• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    neeneileen wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    clags301 wrote: »
    Burn more calories than you eat = calorie deficit = weight loss

Burn fewer calories than you eat = cslorie surplus = weight gain.

What specifically don't you understand.

So to lose weight, let me see if I get this, is to burn more calories by exercising and performing physical activities like walking, dancing, etc, and to eat the amount of food from the deficit you created? Is that right? If I'm wrong let me know okay.

For one thing, you need to understand that this calculator will do all of the work for you...you put in your stats and whatnot and the calculator will calculate a calorie target (GOAL) for weight loss as per what it's estimation of your maintenance calories are...if you put in that you want to lose 1 Lb per week, the calculator will cut off 500 calories from you estimated maintenance.

Secondly, you burn calories 24/7. Most of your burn is you merely existing...then your day to day stuff...and finally exercise which typically is relatively insignificant compared to your existence and going about your day to day.

My maintenance calories without any exercise is 2,400 calories....of those 2400 calories, around 1800 are required to merely exist, the rest are just what I burn going about my day to day. If I wanted to lose about 1 Lb per week I'd eat around 1900 calories (500 calorie deficit from maintenance).

With exercise, I maintain on around 2800 calories...so I could eat 2300 calories and lose about 1 Lb per week.

Yeah that's what I was trying to understand. My BMR is around 2440 and I'm trying to lose 2 pounds a week so I create a 1000 calorie deficit. So right now my calorie goal from the deficit is 1440.

You should calculate your goal from your TDEE (your total daily energy expenditure which is your BMR plus the calories you burn through your other activities), not your BMR. Your BMR doesn't factor in the calories you burn through work and daily activities or what you burn through intentional exercise. Instead of calculating this, some people find it easier to use MFP's goals, which give you the same number (you have your base calories based on your BMR and your daily activities and then you log your intentional exercise and eat back the calories burned through that).
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You don't use BMR to determine your deficit. You use total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) to determine your deficit, which is what cwolfman13 was saying in his post when he said you burn merely existing, doing day to day stuff and exercising. That's TDEE.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yeah that's what I was trying to understand. My BMR is around 2440 and I'm trying to lose 2 pounds a week so I create a 1000 calorie deficit. So right now my calorie goal from the deficit is 1440.

Do you mean BMR (basal metabolic rate) or TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)? BMR is what you would burn if you were in a coma; TDEE is the sum of BMR, non-exercise activity, and exercise.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    clags301 wrote: »
    Burn more calories than you eat = calorie deficit = weight loss

Burn fewer calories than you eat = cslorie surplus = weight gain.

What specifically don't you understand.

So to lose weight, let me see if I get this, is to burn more calories by exercising and performing physical activities like walking, dancing, etc, and to eat the amount of food from the deficit you created? Is that right? If I'm wrong let me know okay.

For one thing, you need to understand that this calculator will do all of the work for you...you put in your stats and whatnot and the calculator will calculate a calorie target (GOAL) for weight loss as per what it's estimation of your maintenance calories are...if you put in that you want to lose 1 Lb per week, the calculator will cut off 500 calories from you estimated maintenance.

Secondly, you burn calories 24/7. Most of your burn is you merely existing...then your day to day stuff...and finally exercise which typically is relatively insignificant compared to your existence and going about your day to day.

My maintenance calories without any exercise is 2,400 calories....of those 2400 calories, around 1800 are required to merely exist, the rest are just what I burn going about my day to day. If I wanted to lose about 1 Lb per week I'd eat around 1900 calories (500 calorie deficit from maintenance).

With exercise, I maintain on around 2800 calories...so I could eat 2300 calories and lose about 1 Lb per week.

You should eat above your BMR but below your TDEE - take the deficit from TDEE.
  • neeneileen
    neeneileen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »

Do you mean BMR (basal metabolic rate) or TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)? BMR is what you would burn if you were in a coma; TDEE is the sum of BMR, non-exercise activity, and exercise.

Yeah I meant TDEE sorry about that lol
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yeah, if your TDEE is 2,440, then 1,440 would be your 1,000 calorie deficit.
  • neeneileen
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    You don't use BMR to determine your deficit. You use total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) to determine your deficit, which is what cwolfman13 was saying in his post when he said you burn merely existing, doing day to day stuff and exercising. That's TDEE.

Yeah that's what I meant is TDEE I got it mixed up sorry about that.
  • neeneileen
    Options

Yes sorry for the misunderstanding I got it mixed up
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yes sorry for the misunderstanding I got it mixed up

No worries, most of us had to learn some new terms when we began calorie counting!
  • neeneileen
    Options
    Thank you guys for helping me understand what a caloric deficit is. I really appreciate it.
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Dont worry i have realised ive posted a few forums about things that don't make any sense....
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Ok, riding on the coat tails of the OP, you guys have given so many helpful tips- just wondering if this sounds right for my numbers. I did set my goals in MFP and suggested 1200 cals for loss (2# per week, have a total of about 25# more to lose).

When I did a TDEE Calculator it says maintenance cals are 1872.00 I have been eating right around 1200 ( so 500 cal +/- give or take). Yesterday for example, per my Fitbit, noted I burned close to 700 cals throughout the day.

