Popcorn is evil!

Options
javamel
javamel Posts: 3 Member
Dammit. I read the label wrong on my bag of homestyle popcorn and I had to adjust my calories by A LOT, so now I ate 1900 calories today. :(. Oh well, this is a learning experience right? No wonder I have been stalled...been eating that damn popcorn!!

(It was yummy though)

Replies

• javamel
    javamel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    At least I tracked it I guess. Before, I think I would've buried my head in the sand and added a chocolate bar on top of it.
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hey at least you finally realized it :) on a side note I love the Smartfood Movie Theatre Popcorn.. good lord it's delicious!!
  • Damien_Scott
    Damien_Scott Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. even after calorie counting for two years, I still can't properly freaking count the calories n a bag of microwave popcorn. Popcorn is a decent snack if you find the right kinds.

We prefer the lower calorie sea salt/salt&pepper/white cheddar pre popped bags. they are usually 130-150 calories for 2 1/2 - 4 cups. That's pretty good for an "unhealthy" snack and a lot easier to count.

Don't get discouraged. the beauty of setting your goal for a deficit is that when you mess up you usually just hit "maintaining" for a couple days. it all works out with consistency.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I bought a brand new air popper at the thrift store for $5. Now I pop my own corn, add a tiny little bit of butter and salt. At about 35 calories per cup, I can have a pretty big bowl and still meet my calorie goal for the day.

I like using the spray butter for cooking.It coats more evenly, you aren't using as much, and it doesn't make the kerneks soggy or melted.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I bought a brand new air popper at the thrift store for $5. Now I pop my own corn, add a tiny little bit of butter and salt. At about 35 calories per cup, I can have a pretty big bowl and still meet my calorie goal for the day.

This. I use an air popper too. Another trick if I don't feel like getting the popper out, is to take kernels, cover the bottom of a regular brown paper "lunch sack" and microwave for two minutes. Listen for 2 second or so break during pops. Popcorn gets fluffy and light tasting, and low, low, cal compared to commercial microwave popcorn.
  • millea84
    millea84 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Oh crap. I just ate a bag of kettle corn the other night. I should probably check the calorie content. That stuff is addictive.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    When it comes to popcorn I buy the 100 calorie bags. That way I know 1 bag = 100 calories. So much easier to track.
  • iamunicoon
    iamunicoon Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I love the coconut-vanilla one from Proper Corn. Roughly 100 cals per bag and soooo good.
  • astrdomitter
    astrdomitter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My husband and i make old fashioned on the stove with butter and add milk duds on our cheat night. Yum!
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I should be measuring everything, but i'm lazy and trust the 100c bags of kettle corn. I should probably get an air popper since I do find the kettle corn a bit too sweet.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I love Skinny Pop. Usually save a few calories and have it as a late night snack.
  • queensamearh
    queensamearh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I eat popcorn every day for my lunch. Popcorn is low calories than any kinds of chips. So I eat popcorn