Weight loss plateau

Options
Hi I need some advice. I have had no movement on the scale for 3 weeks now and am starting to get worried I have lost 32lbs already and I still have another 14 or so to go. Should I eat less calories as only eating 1200 at the moment which is way below my tdee of 2100. I'm confused as I read I should up my calories too 500 less that my tdee as eating too few (1200) will hinder weight loss. I should also say I'm doing 16/8 fasting to help curb my binging and I'm male and 5 foot 9 and 189lbs. Started at 221lbs many thanks. Really wanna see the scale move next week. P.s get compliments on how I look slimmer. Currently just doing cardio no weight lifting. Any other questions you may have to help give me a better answer please just ask.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing what you eat and logging everything you consume? Are you using correct entries (no generic or homemade)?
  • Hermie123451982
    Hermie123451982 Posts: 190 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yes I weigh and I scan what I eat from the barcodes on the packs of rice etc and use the closest I can find to the meat I get from the butchers.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The scanner can be wrong and unless you are weighing your food you can still eating more calories than you think. If you aren't losing you are eating at maintenance.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Firstly how quickly did you lose that 32 pounds ie when did you start MFP. Secondly 1200 is WAAAAYY to low for a 5'9" 189 pound male you need 1500 minimum to get the basic nutrients your body needs you will be wasting alot of muscle restricting this severely.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Would you be willing to open your diary? As a grown man, if you were really eating 1200 calories you would be hungry and dropping weight and feeling awful. I'm a 5'4, 130 lb woman and I can't function on only 1200 calories, it's not enough food or nutrition for me.
  • jklwq123
    jklwq123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I need some advice. I have had no movement on the scale for 3 weeks now and am starting to get worried I have lost 32lbs already and I still have another 14 or so to go. Should I eat less calories as only eating 1200 at the moment which is way below my tdee of 2100. I'm confused as I read I should up my calories too 500 less that my tdee as eating too few (1200) will hinder weight loss. I should also say I'm doing 16/8 fasting to help curb my binging and I'm male and 5 foot 9 and 189lbs. Started at 221lbs many thanks. Really wanna see the scale move next week. P.s get compliments on how I look slimmer. Currently just doing cardio no weight lifting. Any other questions you may have to help give me a better answer please just ask.

• jklwq123
    jklwq123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To be fair I think your caloric intake is extremely low for you! I think you bit the plateau because you don't eat enough calories. Believe it or not eating the absolute right amount of calories helps you lose weight and will keep your energy up. With only 1,200 you may become weak and a little starved
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I thought MFP sets the minimum daily intake for men at 1500.