Back at this again. Could use a little help.

Options
So, about 2 years ago I was using this app and successfully losing weight. However, I have a pretty sedentary lifestyle and my job has crazy hours and is mentally and sometimes physically exhausting and that makes it hard for me to find the motivation I need to work out and eat right. I'm currently trying to keep daily workout entries to try and encourage myself to do at least something every day. It doesn't always work, but it's been helping. But I could use a bit more motivation and/or tips from people about how to start a healthy habit and keep it up. I don't have support at home and I don't have friends where I live to workout with, so I'm doing this all by myself and is not easy.

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Making mini goals helps me, check out this group and join us. We start a new thread each week with small attainable, mini goals. Even if you don't meet the mini goals perfectly. The goal is to stay mindful and be consistent not perfect and if you do this you will eventually reach your ultimate goals. Check out link and feel free to join us: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/625-mini-goal-one-week-challenge
  • candjmunoz
    candjmunoz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I started (May 6th) I had 127 lb to lose. I was very sedentary and not motivated to exercise. I made diet and exercise goals that I thought I could keep.

First, I have a 2-pounds-per-week weight loss goal. If you don't want to be that aggressive, don't. Do what you WILL do. Second, I made a commitment to exercise 10 minutes a day. At 267 pounds, that was a lot! Over the weeks I have increased my exercise time, but my MINIMUM is always 10 minutes.

Inside my pantry (out of sight for visitors, but close enough to be handy) I have a calendar that I mark my successes on. Yellow if I exercise, blue if I come in under my calorie goal, and green if I do both. It's really small like checkboxes, but I color them in. I have exercised more than 70 days in a row and come in under my calorie goal more than 50 days in a row. My success for the day does not depend on how much weight I lost, but how consistently I worked my plan. The last 2 days have been birthday party and prep days, so I exercised 10 minutes, but in the past week or so I have exercised as much as 100 minutes ... because I have come to enjoy it!

I knew for myself that I had to choose small goals that would be easy to keep. I thought that even if I was sick I could probably exercise 10 minutes. I also know that I do better with an every-day goal rather than an every-other-day goal. If I exercised yesterday and not today, I probably wouldn't exercise tomorrow. But to break a 70 day streak? That is hard to swallow!

Everyone is motivated by different things. I encourage you to find what motivates YOU.

:smile:
    Janis
  • candjmunoz
    Options
    Oh ... and I have been exercising inside (it's hot in Texas right now!). I have a hula hoop and a Simply Fit Board. The hula hoop burns ~70 calories in 10 minutes and the Simply Fit Board burns ~60 calories in 10 minutes (that's an estimate based on random info online ... it doesn't seem like anyone has studied it yet.
  • catesdl
    catesdl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I saw this post. You are an encouragement to me. I weigh about 280 lbs and really want to lose the weight and be healthier. I need serious support to succeed. I pray that God will give me the desire and motivation. How much weight have you lost since May?
  • candjmunoz
    Options
    catesdl wrote: »
    I'm so glad I saw this post. You are an encouragement to me. I weigh about 280 lbs and really want to lose the weight and be healthier. I need serious support to succeed. I pray that God will give me the desire and motivation. How much weight have you lost since May?

I just saw this. We're you asking me? I just weighed in and I've lost a total of 30 pounds (in 13 weeks)! My measure of success is whether or not I exercise and come in under my calorie goal, but the weight loss is so rewarding!