I can find one that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup (Wishbone Italian doesn't!)