Antidepressants

Options
2»

Replies

• Skittles6617
    Skittles6617 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    oops! that was supposed to a copy of a quote and response....lol..kind of foggy today :bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I take Lexapro for my mood disorder and it is to me the greatest pill ever. Not only does it curb my appetite and keeping me stable if I take it in the morning by like 8 am I find that come 10 pm all I can think about is crawling into bed and sleeping the good sleep.

Blessed be
    Mark
    I absolutely agree works for me as well in many positive ways...so much energy, curbs appetite for carbs.....least that's how it's working for me. I had my dose lowered but think I need to up it again for awhile as I'm going through some challenges currently.

Different things work for different folks but this is by far the best I've found for myself.
    FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I took Lexapro and it caused me to gain weight and I had to take it at night before I went to bed because for some reason it made me sleepy. I am 1000% better too now that I am completely off that stuff. It also caused a decreased sex-drive.

Drugs never solve anything. :noway:

:huh: Taking an antidepressant is a corrective measure for imbalances in neurotransmitters just like beta blockers are corrective measures for cardiovascular problems. Drugs solve many problems. The difference in antidepressants is that our brains are all wired differently, so influencing a given neurotransmitter won't have the same effect on everyone. That's no reason to tell someone it doesn't work--it just didn't work for you.

New research is emerging that depression and/or depressants to effect weight. Depression increases cortisol production, which breaks down protein. An overall decrease in muscle mass depresses metabolism. There hasn't been any causation assigned of course but there are trends.
    I too appreciate your input SBS:drinker: I think many truly don't understand that some of us need a boost to keep our seritonin level up, wow especially during the colder monthes where the days are shorter. So glad you help educate others by your Passion & knowledge of Science.:flowerforyou:
  • RunningSteph
    Options
    I used to take Effexor but it was just too expensive for my blood anymore so I asked the doc if I could try something a little more affordable and he put me on a generic form of Prozac. A really small dose too, I think they're 10 mg and I would go crazy without them.
  • LuvinLife
    LuvinLife Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have taken effexor, but it made me very tired and I had no energy. I took cymbalta and it was really good (more energy, felt good) for about 8 months then it seemed my body needed more to get the same effects so my dr upped it. The higher dose gave me headaches. I am now on wellbutrin xl and have been on it for about 1 1/2 years. It works wonderfully for me. I have energy and weight loss started immediately. It did take about 2 weeks before I slept well, but it evened out. I took prozac several years ago, but I really felt numb. I never got really mad, or sad, or happy. I couldn't cry even if I wanted to so I went off of it.

Long & Short of it is that you will probably have to try more than one before you find the one that works for you. Just keep communicating with your doctor and hopefully he/she will help you find the right one.

On the natural side, you could try St Johns Wort. For some, it is just enough.

Good luck!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that info song bird,

I know I suffer from PMDD for many years now, but the one time I took something for it (prozac), for about 3 months. I gained 30 pounds. I figured I rather be depressed than overweight, because being fat makes me more depressed. :cry: So I've been suffering and using diet and exercise to ease my symptoms. Recently I noticed my PMS is a little shorter sometimes. (less than 15 days) :ohwell: Maybe I will attempt another go at medication, cause life is really miserable during PMS. :sad:

You definitely want to get something to regulate your hormones...My problem was ignoring it to the point that I totally got way out of balance with the hormones. I cried continuously and could not tell you why. Had no feeling to life whatsoever about anything...Went to the dr and was diagnosed with PCOS which in turn is what triggered the depression and PMDD...I will battle this the rest of my life and no one yet knows what causes it...My dr. did also put me on Yaz BC Pills because it has medicine in it for PMDD and a diuretic as well....So once those are in my system, I am going to wean myself off the anti depressants in hopes the BC Pills will have enough medication in it to control the symptoms, you might want to try those BC Pills.
    [/quote]

Make sure your doctor knows you want to stop taking the antidepressants. Yaz only provides estrogen and progesterone, and while that can help with the PMDD and menstruation, it won't help a serotonin/norepinephrine/dopamine imbalance. Depending on what causes your depression, it may not be beneficial to stop taking the antidepressants.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Just needed to say...

