Calories To Start

Options
Why when you put your stats in myfitnesspal at the start it calculates a lot of calories for you to eat.

Replies

• animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think you need to give us some more information, your stats? Your goals? What your desired rate of loss is? What are the calories It's telling you I don't know what alot means to you? x
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Still not really much information but for a 30 year old man, 5'10" weighing 278lb and a sedentary lifestyle you'd be looking at about 2700 cals to maintain. For a loss of 1lb per week you would be eating about 2200 cals per day.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    How many calories did MFP give you when you plugged your stats into the app?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Why when you put your stats in myfitnesspal at the start it calculates a lot of calories for you to eat.

It calculates how many calories you need to achieve your goals using the stats you put in. There are many variables - you need a certain amount to enable your body to maintain normal function at the size it is. Being bigger means you have more body to "run" than a smaller person.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you feel you've been given too many calories you could change your goals to 2 pounds a week loss and see how you go? 2 pounds is still less than 1% of your weight a week so it should be safe for you to do so.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I will adjust my calorie goals

Why not just put your stats in to MFP, and try the calories they suggest (by getting a food scale and logging accurately). Try that for a month. Adjust after that if necessary
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Also have you started weighing on a food scale and logging everything. That is less then you think it is.
    I know I was amazed when i started logging that i would weigh out something and wow what i thpught was very few calories was a ton. So try the mfp numbers for a few weeks logging as accuratly as you can. You will lose weight and learn habits so you can when you get to a lower weight sustain that.