Lapband?

Options
Has anyone here had a lapband? I'm thinking about talking to my doctor about it, but I'd like to hear some testimonials from people who have it. I'm 5'0", 221 pounds, lost 49 pounds, gained 14 back and I'm having a really difficult time losing again, despite being back on reduced calorie diet and back to the gym.

Replies

• 100poundsx
    100poundsx Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It's worth noting, I have 90+ pounds left to lose.
  • jyamiolk
    jyamiolk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would look at other options. This procedure is coming outdated and has a high potential for complications. There is not substantial weight loss as compared to other procedures. I looking to consider baiatriac surgery I would look at a procedure called the vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I know there is a very large push against surgery and concentration on CICO. I maxed out at 302 pounds and am 5' 10''. I had diabetes,high blood posture seep apnea etc. With the surgery I lost 120 pounds and have been maintaining y weight for the past 2.5 years using this app.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Didn't work at all for a friend of mine. Apparently you can still cheat the system by eating things like ice cream. They wound up gaining weight. I also suspect they weren't mentally prepared for some of the side effects (vomiting if you eat too much, etc). Be very honest with your doctor about your eating habits as that might influence whether they recommend gastric sleeve, a mini bypass, or something like lapband.
  • MoyMG
    MoyMG Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The lapband is an old technique. I had it installed in 2008, ended up with some serious problems that I won't go into here, but had it removed in 2012 and converted to a gastric bypass (I weighed 430 at the time.) What you want to look at is a sleeve, as @jyamiolk mentioned above. Talk with a good bariatric surgeon about this. Good luck! (PS: I lost 80 pounds with the lapband, had problems, gained it all back, had it removed, I now weigh 285 and dropping with the gastric bypass. Plus my diabetes symptoms disappeared the day after surgery, which happens for 85% of the people and nobody knows why.)
  • 100poundsx
    100poundsx Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to discuss my options. I am not sure if I am even a candidate for surgery but it's worth asking about.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    100poundsx wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to discuss my options. I am not sure if I am even a candidate for surgery but it's worth asking about.

no it's not reallly...I've seen too many other health issues arise due to these surgeryies...never mind they can and do fail frequently and the issues you will ahve to deal with later...

couldn't pay me to do it that way.