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with the different type of meds. It has really opened my eyes and given me hope . :flowerforyou:
  • beagle595
    Options
    I Started taking 2000-3000 IU of Vitamin D3 * Daily, and 3000 units of Vitamin C a day, plus a multi-vitamin. ( I take 2mg of Lunesta only a couple nights to sleep) My Immune system also improved. I have 2 toddlers at home in pre-school, they are sick every other week. For the first time in years I haven't even the sniffles this year. Also take Iron and my Menstrual cycle is shorter, no migraines or cramping. .
    I FEEL LIKE A MILLION DOLLARS. :smile: :happy: :smile:
    My Oncologist and my son's Psychologist both advised that Psychiatrist are best for prescribing antidepressants/ they are 100% up on medicines their side effects and interactions with other medications. Also help you get to the root of your problems. They said Many Doctors only get info from the Manufactures Reps pushing the medications. Unless they go to seminars they're not totally informed. So just be careful if you don't feel any better in a couple weeks on medicines talk to your Doctor. Everyone knows how your own body feels when your healthy. (*My Doc put me on Cymbalta, increased it after a week/ no change. Then my blood pressure shot up from 120/75 to 156/135 which caused severe migraines. So then he wanted to put me on high blood pressure meds. I only wanted Lunesta to sleep. I was dealing with everything else/ Twin going thru Breast Cancer-2nd time, my Dad's heart attack, & my Son's Autism diagnose. :brokenheart: . So I wish I would have tried the vitamins first. ) BUT THAT IS ONLY ME...Every year I suffer from the Winter Blues, lack of Sunshine which is Vitamin D3. I WISH EVERYONE WELL. THIS IS ONLY MY HONEST OPINION OF MY OWN EXPERIENCE. I am a cancer survivor and try to keep unnatural substances now completely out of my body. EVERYONE TALK TO YOUR OWN PHYSICIAN. God Bless! :smile: And once I started feeling better I got stronger... and my emotional eating stopped because the black hole was gone. :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Just needed to say...

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with the different type of meds. It has really opened my eyes and given me hope . :flowerforyou:
    :flowerforyou: :wink:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I Started taking 2000-3000 IU of Vitamin D3 * Daily, and 3000 units of Vitamin C a day, plus a multi-vitamin. ( I take 2mg of Lunesta only a couple nights to sleep) My Immune system also improved. I have 2 toddlers at home in pre-school, they are sick every other week. For the first time in years I haven't even the sniffles this year. Also take Iron and my Menstrual cycle is shorter, no migraines or cramping. .
    My Oncologist and my son's Psychologist both advised that Psychiatrist are best for prescribing antidepressants/ they are 100% up on medicines their side effects and interactions with other medications. Also help you get to the root of your problems. They said Many Doctors only get info from the Manufactures Reps pushing the medications. Unless they go to seminars they're not totally informed. So just be careful if you don't feel any better in a couple weeks on medicines talk to your Doctor. Everyone knows how your own body feels when your healthy. (*My Doc put me on Cymbalta, increased it after a week/ no change. Then my blood pressure shot up from 120/75 to 156/135 which caused severe migraines. So then he wanted to put me on high blood pressure meds. I only wanted Lunesta to sleep. I was dealing with everything else/ Twin going thru Breast Cancer-2nd time, my Dad's heart attack, & my Son's Autism diagnose. :brokenheart: . So I wish I would have tried the vitamins first. ) BUT THAT IS ONLY ME...Every year I suffer from the Winter Blues, lack of Sunshine which is Vitamin D3. I WISH EVERYONE WELL. THIS IS ONLY MY HONEST OPINION OF MY OWN EXPERIENCE. I am a cancer survivor and try to keep unnatural substances now completely out of my body. EVERYONE TALK TO YOUR OWN PHYSICIAN. God Bless! :smile: And once I started feeling better I got stronger... and my emotional eating stopped because the black hole was gone. :flowerforyou:
    So very glad you found what worked for you Hon:flowerforyou: :heart:

• beagle595
    Options
    So very glad you found what worked for you Hon:flowerforyou: :heart:

Thanks FC... I still jump out of my skin from time to time.. but never as bad as it was. Thank God. Getting 8 hours of sleep definatley helps also. Be Well everyone! Salute! G. :smile: :flowerforyou: