Can My Carbs go over?

Options
brt1895
brt1895 Posts: 1 Member
So, I am pregnant but also trying to lose weight since I weigh 238lbs and have really bad cholesterol totaled at 294.
My carbs seem to keep going over. But I am eating foods that are healthy. Like the morning star protein veggie burgers and chicken patties. Veggies and Fruits. I don't eat dairy unless it's a slice of mozzorella cheese on my turkey sandwich and I also only eat whole wheat breads and pastas when I have them.

Is it ok to go over my carbs? My total is maxed out but I haven't had dinner yet. Just wanting to know it won't be a bad thing as long as it's with healthy foods not crappy foods like mcdonalds or burgerking.

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I have never watched carbs and I'm losing. Hope that makes you feel a bit better. Tonight I'm having a sweet potato and corn with my salmon.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I tend to go over in my carbs too! I loove eating fruit, I know alot of sugar too, but I figure its healthier than cookies and cakes right. I started my clean eating a few weeks ago,but atill have this montgs groceries that im working with,next minth I will buy stuff to fit into my calories and try not to eat so much fruit. Though I hear contradictory advice on that too. They say eat the fruit.Anyway, I think if you're eating healthy for the most part,going over your carbs a bit here and there,should not be too much of a game changer.Unless you start to notice the scale isn't budging, I guess.
  • spacebear47
    spacebear47 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would ask your doctor about cutting calories while growing a kid. I am unsure about the science of converting fat/muscle from your body into energy for your kid. The doc or a midwife would have more insight. As far as carbs elevating cholesterol, there is some anecdotal evidence to that. But it could also be from stress, diabetes, adrenal fatigue or obesity. Pregnancy is hard enough! Id definitely seek help from an obstetrician with a nutrit
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor given you the o.k. to lose weight? :grey_question::grey_question::grey_question:
    Carbs do not matter one way or another.
    Eat enough fat and protein.
  • briigreen27
    briigreen27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should focus on eating the amount of calories your body needs - go to a macro counter and go off of that as to what your body needs and just continue eating healthy. Being pregnant your body needs 500 extra calories a day as well as during breast feeding. It's great that your eating healthy and totally fine if you go over your carbs. As carbs are energy and your body needs it for growing baby. I just had baby and did lots of research on this during the pregnancy.
    Don't focus on losing weight, your body will get rid of the stuff it doesn't need over time. Focus on eating healthy and nurturing your body for your little bundle.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm a dude and no nothing about being pregnant.

I'd think that you'd just have to eat what you want since you'll be gaining weight anyway.
    For example, it seems like it would be extremely difficult to know what your maintenance is, since you'd be eating for 2.

Talk to your doctor about that
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    rmgnow wrote: »
    I'm a dude and know nothing about being pregnant.

I'd think that you'd just have to eat what you want since you'll be gaining weight anyway.
    For example, it seems like it would be extremely difficult to know what your maintenance is, since you'd be eating for 2.

• DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Pregnant women need an additional 300 calories a day. That is it. You don't eat what you want unless you want to lose even more weight when the baby will only be about 7 pounds!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Pregnant women need an additional 300 calories a day. That is it. You don't eat what you want unless you want to lose even more weight when the baby will only be about 7 pounds!

what? if you eat what you want that doesnt mean weight loss and you cant say what her baby will or will not weigh. it could be more or less than 7 lbs depending on many factors.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you need to talk about this with your OB/GYN - need to make sure that you are fueling your body so that you can grow a healthy baby while not putting on too much weight.

how much are you currently eating a day? what do you have your weight loss set to? (IMHO, you should set it to maintenance, and then you would still be under your caloric need because of the extra 300cal your body needs daily)
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about carbs while being pregnant, everything you're eating has carbs (fruit, vegetables; ect). Subtract your fiber from your carbs and I bet you're at your carb goal for the day. Just focus on the quality and quantity of what you're eating, supply that little babes with quality nutrients you get from whole foods (fruits, veggies; ect). Careful on the processed stuff, not that it'll necessarily hurt your baby. I agree with deannalfisher about changing your settings to Maintenance and then going based on that. :)
  • mommabear8778
    mommabear8778 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with talking to your ob/gyn. But I do the low carb lifestyle and love it. My ob/gyn gave me the ok to do low carb. But being pregnant I would not do drastic changes. But 50 carbs or less is low carb. But always ask a medical professional to see if you are healthy to be on any eating plan, especially pregnant.