Tired allllll the time!

Im not sure of anyone experiencing this but im tired all the time! Like constantly. Im always thinking about when am i going back to bed next and when can i take a nap. My diet is healthy i go to the gym i even participate in 5k runs from time to time but im always tired. And its really starting to get to me. My motivation is taking a hit and my weight is creaping back up. Ive been yoyoing for years now and from one week to another i can loose 2kg n gain 2kg so it never seems to stay on an even keel no matter what i do. Do people have the same issue and how can i stop the constant tiredness without the caffeine! Ideas

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Much older than you, but yes indeed. There are many reasons for this that you should explore.

Check your sleep. Make sure you don't take caffeine late in the day. Don't work out late in the evening. Don't watch tv or stare at your phone on high brightness just before turning out the light. Be consistent about bedtime.

Check your macros. Don't overeat protein-- it's a bad source of fuel. You can play with the fat/carb ratio and see what works for you. Cutting carbs (particularly simple sugars) can help even out your energy, but replace them with high quality fats (olive oil, butter, nuts, cheese). High carb-- particularly sugars-- can give you a sleepy rebound. So basically, minimize sugar, eat complex carbs, keep them low, except perhaps on exercise days.

Check that you do not have sleep apnea. I would think it's unusual for younger people to have this, but it essentially means you don't get enough air when asleep due to the physiology of your upper airway. There are many treatments. A partner or roommate can tell you if you snore or sound like you are having trouble breathing when asleep. Dry mouth is a sign. If you get a fitbit or equivalent, you can study your sleep patterns (although it's normal to move quite a lot at night).

Also, it's possible you have a rarer medical problem, such as chronic fatigue syndrome or similar. Bring it up with your doctor.

Best of luck!
  • nkolpean
    nkolpean Posts: 94 Member
    Maybe get your iron levels checked. Could be that you are low in iron and need to take a supplement.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Check your thyroid at a gp. You could be underactive.

Do you feel like your constantly in zombie land lol
    Definitely worth a trip to the gp to rule out a medical condition. Then if all is clear figure out if it's something in your diet
  • carterbrent
    carterbrent Posts: 91 Member
    Depression can make you feel very tired out. I would rule out all of the above suggestions first however.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Go to a doctor for a workup. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will have experienced this, but the internet is not the best place for a diagnosis. Hope you find out the cause of your fatigue!
  • sassysisterjd
    sassysisterjd Posts: 41 Member
    Agree with everyone saying go to the doctor just to make sure everything is ok. Thyroid, depression, nutrient deficiency or any number of other things could any one be the culprit. I had very low iron several years ago and once the doctor identified that it was a really simple fix, but I felt like a new person.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,519 Member
    How much do you sleep at night?
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Low iron was my biggest culprit in my 30s. I had heavy periods. I was not anemic but my ferritin (iron stores) were almost non-existant. I felt SO much better when I treated. And now that I am past all that, I have tons more energy.
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Looks like the above said it all. Great points. I was going to say walk a bit-leisurely and not like you are going somewhere. Watch for depression and how the weather affects you-I stay out of the heat and just turn my back on all the things I need to do about husband's estate. Yep, I take thyroid stuff and Vitamin D and even Vitamin Bs. I am making me get up rather than lingering in bed. AND I take my son to the pool almost daily where I just sort of paddle back and forth. I never want to go but I always come out thinking I feel lots better.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    You might be depressed.
  • slimmers2470
    slimmers2470 Posts: 1 Member
    Im not sure of anyone experiencing this but im tired all the time! Like constantly. Im always thinking about when am i going back to bed next and when can i take a nap. My diet is healthy i go to the gym i even participate in 5k runs from time to time but im always tired. And its really starting to get to me. My motivation is taking a hit and my weight is creaping back up. Ive been yoyoing for years now and from one week to another i can loose 2kg n gain 2kg so it never seems to stay on an even keel no matter what i do. Do people have the same issue and how can i stop the constant tiredness without the caffeine! Ideas

