Are these the correct calories?

Options
I am now 258 pounds having lost a total of 60 over the last year.

I am female, 5 foot 6 and do little exercise due to arthritis.

I lost a good amount myself but lost motivation and put on around 10 pounds and so decided to try slimming world. I have lost 28 pounds since May with them.

However thinking about going back to MFP.

Before May my calories were 1340 per day.

I have put in my current weight and have been given 1240 calories.

Been trying to eat on 1240 for the last 2 days and find its too little

How many calories should I have?

Will I lose weight if I go back to 1340?

Feeling confused and hungry

Thanks for reading this any help is appreciated

Replies

• clags301
    clags301 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Only your body can tell you. If you're losing 0.5 -1.5 per week at current level, then that's probably right. If you are losing more you can increase incrementally until you find you are losing at an acceptable (to you) rate.
    All calorie calculators are just an estimate, with soooo many variables. Just a starting point, and then it's trial and error.
  • mandy220750
    mandy220750 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks

How do adust the calories back to 1340?

Does anyone know?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You will continue to lose weight as long as you are under your maintenance calories (total daily energy expenditure....or TDEE).
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

The way MFP works, you get your calorie goal based on height, weight, age, and activity level.....this includes zero exercise. Then MFP subtracts a number based "I want to lose XX pounds per week."

So you have 2 choices - eat more and lose weight more slowly OR add exercise, eat more and lose at the rate you signed up for.

As @clags301 pointed it out....it's all estimates. Choose a daily goal that helps you stay consistent.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I"m not sure what you have your target set at for weekly weight loss. I can tell you I am 5'4", mostly sedentary, currently 166#, and I'm set at 1260 a day to lose 1#. Please recheck your settings. When I was at 206, I got over 1400 calories trying to lose 1# per week. You are taller and are carrying more weight, so you should have a target higher than mine.

The most important thing about this process is to make sure it is sustainable. If you have it set to lose 2# per week, but you are feeling miserable, change it to 1# a week for a while and get that 500 calories per day back. You will still see losses, but you will be more satisfied. and clags301 is right - your body is the only 100% accurate tracker. Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    Thanks

How do adust the calories back to 1340?

Does anyone know?

To manually adjust calorie goal, go to MY HOME> Goals
  • schtump
    schtump Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    You will continue to lose weight as long as you are under your maintenance calories (total daily energy expenditure....or TDEE).
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

The way MFP works, you get your calorie goal based on height, weight, age, and activity level.....this includes zero exercise. Then MFP subtracts a number based "I want to lose XX pounds per week."

So you have 2 choices - eat more and lose weight more slowly OR add exercise, eat more and lose at the rate you signed up for.

As @clags301 pointed it out....it's all estimates. Choose a daily goal that helps you stay consistent.

I use a fitbit to get that number. And while I miss logging my exercises here I find my fitbit does a pretty great job of adjusting my calories to include my activity.
  • mandy220750
    mandy220750 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I have checked and have 2lb a week loss recorded.

Managed to change calories to 1340 per day

Will see how it goes for a couple of weeks.

If I am not losing will adjust calories or weekly goal.

Wish I could do more exercise. Just to be able to walk without pain would be so wonderful.

Restricted by arthritis.

Just been cutting my lawn and a litttle gardening, Knees dont like it. Painful

Waiting to see a Physio, so hopefully I can improve my mobility which with weight loss should help