Food before or after ???

Options
Been talking to my partner if I should eat before or after my workout and we are not sure. Anyone know ??? Thanks

Replies

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone will give you the scientific reason about which foods you eat and when depending on your goals. personally I train early morning and don't have a good workout unless I have some fuel. I can't stand eating before 7am so just have half a protein shake and BCAAs - made a huge difference for me.
  • tashab95
    tashab95 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually work out 4-5 and I can't stand eating in the morning either makes me feel just groggy all day
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    just eat a healthy diet, eat it any time of the day that works for you. i can't eat before i workout because i will throw up, so i usually eat after. and i sip on protein shake during my workout. Do whatever works best for you.
  • tashab95
    tashab95 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually drink water while exercising
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I am doing a pre-intra-post stack. I work out at 4:30am and don't eat a real breakfast. The pre has BCAAs, about 5g of carbs, and same caffeine as 2 cups coffee. The intra has some BCAA and about 3g of carbs. The post is 28g protein. I think it is helping me as I tend to not get hungry until about 9am and I just eat some almonds to carry me over until lunch. I don't know if it will help you but it shows you another point of view.

I have read that getting some protein directly after weight training helps prevent catabolism and decreases recovery needed. Not sure about the catabolism thing but I can say my recovery, since I upped my protein to 40% macro, is much better.
  • girlgeeklula
    girlgeeklula Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If I think I'm going to be doing a harder or longer workout, I'll eat something small and light. Otherwise, I wait to eat after my workout. I've never had issues with performance when I don't eat before, but I make sure to eat soon after I finish.
  • Miffy2610
    Miffy2610 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Light carbs about hour before exercise and protein in the first hour afterwards. Look at your macros to make sure what you are eating contains the right mix of carbs protein fat and sugar.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I can't work out without eating first, I just become lethargic. Since I work out first thing in the morning, I eat a normal breakfast (which for me means high protein, moderate carbs and some fat) before exercising, then, if the workout is strenuous, I'll have some Greek yogurt, nuts or a protein shake after, but that's me.

I think this is one of those times that one size doesn't fit all. Find out what works for you and do that.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It's really about how you feel. I can't eat before a workout, it takes too long to settle.
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    As others have said it all about when you feel comfortable eating. I can't eat before I workout or I feel sick and have bad acid reflux.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It depends on the length & intensity of the workout and your own personal preferences. During the week I'll usually only have coffee before going for a run (up to 10km or so) for my longer Sunday runs I'll have something very light like a banana & yogurt at least an hour before heading out the door. If I'm racing I'll eat something more substantial ate least a couple of ours before the gun goes off.

I can eat before riding and prefer to eat before doing strength.

It really comes down to a bit of trial and error as to what suits you.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    tashab95 wrote: »
    Been talking to my partner if I should eat before or after my workout and we are not sure. Anyone know ??? Thanks

Whatever makes you the most comfortable. I HAVE to eat before my pool workout because I have gone hypoglycemic sometimes while swimming laps. Usually a snack bar gives enough carbs to prevent it. Otherwise I usually prefer after.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tashab95 wrote: »

It doesn't matter...

Personally, I need a few hours to digest if I eat before hand.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's what works for you.
    For me, I need to have something about 1 1/2 hrs before I lift, usually 2 greek yogurts. Then I eat after lifting. I've attempted to lift without eating something beforehand and I get sick to my stomach.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    When I workout in the morning, I do it first thing and eat after. If I'm doing a workout after work, I eat a snack(like a banana) around 3 pm.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Miffy2610 wrote: »
    Light carbs about hour before exercise and protein in the first hour afterwards. Look at your macros to make sure what you are eating contains the right mix of carbs protein fat and sugar.

Nope. None of that matters. That's bro-science nonsense. Nutrient composition is only important over the longer term. Nutrient timing is irrelevant.