Look up Adrenal body type! Maybe that will help im dealing with the same issue
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Get your thyroid checked. I was just talking to a relative about this.
  • fjmartini
    You might have adrenal fatigue.
  • fjmartini
    I can't do anything without a TON of caffeine
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Get your thyroid checked. Not just TSH, but a full panel. Also get checked for anemia and any deficiencies such as vitamin D. It sounds to me like it could be something for your doctor to address.
  • corkysMrs88
    corkysMrs88 Posts: 3 Member
    Ok so been to my GP & had my thyroid tested all is ok. Been using a sleep app at night recently to try and track my sleep patterns via my smart watch as it was suggested by my GP to start a log. Been using recommended sleep pattern times from the app and it seems to be working. I dont need as much sleep as i thought i did. Everyones fixated on 8hrs sleep a night but according to my watch app my wake up time should be at 6hrs. Tried it last night and my god this morning i woke up like a rocket! Amazingly. I felt more energetic throughout the day and less fatigued during the course of the day. Dont get me wrong by about dinner time i was itching for a coffee again but i resisted and went out on my run and managed to re energise myself. So im going to keep going with this 6hr sleep pattern and see how it goes for a few weeks.

Will feedback what i find!

Thanks for all your suggestions i was trying my hardest to figure out what could be causing my fatigue problems by cutting out caffeine as well as any stimulating drinks or foods that could be causing a peak and trough kinds of imbalance. No luck but the sleep thing seems to be working so far. Fingers crossed ive found out what was up and i was actually sleeping too much haha sounds bonkers but it may be right!
  • Cheryoze
    Cheryoze Posts: 11 Member
    corkysMrs88 can you give an update? I have experienced some of the same issues with no real explanation. Thyroid panels all good, needing lots of caffeine and/or naps midday. Has your plan worked months later
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Cheryoze wrote: »
    corkysMrs88 can you give an update? I have experienced some of the same issues with no real explanation. Thyroid panels all good, needing lots of caffeine and/or naps midday. Has your plan worked months later

Might you have depression. It doesn't show up on blood tests and contrary to its name you don't need to feel depressed. You could be angry.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited November 2017
    Could be sleep apnea. No sleep app can detect that.
    You might not be eating enough
  • ms_maruska
    ms_maruska Posts: 119 Member
    Ok so been to my GP & had my thyroid tested all is ok. Been using a sleep app at night recently to try and track my sleep patterns via my smart watch as it was suggested by my GP to start a log. Been using recommended sleep pattern times from the app and it seems to be working. I dont need as much sleep as i thought i did. Everyones fixated on 8hrs sleep a night but according to my watch app my wake up time should be at 6hrs. Tried it last night and my god this morning i woke up like a rocket! Amazingly. I felt more energetic throughout the day and less fatigued during the course of the day. Dont get me wrong by about dinner time i was itching for a coffee again but i resisted and went out on my run and managed to re energise myself. So im going to keep going with this 6hr sleep pattern and see how it goes for a few weeks.

Will feedback what i find!

Thanks for all your suggestions i was trying my hardest to figure out what could be causing my fatigue problems by cutting out caffeine as well as any stimulating drinks or foods that could be causing a peak and trough kinds of imbalance. No luck but the sleep thing seems to be working so far. Fingers crossed ive found out what was up and i was actually sleeping too much haha sounds bonkers but it may be right!

I'm exactly the same! If I wake up after 7:30 in the morning, I'm tired all day. Never understood why exactly so I've wrote it down as - I'm a morning person.

I see others have mentioned possible thyroid problems, I'd like to mentioned that vitamin B complex might help you further with your problem. You can get tested (especially for B12 levels) or just get a bottle of some medium level vitamin B supplement and see how you feel. One bottle has helped me enormously with regards to energy levels.