I ended my night at 1325 , so 125 cals "over". But, my long winded question is this, bc I burned the 700 cals according to fibit, is my 1325 final cal still technically a deficit.

I typically do not eat my calories back, so I was just concerned about losing my deficit yesterday?

Thanks guys!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Ok, riding on the coat tails of the OP, you guys have given so many helpful tips- just wondering if this sounds right for my numbers. I did set my goals in MFP and suggested 1200 cals for loss (2# per week, have a total of about 25# more to lose).

When I did a TDEE Calculator it says maintenance cals are 1872.00 I have been eating right around 1200 ( so 500 cal +/- give or take). Yesterday for example, per my Fitbit, noted I burned close to 700 cals throughout the day.

I ended my night at 1325 , so 125 cals "over". But, my long winded question is this, bc I burned the 700 cals according to fibit, is my 1325 final cal still technically a deficit.

I typically do not eat my calories back, so I was just concerned about losing my deficit yesterday?

Thanks guys!

When you set up your TDEE, how active did you say you were on a regular basis? TDEE includes calories for activity you tell it that you do, whether it be exercise or a job that has you on your feet all day, etc.

Based on what you built into your TDEE, was yesterday more active, less active, or just about in line? Assuming that yesterday wasn't unusual for you in terms of activity and that it matches what you built into your TDEE, then those 700 calories were already included when calculating the total you should be eating to achieve your target deficit. Just keep doing what you're doing.

If you find that you're regularly more or less active than you assigned in your TDEE calc (for example, you said you were lightly active but have been finding yourself spending an hour at the gym 5 times a week), then you probably want to recalculate your TDEE to make sure that you're getting 'credits' for the calories you're burning through exercise.

The above is why I actually prefer calculating my calorie levels at a totally sedate lifestyle (no exercise, desk job), and then add in my exercise manually. It keeps me from having to worry about what the invisible algorithms in the system have assumed for my daily activities, etc. and since I know what I've included for activity, it's easy for me to know when I might have to adjust my numbers.
  • RhiannonBecks
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @DX2JX2 thank you so much for the response.

So I set my lifestyle to SEDENTARY as I work at a desk 9 hours.

Yesterday was a bit more active than normal, but not to the extreme. I try to get in a walk w/my dogs about 5 days a week, totaling around 2 miles, yesterday I added a walk in during lunch bc it was so nice outside, and again on break, but both combined only added aprox 1.5 miles to my "exercise".

" Based on what you built into your TDEE, was yesterday more active, less active, or just about in line? Assuming that yesterday wasn't unusual for you in terms of activity and that it matches what you built into your TDEE, then those 700 calories were already included when calculating the total you should be eating to achieve your target deficit. Just keep doing what you're doing."

>> So with that said, being that my cals are set to 1200 (which includes my deficit, yeah), and I finished my day with 1325 cals, I really only had a deficit of 500-125? ).

Maybe I am just over thinking it. I know the concept is not hard, and I know the goal is long term, i just don't want to feel guilty for the extra 125 cals, if that will make or break a loss at the end of the week you know?

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    @DX2JX2 thank you so much for the response.

So I set my lifestyle to SEDENTARY as I work at a desk 9 hours.

Yesterday was a bit more active than normal, but not to the extreme. I try to get in a walk w/my dogs about 5 days a week, totaling around 2 miles, yesterday I added a walk in during lunch bc it was so nice outside, and again on break, but both combined only added aprox 1.5 miles to my "exercise".

" Based on what you built into your TDEE, was yesterday more active, less active, or just about in line? Assuming that yesterday wasn't unusual for you in terms of activity and that it matches what you built into your TDEE, then those 700 calories were already included when calculating the total you should be eating to achieve your target deficit. Just keep doing what you're doing." >> So with that said, being that my cals are set to 1200 (which includes my deficit, yeah), and I finished my day with 1325 cals, I really only had a deficit of 500-125? ).

Maybe I am just over thinking it. I know the concept is not hard, and I know the goal is long term, i just don't want to feel guilty for the extra 125 cals, if that will make or break a loss at the end of the week you know?

Other way around, if you set your lifestyle to 'sedentary', then your calorie target doesn't include much in the way of exercise or incremental calorie burns. It basically assumes that you're only burning the calories you need to live your day to day life and spend a good part of the day at a desk or on a couch. If you exercise or are active above this level, then you actually get 'extra' calories on top of your goal.

That is, if your TDEE assumes that you burn ~2000 calories with a sedate lifestyle, then once you start adding activity you would actually burn more than that. You can theoretically eat more and still maintain your target deficit, or you can not eat more and achieve a higher deficit than you originally planned for.

If you called yourself sedentary in the TDEE calculation and you were a bit more active than usual yesterday then technically at least some of those 700 calories could have been added to your daily calorie target. That said, TDEE works on averages. Don't worry too much about your activity level on any specific day - it's the long-term changes in your activity levels that you need to think about.
  • RhiannonBecks
    Options
    @dxj257 -- Excellent. Totally clears it up for me. I really appreciate your thoughtful, kind response. It makes so much more sense for whatever reason the way you just explained it!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend to the OP and anyone else working out how to best use this tool to read the stickied "Most Helpful Forum Posts" at the top of the Getting Started section. There are answers to many of the questions you've asked and some you haven't thought of yet in there.