Adding Protein

Options
I've been tracking macros and I need to increase protein and reduce fat. Suggestions?

Replies

• jamierutberg
    jamierutberg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't have a good tip, but I have this same issue!
  • crskoglund
    crskoglund Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try to incorporate lean meats into your diet. Chicken, especially chicken breasts, give you great bang for your buck in terms of protein-to-calories. It's also low in fat compared to beef, pork, etc. -- though unless there's some specific reason you need to watch your intake, I wouldn't stress about going over your 'limit.' Fats will help keep you full longer.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Chicken Breast

ETA: Skinless
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Chicken or turkey breast, fish, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, Canadian bacon, tofu, shellfish are just some suggestions for high protein, low fat.
  • Tim_Redfearn
    Tim_Redfearn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Protein powder and lean meats (chicken, fish). Fats are fine just make sure they are healthy fats (e.g avocado)
  • MikeEsko
    MikeEsko Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Turkey Breast and Powders. Oh and another thing. I make at least one turkey a month because it is the cheapest way to eat meat and I love it, but that's beside the point.. the reason why I bring it up is it is super high in aminos with a 1:4 carb to protein ratio and it has 19 different amino acids. By me I get a 15# turkey for about 18 dollars. Cooks down to about 12 pounds after liquid and bones are removed. I serve 8 oz servings for Hi protein diet. That mean I get 24 meals for 18 dollars. Good stuff.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If you are worrying about lowering fat because of some default macro setting and not because it is crowding out protein, then just ignore it. If it is crowding out protein, then:

lowfat greek yogurt and cottage cheese; lean meats (fish, 93/7 ground beef/turkey, skinless chicken,..), protein powder/bars, egg whites. (Or cut out wherever you are getting the high fat from -if it is not from meat - to make more room for less lean protein sources).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,561 Member
    Options
    This thread (link below) points to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency: Most protein for fewest calories. That inherently implies that foods nearer the top of the list have more protein & less fat. Find things near the top of the list that you like, and eat more of those, less of something else.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat less fruit and carbs.
    Eat more meat, fish and other seafood and beans, peas, lentils:
    Pork chops, small steak, cheese burger without the bun, crustless pizza, versions of spaghetti and lasagna without pasta (various veggies instead)
  • LindaCan2
    LindaCan2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try a Premier Protein drink. 30 grams protein.
  • mustangdreamer
    mustangdreamer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions all. I could definitely do more veggies, legumes. I will definitely look at whether or not I'm crowding out protein. Thanks for the guidance, resources and just the encouragement.