Healthy Alfredo sauce?

Options
kendrahall24
kendrahall24 Posts: 2 Member
Fav food ever! Anyone got a recipe for Alfredo???

Replies

• KiraChristiansen
    KiraChristiansen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love alfredo sauce, and have not been able to find a substitute for the real thing(though I do substitute a lower-fat milk/cream usually-half&half instead of whipping, etc). I try to make sure to portion control/ adjust the rest of my day when the urge comes around. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful...
  • inkedillini26
    inkedillini26 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My husband and I love alfredo sauce. I have never tried to find a lower calorie version, we just focus on fitting it into our calorie allowance and plan ahead. We also use it with lower calorie foods and make the portions of sauce we use smaller.

One of our favorite meals is alfredo spaghetti squash with sauteed shrimp and asparagus...its super filling and the base is really low calorie - especially because we don't cook any of the veggies or shrimp in butter and use just a touch of olive oil on the spaghetti squash. Then we will use half the suggested serving size of the sauce. It is enough to cover everything, and really kicks my craving!
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I would make the real stuff and serve over chicken and veggies instead of pasta.
  • wecanh2
    wecanh2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This one is on the healthier side and sooo delicious. http://www.parentguidenews.com/RecipesFamilyMealtime/VeganFettuccineAlfredo
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Ex gf tried some vegan alfredo sauces like Victoria Vegan Alfredo made from cashews. Slightly lower in calories than regular. Hard to find a good noon dairy alfredo sauce I think......
  • diliveslife
    diliveslife Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Classico makes a light one I just found at the grocery outlet and tried last night. Yum with a lil fresh parm. It isn't as thick but taste is on point and only 40 calories per serving
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine makes a pasta Alfredo. I'll cook it and add a bunch if veggies or a piece of grilled salmon. It fits the bill for me
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    aseelluv wrote: »
    Gurl u tryna lose weight why u even thinking out alfredo.... doodeah

If it fits her calories, why shouldn't the OP eat it if they enjoy it, @aseelluv ?

Weight loss is all about calories. I still eat alfredo (and chocolate.... mmm).
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I'm not familar with Alfredo, but you can make a low calorie white sauce by thickening milk with cornflour (cornstarch). It will be bland on its own, but some salt, pepper and garlic will help, and maybe a veg or chicken stock cube.

I'd stay away from mixing the parmesan through the sauce. Season the sauce well with salt and herbs, then sprinkle parmesan on top. You get more flavour that way for fewer calories.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Look up "Laughing Cow alfredo." Those little wedges of flavored cream cheese make a surprisingly good alfredo. There are a gazillion recipes but the easiest is just to use an herb flavored one and add a little milk. It's not a cheap way to do it but certainly convenient. A wedge of Laughing Cow garlic & herb flavored is just 35 calories.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    That's an interesting recipe, @runningforthetrain - have you tried it? How did it taste?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    wecanh2 wrote: »
    This one is on the healthier side and sooo delicious. http://www.parentguidenews.com/RecipesFamilyMealtime/VeganFettuccineAlfredo

I wish this was a better option. I did something similar for and the calories were through the roof. Nuts have more calories than heavy cream and are only slightly less calorific than butter.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I make a slightly modified version of this recipe: https://therecipecritic.com/2015/03/one-pot-cajun-chicken-alfredo-pasta/ I don't use chicken or oil and I add peas.