Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is the Calorie-- Calculator wrong?

I am trying to figure out how many calories I need a day. I went to the calculator on this site and it said to lose 1 pound a week, I should consume 2,020 calories a day. I added the weight at 280 with no exercise.

Then when I put the exercise at 60 minutes a day, the calculator still stayed at 2,020 calories a day, it did the same when I put that I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week. It said I should eat 1,520 calories a day. With or without exercise. I thought if you exercised you earned more calories.?

Replies

• jpeebs88
    jpeebs88 Posts: 81
    It only changes your calorie goal after you add the exercise on a day to day basis. The estimate is still right.
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    You can plan to exercise and then not do it, so exercise is only counted if you log it for a particular day.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    It only changes your calorie goal after you add the exercise on a day to day basis. The estimate is still right.

This is the right answer.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    MFP assumes you eat back your exercise calories so your calories dont change when you add exercise
  • So, if I exercise, I can eat more calories, that the 1,520?
  • squidgely
    squidgely Posts: 29 Member
    Thats right. My calorie counter says I need to eat 1290 calories a day to lose a pound a week. I exercise so I can eat more! I do for example 45 minutes of zumba and that allows me an extra 360 calories to eat. Its working so far and I have 9 pounds left to lose.
    Sarah xxx