I'm underweight and trying to gain! Tips?

I'm new to this app and I'm trying to gain weight. I'm a 5'3" 22-year-old female and I've always been very small. I think the most I've ever weighed was 97 pounds, but I'm currently 89 pounds. I don't try to be small, I just think I get full quick and tend to eat less than most people. Anyway, I want to gain 15-20 pounds because I have a hunch I may be unhealthy (although doctors have not talked about my weight in the past) and I plan to have kids in the next couple years, but fear my weight might make it hard to conceive and have a healthy baby. What's the best way to gain? Types of foods? How/what can I eat when I don't have much of an appetite?

Replies

• breelarallen
    breelarallen Posts: 4 Member
    I really like eating calorie dense fruit and nut bars because they aren't very filling and are small for the calorie amount. Clif builder bars are good as well as bars like raw rev glo bars (super yummy too), larabars, kind bars, probars, etc.

Probars aren't very filling at all and can pack easy 300-400 calories. Pair with a banana or piece of fruit and you have a tiny 500 calorie snack. Try supplement drinks and smoothies. It is so easy to make 500-600 weight gain smoothies or have a small ensure/orgain/boost drink a few times a day to get in extra calories.

Gaining weight is a pain sometimes but you just have to be consistent and count your calories to make sure you get enough every day. If you eat more calories than you burn every day you WILL gain weight.

I am very surprised you still have you period being so underweight. Have you always had a regular period without using birth control?

Thanks for the advice! I have been buying granola bars lately and smoothies sound good so I might try that. I haven't ever counted calories until now and I'm starting to see how little I actually eat...

I've always gotten my period, but it's not always the most predictable. Anywhere between 25-32 day cycles, although usually landing in the 25-28 day range. I think that's still considered regular, but last month I had 22 days which was highly unusual and apparently women can have periods without actually ovulating, meaning for all I know I might not ovulate every month despite getting my period every month. I don't know, but I'll probably talk to a doctor about that soon and get their intake.
  • ghbtwo
    ghbtwo Posts: 11 Member
    definitely what has been said above, track your calories, consume on a pace that has you gaining weight. if you do any kind of training make sure to track that as well to ensure you're still on pace to add above maintenance. good luck!
  • AshW417
    AshW417 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in the same boat as you but weigh a little bit less...caused by medical problems. I'm 31 and 5'3"... I'm hoping with this app I can use the tracker to at least let myself know hey, eat more you need more calories etc.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Boost and Ensure can really help. Gulp one at night before bed
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Lots of good ideas here. I suggest carrying a snack with you wherever you go (energy bar, hiker's mix, nuts) and try a glass of full fat milk with your meals.

I suggest you get on a pregnancy vitamin now to top up your Folic Acid levels. This will prevent a certain kind of birth defect.
  • crimsonqueen90
    crimsonqueen90 Posts: 1 Member
    Im 26 4ft 11in weigh 83. The most i have ever weigh was at 13 and i was 95 pounds for almost a year. I have a high metabolism no health issues other than not having a menstrual cycle in almost four years.....trying to gain weight but it seems for every pound i gain i loss 2 twice as much. Doctors say my fluctuations in weight is why i dont have my menstrual cycle. And im a married and would love the option to be able to conceive. I have tried eating multiple meals throughout the day and drinking ensures at bedtime along with a huge list of vitamins and such as suggested by various sources and tried weight shakes and counting calories. I feel like i have tried it all and im just annoyed that i have finally got to 83 pounds and its been a struggle and i have been able to maintain it but can no longer gain any additional weight. Any suggestions
  • BobbyTone
    BobbyTone Posts: 5 Member
    Eating is just like training. You have to train yourself to eat the correct foods, eat more calories and eat more often.

You shouldn't drastically change your diet overnight but gradually incorporate changes, e.g. replace water in shakes with milk, then eventually add peanut butter or coconut oil, etc. Add a small snack meal during the day then increase the size of the meal over time.

The body adapts to change, so once you stop gaining weight with your current diet, you have to increase the number of calories and meals again. Gradual changes work better than sudden ones in the long term.

Good luck.
  • laurenhills99
    laurenhills99 Posts: 20 Member
    Try and eat healthy yet high calorie snacks between meals such as peanut butter, nuts, dried fruit and dark chocolate. Also try and add calories to a meal using dressings or sauces. I'm trying to gain weight to and am
    Doing similar. Good luck
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Increase your fat. Slap a pat of butter on your vegetables, have a grilled cheese cooked in butter, have peanut butter for a snack, full fat dairy, etc.... If you truly cannot gain weight get checked for thyroid problems or intestinal problems and such. There should be no reason you can't gain weight by adding in some calorie dense foods unless you have a medical problem.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    All the above advice is spot on. Butter, nuts, full fat dairy are your friends. A Dairy Queen blizzard has about 1000 calories. You should be able to easily fit something like that in as a snack. Also, set a timer to remind yourself to eat if you usually go by hunger cues.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    Pizza always solves this problem. And not no "cauliflower" pizza.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png