Standing - how would you log it for mild exercise?

Options
Have any of you ever logged "standing" in some way as exercise? I'm not talking about standing in line at the grocery store for a few minutes... I mean like many hours of standing such as at a concert or a party. Last night I was at a cocktail party where I stood / walked around for 5 hours non-stop in heels... Of course it wasn't a major workout, but I want to capture it (and offset my nibbles at the party)... my only real options seem to be choosing "fishing while standing", or choosing "walking 2.0 pace" and lessening the amount of time I did it. Any suggestions? :)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No, I would not log that. Standing does burn more calories than sitting and I know that there are some days when I stand for hours on end and then look at my step counter, thinking that surely I have a lot of steps, but have relatively few (e.g., days when I spend a lot of time in the kitchen) but I'd still not log that.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't log it. If I'm taking a long walk to a store and have to spend some time standing in line or at intersections, I try to move around a bit (e.g. 8 reps march in place, 8 reps heel dig, 8 reps toe dig, 8 reps leg lift, reverse order), but that's more so when I say I walked 90 minutes, I kept moving for 90 minutes instead of having to check my watch and deduct the time. I know I'm probably moving a bit slower, but I also clocked my walking pace at about 3.25 mph and I log it as 3.0, so it kind of balances.

Generally, if I'm not moving around, I don't think of it as burning extra calories.

I also sit on a stability ball for a few minutes every day, just reading a book. It's a mild core-strengthener and I think my posture is a little better. (Note: That isn't the only core exercise I do.) But I don't log it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I think the heels should count for something.

Other than that...I wouldn't log it as exercise.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    No point. I would just count it as bonus burn to offset maybe one beer at the concert.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Not something I would ever log.
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this is helpful.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Would you be standing still or slightly swaying from side to side?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Not worth it to log it. I have a standing desk and will stand for 4-5 hours a day and then i'm in the gym, walking around the city, etc. According to this calculator:
    http://www.juststand.org/OnlineToolbox/tabid/637/Default.aspx

• If standing while working: 625 calories burned
    • If sitting while working: 469 calories burned
    • Calorie-burn increase: 156

This is like nothing and completely negligible when accounted for the rest of my daily movement and exercise.
  • zannatagged
    zannatagged Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Not worth it to log it. I have a standing desk and will stand for 4-5 hours a day and then i'm in the gym, walking around the city, etc. According to this calculator:
    http://www.juststand.org/OnlineToolbox/tabid/637/Default.aspx

• If standing while working: 625 calories burned
    • If sitting while working: 469 calories burned
    • Calorie-burn increase: 156

This is like nothing and completely negligible when accounted for the rest of my daily movement and exercise.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Log it anyway, if you're disabled or have any kind of physical issues these things count. Don't let anyone on here tell you something doesn't matter. All the best on your journey ;) xox

:huh:
  • zannatagged
    zannatagged Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Please read what I wrote with regard to physical limitations instead of picking out one section of a paragraph to jump on. I don't know people's back stories, nor do you, so I don't JUDGE.

Please don't turn this thread into what you did to my thread and ruin the valuable information ppl provided me which I now cannot access because of your behaviour. Thanks. I won't be back so you can go ahead and have yr whatever last words as we all know you must.
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Did I miss OP saying she had physical limitations?

You didn't, but I do. I have a bad back that sometimes forces me to be carful with strenuous exercise. Until I lose some of this weight, traditional working out has not been recommended. Standing in low heels last night for so many hours made me sore when I woke up this morning, which is why I wondered if I could at least count it for *something* until I can actually exercise again like a regular person. I appreciated @zannatagged 's perspective... I'm not using this to justify eating massively over my calorie limit, I was just curious. I think everyone needs to take a deep breath! :)

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't log it. I would assume it was offset any extra gain in some part of the nibbles that I am certain to have accidentally underlogged