5:2 fasting?

Options
Hi guys! I've been on my weight loss journey for the past 6 months and have lost 15 lbs and 8% body fat. I'm really happy about this, but my weight has been hovering around the 135lb mark (with little to no change in body fat, despite weight training) for the past month and a half, and I'm starting to get frustrated. I'm looking to shift these last 15 pounds, and a few more %s of body fat. I've looked at options like keto, but with my lifestyle and dietary needs, it's just not realistic for me. I tried 16:8 intermittent fasting for about a month, but didn't really notice tangible results. What I'm wondering is, how effective is 5:2 intermittent fasting (eating semi-normally for 5 days and eating 500 calories for 2 days)? I feel like this might fit my lifestyle better, but most examples of intermittent fasting I see online are of the 16:8 model, and pretty much everything I've seen/read about 5:2 is just kind of a summary of the original research. Has anyone on here done 5:2 fasting, and what were your findings? Thank you!

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying different fasting methods you should buy a food scale. It would most likely explain the lack of progress. 5:2 is just a different way to distribute calories and isn't magic, just like daily IF or keto. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5:2 for a few months and quite like it. In Michael Mosley's most recent book he increased the calories to 800 a day which is what I do. It was a struggle for the first few weeks but I'm used to it now and quite like fasting days because meal prep is minimal. I did find that fasting interfered with training so I incorporate a protein drink & BCAAs as well. Apart from the supposed health benefits, I don't feel deprived because if there's something I really want I know I can have it the next day.
  • DiannaJS
    DiannaJS Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I initially did the 5:2 for two years and lost all my weight but about 3 kilos has come back on with bad habits coming back. I'm finding it really hard to get back into it again. Kimothy you said in Michaels recent book he has increased the calories to 800? Which book was it?