Meal prep horrors

Options
Hi guys. I'm looking for recipes or ideas of foods I can cook on a Sunday and throw in Tupperware to grab and go for the 5 day work week! Needs to be able to stay edible for 5 days ! Lunch and dinner (breakfast would be cool too) dinner won't be grab and go but if it's not quick and easy I'll buy pizza, let's be honest. Breakfast as well, unless it's a shake I won't spend more than 20 minutes to make it and eat it !

Thank you !

Replies

• JackRussellTerrierMom
    JackRussellTerrierMom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My go-to breakfast is 1 cup of wild rice, 1 cup of brown Basmati rice, 4 tablespoons of large Brewer's Yeast Flakes, 2 tablespoons of Chia seeds and Furikake seasoning (get it on Amazon in 6 packs). It has a ton of protein, fiber, less processed carbs than refined flour options so it will spike blood sugar more slowly and small amounts of good fats. My favorite lunch is a 1/2 portion of Trader Joe's Tabouleh, 1/2 portion of Trader Joe's Balela and a half can of rinsed black beans and half can of rinsed chickpeas. This lunch has a ton of protein, fiber, bean starches metabolize differently than other starches and increase probiotic activity in the gut and chickpeas have more amino acids than any other bean so it is complete protein. It is also less processed food so it will slow down your insulin response and fills you up for hours. My favorite supper is a bowl of mixed steamed vegetables with some kind of sauce over it, like lemon tahini dressing (takes 5 mins to make and has protein) , dill aioli (add dill to mayonnaise), Kirkland Basil Pesto (find it at Costco cheap and add it cold to hot chopped vegetables and it settles well). Sometimes I add 3 ounces of protein (Costco has frozen salmon patties and frozen ground sirloin patties that take 7-8 minutes to cook in small premade portions) These less processed, plant based meals all have fiber so are filling and decrease insulin release into the blood. Eating this way and cutting out sugar, I've lost 15 pounds in three months. I drink water with pure Stevia (Amazon has it cheap in bulk) and lemon concentrate. It tastes like a sweet treat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can make a pot of steel cut oats on Sunday and store it to eat throughout the week. Eat it warmed up or cold.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I make coffee protein shakes for breakfast, take a bar with me for a snack, a piece of fruit for another snack. My lunch is usually salad, so I just buy a bag or two to mix and throw some grape tomatoes and jarred peppers in there with lunch meet and a light dressing. I usually cook dinner, but might make enough to last two nights. Stir fry, spaghetti, rice and beans, taco meat, baked or grilled chicken, hamburger patties...can all be made ahead of time and reheated quickly.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Needs to be able to stay edible for 5 days !

idk if i'd trust anything cooked after 5 days if it had just been in the fridge. you can freeze just about anything in which case the 5-day thing isn't even a thing.

i stockpile leftovers from regular dinners throughout the week, and/or i make extra of anything that i am cooking and then freeze it. around that framework my big daily stuff is just fill-in things. staples are at least three things-that-grew-on-a-plant, sparing amounts of almonds or other nuts, and boxes of neutralish cereal like plain cheerios or shreddies. and bars with at least 20g of protein. oh, and a shake with whey isolate yogurt and fruit for breakfast. i make the yogurt once a week as part of my saturday thing.

and, yeah. if i get tired of all that then damn straight i cross the street and buy something from a food court once in a while.

• JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I food prep each week (for breakfast & lunch), here's my menu this week:

Breakfast: 2 (frozen) multigrain blueberry waffles, so I just bagged them in pairs and grab one each morning

Lunch: I cooked chicken breast in the crock pot Sunday, shredded it and portioned it into 2oz baggies, froze those and take 1 out each night to thaw for the next day. Cut/washed a bunch of romaine and put it in a Ziploc. Then I portioned out shredded cheddar, croutons and boiled some eggs and put those each in a bag (all together). So all I have to do in the mornings is put lettuce in a container, grab the waffles and bag of cheese/crouton/egg and I'm good to go. I keep the dressing and measuring spoon at work with me.

Took some time on Sunday, but now my mornings are really quick and easy. I tend to meal prep each weekend for the upcoming week.. it makes life so much easier.. and because I'm boring I just do the same thing each day of the week. (but different stuff each week)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A bowl of protein enriched cereal for breakfast takes about 20 seconds to 'prep' depending how far away your fridge is from the cupboard that houses your cereal...
  • kitzykarly
    kitzykarly Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like to make a batch of baked potatoes and freeze them. Then you can take one out at night to defrost and all you have to worry about are the toppings. Black beans and salsa is one of my favorites. You could also make a batch of light cheesy sauce and put over broccoli from a freezer pack!