All things WRAPS. :)

Options
TheParnelloFello
TheParnelloFello Posts: 4 Member
Hey there guys and gals!

Having just started this journey, I've found that a major downfall of my eating habits is bread and buns. [DUN DUN DUNNNNNN]

So, in an attempt to remedy this, I am looking into eating wraps as a main staple of my diet.

I would love if anyone here could share wrap recipes, ideas, or any advice in general relating to wraps.

I picked up some rather healthy Tortillas, and have no idea what to put in them. :)

Replies

• jbum63
    jbum63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to make salads for example chicken ceaser or an Asian salad with chicken or shrimp and put that in the wrap. Really any salad would work. They fill the wrap and taste great.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I used to rely heavily on bread, grains etc for the base of my meals. Now I rarely eat those things as I prefer to base my meals around protein and vegies. I find it more satisfying as I get more volume - mountains!, and like to spend my calories on more food as opposed to small servings of grain based foods.

There are so many delicious ways to prepare vegies, I don't miss the bread and grains.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I go through phases where that's all I want for lunch. Usually it's a Fit & Active flatbread spread with a wedge of Laughing Cow, about 3 oz of deli meat, boatloads of lettuce and a pickle.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Roast veggies (peppers, mushrooms, courgette/zucchini, aubergine/eggplant), roll up in your wrap (with some feta if you're into that) and away you go. YUM!
  • lexidanko14
    lexidanko14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The key is to get creative and mix and match things! I hope this helps :)

Of course you can do turkey, chicken, tuna with a sauce of choice and lots of greens and veggies. Mix up the veggies and sauces so you don't get bored. I'm a mayo girl but dairy makes me feel sick and get acne so I use Just mayo which tastes the same and is healthier. I also reccomend using just mayo, just ranch or humus and putting raw veggies like bell pepper carrots and cucumbers! Super good although it doesn't sound it.

Try different nut butters along with fruits if you're feeling something sweet! Almond butter, bananas, apples, cinnamon, there's so many combos.

Also just take your fav salad and make it into a wrap!
  • TheParnelloFello
    TheParnelloFello Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas and input guys!

Today, for my first attempt at buying/eating healthier I had a wholemeal fat free wrap (a third of the calories of the bread I would have had). Inside I had a 4 leaf green salad, a thin spread of LIGHT sour cream, seafood highlight, diced cherry tomatoe, and chopped brown onion.

Was very satisfying.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Oh man. Wraps aren't that much lower in calories than bread and buns unless you specifically search for lower carb wraps. They've never been worth it to me. I just throw whatever I'd put on a sandwich onto a HUGE bed of greens instead. Save calories for a dessert after dinner :) When I first started weight loss I did find a little 100 calorie bun. I think it was made by Arnolds. Not worth it to me anymore.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Have you tried toasting your wraps in a pan? After filling them, I mean. I really like the crunchy texture you get.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    @CattOfTheGarage that is a great idea!
  • mvbrown
    mvbrown Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 2 wraps and a side of fruit. Wrap consists of Trader Joe's low carb whole wheat wraps (small in size), 1/2 to 1 tablespoon Trader Joe's spreadable light cream cheese per wrap, 1 rolled up slice of turkey per wrap, 1/8 avocado per wrap, with a dash of garlic powder on top of the cream cheese. Yum. I also eat 1/2 cup of blueberries, a peach, or an apple, etc. I make sure I weigh the fruit on my food scale to log exactly how much I'm eating. 2 wraps (with all toppings mentioned) and the side of fruit is around 300ish calories. I can make my lunch ahead of time (night before/morning of) and put them in plastic wrap. They seem to do well.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily any lower calorie than a comparable sandwich, but I love to make spicy italian wraps with some italian deli meats (salami, pepperoni, ham, etc.), romaine lettuce, jalapeno peppers (because I love them on almost anything), onions (likewise because I love them on everything), and a bit of italian dressing or other vinaigrette. You can always reduce the meat and dressing and increase the lettuce to get a wrap that still fills your tortilla with lower calories.
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big carb person, but I love sandwiches. As an alernative you can use a big leaf of lettuce. I had 2 big ham,turkey,bacon, cheese and hummus in a lettuce wrap a few days ago for under 400 calories.
  • oldsoul918
    oldsoul918 Posts: 110 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I like these and they come in a few different flavors. Seems like anything you like on bread or in a bun you could turn into a wrap. Tonight for dinner, I'm having a BBQ burger wrap with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, maybe some shredded cheese or a little crumbled bacon if I'm feeling crazy...
    http://olemex.com/index.php/2013-07-26-20-44-53/traditional-mexican/item/178-high-fiber-tortilla-wraps-8
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Ole makes a high fiber wrap that is soft and a decently large size for just 50 calories.
  • bonniegarbal
    bonniegarbal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can see switching to wraps if it's because you eat too many buns but you wouldn't necessarily eat too many wraps but definitely keep in mind they are not lower in calories and may actually be higher.
  • TeethOfTheHydra
    TeethOfTheHydra Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Wraps are the main two meals of my day. I like Flatout multigrain, low-cal low-carb, satisfies that sandwich itch. I use turkey/swiss/ranch/lettuce/tomato, ham/provolone/mustard/lettuce/tomato, pastrami/swiss/1000isle/sauerkraut, and chicken/cheddar/buffalo/bleu/onion/lettuce. Pretty basic but working well for me.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The rather healthy tortillas I use are Ole Xtreme Wellness tortillas which deliver Fiber, Omega-3 and only 50 calories. Since I only used them for breakfast I only wrapped them around scrambled eggs, sauteed onions, and the occasional leaf of kale along with some spices.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I've found Sandwich Thins are better than wraps. Usually about 90 calories. And you feel like you are eating a sandwich still.

Now, I do buy the Ole Xtreme Wellness Torillas, but typically use them for fajitas and tacos. Or maybe breakfast burritos.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    raw broccoli,cauliflower, onions, avocado,tomatoes,bell peppers,sprouts, hummus and a bit of ranch dressing is my favorite wrap.