Keto diet has worked for me but now I have two ?'s

I'm 53, Male. Originally 80#+ overweight but I've dropped 50# in last 4 months; getting better at this "healthy lifestyle" each month & so now I'm focused on Keto diet with two ?'s:

(1) Folks say they eat 1-2 avocados/day for its good fat but that would exceed the 20g carb limit I'm chasing so I'm taking (drinking) Extra Virgin Olive Oil like its food [is that dangerous in & of itself???] & I'm confused by their comment given my desire for ketosis (gross vs. net carbs?): &

(2) Who get 4700 mg. of Potassium/day when supplement tabs are typically only 99mg due to concerns RE: over-Potassium risk & you can only eat so many 300-400 mg (Potassium) bananas/day......

Can anyone "set me straight" on these two issues?

L- Ga.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Eat avocados if you like them. There's not must eat rules about it though. There are many fat sources out there like olives, nuts, coconut, eggs, meats, and full fat dairy. Keto is usually under 20-50g of carbs per day. Just workaround that. 10g one day and then 40g on another day may work fine for you.

But don't force your fats. Consider protein a goal To hit and carbs a ceiling to stay under. Fat fills in the rest. If you choose fatty foods there is usually no need to drink olive oil... Unless it is something you enjoy.

Sodium is the main electrolyte you want to supplement. Is you get 3000-5000 mg of sodium per day, the body will have no need to leech out your potassium body stores. One teaspoon of salt is about 2300 mg of sodium.

If you are worried about potassium, there are other better sources than bananas - avocados for one. ;)

Join the Low Carber Daily MfP group for more help.
    Congrats on your success so far.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    1-2 teaspoons of No Salt (salt substitute) will give you all the potassium that you need. :)
  • BlueJasmine2
    BlueJasmine2 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi,
    That is fantastic that you are having a go and loosing weight. Keep up the great work!

A friend of mine and I are both doing Intermittent Fasting and using the Ketogenic Diet and having great success with it. My friend does a fair bit of his own research... I, on the other hand, like a visual to help me, so I use The Diet Doctor. They have some good recipes.

An example with your Macros is Salmon (baked or fried), half an avacado, and two 25g pieces of Tasty (cheddar) cheese. The cheese is good for bumping up your fats. Banana's, while great for potassium, they are also full of carbs... so I have backed off of them.

Good Luck with your journey!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    OK to drink olive oil.
    You are getting enough potassium. It just does not show up in the MFP database because the US does not
    require it on food labels.
    Bacon is a good source of fat.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Drinking olive oil sounds disgusting.

The majority of carbs in an avocado are attributed to fiber, which are absorbed in the body differently than other carbs. Many people don't count fiber toward their carb or calorie totals, which is probably getting at the net carbs question.
  • ArfontheWarrior
    ArfontheWarrior Posts: 13 Member
    Hello, I used to chase down potassium because deficiency may cause leg cramps! Morton's lite salt has potassium! Read the labels. By researching Ketosis plan, I found that magnesium helps with cramps! I like mayo made with avocado oil and raw pecans for my fat! I also eat Salmon! Am I on the right track?
  • ArfontheWarrior
    I try to keep net carbs to 21g or less, percent fat at 70% of calorie intake or less and the rest is protein! I am fairly new at this. I am losing weight and just now starting to make my own meals! I have been working with flax meal to make my own breads!
  • wordlarry
    wordlarry Posts: 4 Member
    Yes..I too am starting to experiment. I also crave breads (you fix that would you?) but am focusing my experiments on "Sugar free" jello, adding ceyenne pepper to it to increase metabolism say in morning fasting window.... (I also need the sodium that even SF jello has, like its taste, etc.)
    **but this jello idea may not be a good one because (about that same time) something has caused me to stall?.

1 step forward, 2 back....kinda thing
  • ArfontheWarrior
    8uo1pd6u5p4u.jpg

Check this out if you want to research info on low carb bread! This bread says 9g carb 4g fiber per serving of one slice!
  • ArfontheWarrior
    I have been told, but don't know the info myself, that stalling is part of the process!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Some high potassium low carb foods you can add to your diet would be

fresh baby spinach
    salmon
    halibut

If you ARE eating bananas i'm assuming you could also include the following which have much better potassium content

kiwis
    cantaloupe
    tomatoes
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Also I don't see a difference between putting 1tbs olive oil on your salad or eating it off a spoon (other than one would be nasty but that's your business and taste lol)
    I regularly drink a teaspoon of fish oil; it's the same.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    Most meats will contain lots of potassium (140 grams of chicken breast has almost 360 mg) - but like was said above, it's not listed because the government regs don't require it to be listed. Also, if you are getting enough sodium, then you really shouldn't need to worry about potassium.

One other thing - be very careful in supplementing potassium - too much can cause very serious (life threatening) problems.
  • ArfontheWarrior
    Good info, I will do the research. I do eat baby spinach and salmon! Since I have been taking magnesium supplements I have noticed that I haven't been cramping! I also take Nature Made Multi Vitamin for Him.
  • ArfontheWarrior
    If u are looking for potassium I do know that sun dried tomato's are very high in potassium! Low Sodium regular v8 tomato juice has 26% daily potassium but i believe carbs for one serving is 10g with about 2g fiber!