Tackling boredom hunger

Options
Hi everyone, any fellow boredom hunger sufferers out there?

I sometimes go out for walks if the weather is nice which works well, but obviously that's not always possible. I've had several people tell me to drink more water, but I already drink a lot as it is and have found that it doesn't make much difference to me personally. I don't keep a lot of junk food in the house, but I just feel hungry all the time and it's really frustrating, especially when I know that I'm not actually hungry.

I'm waiting to start a new job in a couple of weeks, so I have a lot of spare time on my hands for the time being. I imagine it will be much less of an issue when I'm back at work, but it's going to be testing me in the meantime. My boyfriend bought me a kindle so I've started reading more, which has had mixed results, but I'd love to hear how you distract yourself from this feeling? :)

Replies

• rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    LMAO. The concept of boredom "hunger" is funny to me. As if you wouldn't be hungry otherwise.

Anyway, I don't get bored :|
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If I find myself getting bored and can't get outside, I'll either immerse myself in a game or exercise inside.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    What helps me is to look around my house and make a list of things I'd like to get done. Vacuum, reorganize a closet, wash all sheets and remake all beds (3 kids here so it's a task, lol), empty out kitchen cabinets/clean them/put stuff back, etc.. If I were just sitting around then yes I'd snack a lot too. Hope this helps!
  • MikeEsko
    MikeEsko Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Drink ice water. Workout. Challenge my brain in anyway... if you challenge your brain you have to spend your time thinking about something else and tend to stop thinking about food. It doesnt even have to he something that intense. Here are some simple ideas. Drawing, organize something, research the childhood of your favorite star, learn an instrument, start your christmas list, rearrange your room, take something apart and put it back together, take up photography, learn how to do somethi g you always wanted to do, write a short story, etc.. just figure out anything you can do to occupy yourself. I once spent an hour trying to cone up with how a speck of dust got on my table, lol. It was a story that involved high buildings, time travel, and pirates.
  • BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Eating out of boredom is one of the biggest diet killers out there for sure.

What personally helps me combat this is to snack on foods that are low calorie but filling. My favorites are:

1) Broccoli salad: 300g steamed broccoli mixed with Greek yogurt ranch or Caesar dressing. Very filling for about 200 calories depending how much dressing you use. Plus you can snack on this throughout the day.

2) 50 calorie popcorn bags: Not exactly filling but the quantity is good for boredom eating.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Keeping lots of low-calorie snacks around helps me. I don't really get bored but I do get into a snacky mood when watching Netflix.

Stuff like celery, baby carrots, cherries, sugar-free jello cups, etc.

• elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hot tea, unsweet iced tea with lemon, sparkling water, ...BCAAs... also a part of my arsenal.

zero and low calorie nonsense. :)
  • MikeEsko
    MikeEsko Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Keeping lots of low-calorie snacks around helps me. I don't really get bored but I do get into a snacky mood when watching Netflix.

Stuff like celery, baby carrots, cherries, sugar-free jello cups, etc.

Dem sugare free jello cups are a life saver. Sugaefree popsicles too!
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hey, yeah I get bored sometimes, I watch tv or play a game, I find sucking a sugar free polo helps with unwanted hunger pangs, I have finally got rid of an irritating habit I used to do whilst bored and that was I kept walking over to my fridge and looking in... I hated that habit lol whenever I had the urge to do that I would fill up my water bottle or run up and down stairs, I read my kindle whilst using my exercise bike.
    If you're not into watching tv or gaming, reading, cleaning, jigsaw puzzle, sudoku, any other puzzle game like that... or any hobby that doesn't involve food :) a friend of mine draws and has an adult coloring book which helps her alot.