new to the community!

Options
hi my name is ashley im 21 yrs old. my fiance and i are talking about getting married but when we got together 2 yrs ago i was 175 and now im 240. i told him back then i wana get married but i wana be his dream girl. now i am busting my butt in the gym on the treadmill with a friend 5 days a week for 65 min. can anyone help me i wana do more but dont know what, i walk 3.70 miles each day on the treadmill and eat way less then my recommended calorie intake,, deperatly in need of help!!!:sad:

Replies

• ajasiak
    ajasiak Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    hi my name is ashley im 21 yrs old. my fiance and i are talking about getting married but when we got together 2 yrs ago i was 175 and now im 240. i told him back then i wana get married but i wana be his dream girl. now i am busting my butt in the gym on the treadmill with a friend 5 days a week for 65 min. can anyone help me i wana do more but dont know what, i walk 3.70 miles each day on the treadmill and eat way less then my recommended calorie intake,, deperatly in need of help!!!:sad:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    First of all you have to eat ALL of your calories, even the exercise ones, you will starve you body and it will shut down and not get rid of anything, a survival trick our bodies learned from the caveman days when food was scarce. Also DRINK your water! BTW Welcome!:flowerforyou:
  • livinwell
    Options
    Make a decision and stick to it honey, you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    Get a Heart Rate Monitor, have a personal trainer set it for you at the gym and work within your fat burning zone. You may be walking 3.7 miles a day, but are you breaking a sweat? If you are chatting on the treadmill or reading a magazine you are WASTING your time! Make your workouts count, eat clean and you WILL lose weight. Good Luck!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options

the first thing that came to mind when i read your post is - whoa! slow down girl!

1. i understand how you seem to want to 'hurry up and get back in shape' or 'hurry up and loose weight'. but slow and steady is the way to do it for several reasons.

2. if you do not eat all of your calories, you will not loose weight. it sounds crazy, but you really do have to set a 1-2 pound a week goal and eat what you are supposed to. otherwise, your body will go into some sort of shut down or starvation mode and you will only hang onto the weight while killing yourself on the treadmill and giving you a reason to give up.

3. an idea for you to consider ~ choose a blank day on your food diary/log and enter in what you were eating on a typical day before you decided to get to the gym. i bet its more than 2000 calories a day. MFP will set your calorie goal low enough to give yourself a deficit but not starve yourself. if you think about a healthy day, hitting all your calories, compared to an 'old' day, you will see that what you are doing is actually very healthy and very filling! there really is NO REASON to purposly deny yourself the allotted daily calorie amount.

4. eat your excercise calories. i have read you dont have to eat all of them, but at least half. i eat all of them and enjoy every minute of it.

5. drink your water. it is the key in a lock that doesnt seem to want to open.

6. set mini goals with a long term 'big' goal. focus on the mini goals and be proud and happy when you loose 1-2 pounds a week. it means you are doing great!!! time flies man! before you know it, you will be reaching goals and more motivated than ever. :flowerforyou:

you say you want to do more - in my opinion, what i have written here IS more. i also believe when you stop and re-focus, you will see the results you are looking for.

one more thing: MFP is the most awesome site ever! last year i was on a soup, salad, and cereal diet for 6 weeks. in 6 weeks, i lost 3 pounds. ugh. since joining MFP 1/5/09, i have lost 7.2 pounds. big enough difference for me to see how hungry and completly worn out i was back then compared to now, feeling fit and full. its truly amazing! :heart: :heart: :heart: