Any Vegans? Protein question...

Options
VitaLeta
VitaLeta Posts: 19 Member
Hi.. I'm fairly new to MFP and I'm looking for suggestions to get more protein into my (mostly) vegan diet. I try to stick to a vegan diet as much as I can and it has dropped my cholesterol level by about 200 points (yes, that means it was crazy high before!).

When I started tracking everything in MFP I noticed that I'm far from reaching what I should be getting in protein. I did some reading and I experience quite a few of the side effects of being low in protein. So, I need to fix that.

Any body have any recipes or ideas on ways to get more protein into my diet?

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but I eat a few vegan meals a week. BEANS, BEANS, and more BEANS. Beans are a great source of protein, as is tofu. I'm almost always over on my protein for the day. Quinoa is also high in protein, as I understand.
    I have cooked up a pot of dried beans in my crockpot and then used them all week- to buik up meals, with a vinagrette, as a side dish, etc.
  • SarahFrankel
    SarahFrankel Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I make sure to include beans, tofu, peanut butter, etc. into most of my meals or snacks and if I make smoothies, I add vegan protein powder to them since I usually use almond milk which is low in protein. Most veggie burgers are high in protein if you are into processed faux meat products (just be careful of too many ingredients). Veggies like spinach have a good amount of protein if you eat enough of it.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Beans, Lentils, quinoa, tofu are my staples!
  • Hedone
    Hedone Posts: 92
    Options
    Quinoa is very good protein, and it is very tasty too.
  • VitaLeta
    Options
    What protein powder do you use?

I don't each much of the fake meat. I usually make my own burgers and such. The processed stuff is typically almost as high in fat and such as it would be if I just went ahead and ate meat.
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    Chic Pea's Are yummy and filled with lots of protein, Drink protein shakes daily...
  • VitaLeta
    Options
    I haven't really experimented much with smoothies, though I probably should. Breakfast is one meal that I'm really lacking protein.
  • periodistalibre
    Options
    Whole grains and kale are also high in protein. For breakfast, I add flax seeds and soy yogurt to bulgar and top it with some fresh fruit for a mega-healthy, lo-cal, proteiny breakfast!
  • Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem hitting my protein allowance. I'm vegan but I have fish occassionally...but its usually beans , beans and more beans. Its good to see the other suggestions.
    What have you read to be the side effects of low protein...curious. Thnx
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    nuts (esp soy nuts), beans, tofu, soy milk.
    Are any Kashi cereals vegan?
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If youa re far from reaching your protein goal and actually using the default set by MFP you are really under!
    They set it WAY too low... I changed mine to 45% protein, 25% carbs, 30%fat so most days I'm easily 100-150g protein.

Greek Yogurt (not sure if this is vegan... i'm not)
    Quinoa
    Protein Shakes! (I do at least 1 or 2 a day)
    Tofu, Tempe
    Beans
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    Oh yeah oatmeal + pb has a little protein!
  • VitaLeta
    Options
    I have the same problem hitting my protein allowance. I'm vegan but I have fish occassionally...but its usually beans , beans and more beans. Its good to see the other suggestions.
    What have you read to be the side effects of low protein...curious. Thnx

I also have fish occasionally. Yeah, beans and rice is only getting me so far. Just looking for ways to switch it up!

As for the side effects, this is what I found:
    - Feeling constantly lightheaded, unmotivated, and overtired
    - Constant sugar and carbohydrate cravings
    - Hair Loss
    - Growth retardation in babies and toddlers
    - Increased susceptibility to infection
    - Weight loss
    - Muscle wasting
    - Weakness and fatigue
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You might get some more useful suggestions if you open your food diary up. I've sent you a friend request so you can nose through my diary for ideas :) My breakfast is usually muesli with nuts & soya milk - it's carby but they're all from whole grains so it easily tides me over 'til lunch and even a small portion contains a decent amount of protein.
  • periodistalibre
    Options
    I don't think people need as much protein as common knowledge dictates. If you eat a balanced diet of whole foods, you could easily live without soy products and the like. Protein turns into fat in your body if you don't use it.