C25K help

Options
Today was my first day of the C25K (Couch to 5k) and lets just say that it was tough for me. I've never done a run before. Week one, day one consisted of 5 minutes of a brisk walk, alternating 60 seconds jogging and 90 seconds walking for a total of 20 minutes, and then a 5 minute cool down walk and stretch. I got really excited because I thought it would be great and I could actually start running for once. I ran outside today on a back road that was pretty hilly. I completed the time but could only run for 30 seconds tops at a time. I ended up power walking most of it. Running was a bit difficult because I have a rather large chest and even with a regular bra and 2 sports bras, they still made my back hurt.

What are suggestions to make this easier? I really really want to be able to run but this just hurt to much. Should I try power walking the entire time first? I'm pretty used to power walking because that's what I normally do for some cardio. Would doing the entire circuit while standing in one place work? I'm not really sure how to go about this.

Replies

• justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If it's just your boob issue that is causing you problems then I think it would be good for you to get onto google and find some websites for ample women and find a bra which will give you some really good support and help!!

If it's your fitness then don't worry, just keep doing it until you can do week one day one, you WILL be able to do it. I was 16stone 6 when I first started c25k and I was so unfit, I did no exercise at all. I pushed through and did it and so can you!!!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Running is not for everyone. You do NOT have to run to be in shape, or to lose weight. Do it only if you WANT to run.

I could NOT do that when I started here last August. I had to walk before I could run, I mean walk a lot. I only started C25K in June. I also had to lose some weight before I could run, my knees bothered me.

Also if you have big boobs like me invest in an Enell Sports Bra. They're like 60 bucks but the ONLY way I can run. Under Armor makes some good ones for big boobs too. I started at a 40DDD and now I'm a 36DD.

Edit: Also if you have a smart phone or an ipod touch download the app. It tells you when to walk and run so you don't need to watch the clock. It's by Bluefin and it's a green little X looking guy on the Apple App store.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of a great sports bra. They are totally worth the money. So is a great pair of running shoes. It is worth it to get fitted for a great pair of shoes at a running store.
    It is ok to ease into it. If you can only run for 30 seconds, build on from that. This is a plan, but it isn't for everyone. Feel free to repeat weeks if you need to. There is also a C25K plan that is longer than 9 weeks, more like 15 for people who need more time. I don't have a link to it anymore, but if you search for it, you can probably find it.
  • amandarenee31
    amandarenee31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm a little short on cash at the moment so I'm going to have to wait on the bra. I've been really wanting a pair of the new nike running sneakers that have the ultra flexible soles.

What are some other things I can do that don't require any extra money? Running might not be for everyone as was stated above, but I don't want to give up after only the first day. I'm planning on giving this a decent try before I decide if I really am not a runner.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    WALK alot and run as much as you can during the intervals. Feel free to repeat week one for an extra week or two.

Give your body the rest days inbetween. Starting running puts ALOT of stress on your joints. They need time to recover.
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    my suggestion is to try to "run" for the full 60 seconds, just go really slow. a lot of people do that. a big part of running is building up the muscles in your legs to take the impact of the running motion versus the walking motion. so definitely try to do 60 seconds of "running," even if that running ends up being slower than if you just walked.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Go sloooow, run very very very slowly. Most people are bad self regulators so they run too fast and then tire out. The TIME doesn't go faster if you do.

Check out jog.fm for ideas on what to look for to listen to to keep your pace. I started at about a 16 min mile (walk/run/walk/run etc) and the music helps.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    1. find a flat road to use. its much harder to walk/run over hills.

2. at this point, "run" should mean "slow jog". don't worry about your pace. the pace will pick up after you do this for a while. for now, jog slower than you think you can jog. doing that will help you complete each segment.
  • amandarenee31
    amandarenee31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. I'll try the very slow jog thing as well as listening to different music as opposed to the metal I listen to usually lol - That kind of music usually gets me so pumped for a workout but I guess I should listen to opposite in this case. I'll try this tomorrow and post back with an update. Tomorrow, I might just do week one day one and just go back and forth in my driveway as it's pretty flat.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    hello and well done on your first day!

ok some tips: as others have already mentioned: a comfy sports bra should do the trick. have u looked on ebay? you might find a bargain there. i would say invest on a good bra before you go buying new shoes.

definitely try and run a flat bit of road if you can, hills can be quite intimidating when u first start and will put you off. As for running in week one- its more of a jog and when i first started i walked a lot quicker than i ran. i think this is where most people go wrong thinking they have to sprint! take your time with it.

remember its a guide not a rule. so if u need to repeat weeks or skip weeks go for it. once you find your rythm you will be fine!

try and google some podcasts for c25k. some have music set with them and have prompts which tell you when to run and when to walk etc. i used www.runningintoshape.com/

good luck! you can do it! i struggled in the beginning but soon found my rythm :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Go very slow at first. As slow as you can run without it being easier to walk. And there's no saying you can't have a Week 1/2, where you run 30 seconds at a stretch, before going into Week 1.

And hills are EVIL. They suck the life out of everyone!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    hiya!

i started off running from one lamp post to the next. i had to build up to running 60 secs over about 2 weeks!

and go as slow as possible when you run. and when you walk, go slow too (to begin with). that's how i did it. walk to catch your breath. if you get too out of breath you're not going to be able to keep going. catch your breath before you get going again.

i still remember the first day that i didn't get out of breath first! it felt like a huge achievement!

it's difficult to begin with. but do what you can- it does not take long for your tolerance to build. the important thing is that you're doing it. you build it into your life and it can become a bit of an addiction!

i'm helping a few friends of mine get going on this too. i'm going with them. we don't go anywhere near a hill (bad idea!). and to begin with we jogged 30 secs, walk 2 mins (x3), then jogged 45 secs, walk 2 (x3), then the last one was run 60. once we ran 60 secs once, they kept doing it for the rest of that week.

don't forget too that you kind of have to learn how to run! my mate was slapping her feet on the ground and complaining that her ankles hurt. you need to learn how to run- it's definately not natural. it takes a little while to stop feeling awkward.

oh, and the first 10 mins of a run are called the 'toxic 10'. that's because they're always the most difficult part of the run. so in order to get the runners buzz, you need to build up to that 10 mins. and it really is achievable, but it does take time and commitment.

good luck with it. if you stick at it, i promise you it will get easier.