Fell of the wagon... now to get real with exercise

Options
Gemair23
Gemair23 Posts: 3 Member
Hello
I've done MFP for a while now on and off, but I'm just getting back into food and exercise after a massive tear in my hip and one in the opposite knee, and I can't afford to go to the gym at the moment.
My food is mostly good, but I really need to get back into exercising again and finding the motivation - any help out there as to how to find your exercise mojo??
Are there any good groups I could join to get some help/ideas on best types of exercise.
Thanks
PS It's the middle of winter in Australia and I'm sitting in my office with a heater and a coat on brrrrr (motivation to get outside is really tough :D )

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Curious, how cold is it?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Curious, how cold is it?

This morning as I was driving to work at 7am it was 3 degrees (Celsius)..I think it's supposed to get to 16 today. Bright and sunny where I am though, which helps! I was further south over the weekend, and it got down to 1 or 2 degrees, it apparently with strong winds and storms factored in, it "felt" like -1.

OP, if it's fine weather, I like rugging myself up and getting outside. I like the freshness!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Curious, how cold is it?

This morning as I was driving to work at 7am it was 3 degrees (Celsius)..I think it's supposed to get to 16 today. Bright and sunny where I am though, which helps! I was further south over the weekend, and it got down to 1 or 2 degrees, it apparently with strong winds and storms factored in, it "felt" like -1.

OP, if it's fine weather, I like rugging myself up and getting outside. I like the freshness!

Damn, that's cold. But I like the cold too!
  • masterwilde
    masterwilde Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    dressed up in several layers, just start walking outside, but have a scarf covering your mouth and nose to protect you. You will be amazed at how fast it can move the weight and alot your body it you commit to it
  • Gemair23
    Gemair23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, it was 1.2deg Celcius at our house this morning and when I left work to head home it was still only 12 degrees. I find my motivation is much better in summer when it is warmer and it is so much lighter for longer.
    I will try rugging up a bit and getting outside, I got up this morning and did a short workout at home, still a little fresh but not too bad. Before too long it will be summer. I really think I need to set a goal of what to achieve with my fitness - my plan for the weekend I think :)
    Thanks
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've had a lot of exercise/ activity set backs because of a collagen disorder that has hampered my ability to exercise in the way I want to. I feel like I'm always in a race with my joints breaking down faster than I expected, and I'm always having to change what I'm doing in order to keep on exercising. It's highly frustrating because exercise is the only thing that really helps me to feel like normal.

I am a lifelong exerciser - but always been careful to vary my workouts and never overload my joints. But now I've just been diagnosed with a new hip thing and I'm not allowed to do any more land based cardio stuff like ellipticals and treadmills and stairmaster or rowing machine. Also no more lower body stuff like squats and lunges or anything fun like that. I've now returned to the pool and aqua jogging with a waterproof iPod shuffle so that I can stand the boredom. Three days a week I swim laps but my shoulder and neck problems won't allow me to do more than that.

I was barely able to move for three months after the onset of my hip thing. I've only been getting going in the last six weeks again, however the aqua jogging has been awesome to help me feel good about myself and lose a few pounds. Thank goodness I love water.

You can add me if you need a friend who understands how hard it is to keep going with chronic pain and one thing falling apart after another.