Nutrition advice needed

Options
Hello folks,

I started my bulking phase on 11th July and thus far I've gained 2.5kg/5.5lbs (mostly fat). I want to gain both muscles and fat but I'm not 100% confident on my daily nutrition intake so please help me out. Thanks in advance.

Profile:
Height: 5'8
Body type: Ectomorph
Current weight: 60.8kg/134lbs
Maintenance: around 2000 calories
Activity: Gym 3 days a week
Goal: 73kg/160.9lbs

Here's what my typical eating plan looks like:

Breakfast
2 soft white bread
2 large eggs
380ML coca cola
=496 calories

Lunch:
400g cooked pasta with tuna tomato sauce
=around 600 calories

Afternoon post shake:
164g serious mass gainer
=614 calories

Dinner (homemade shake):
100g scottish oats
100g peanut butter
370ml whole milk 3.25% fat
20g sugar
=1323 calories

Snacks:
30g dorito
50g vanilla ice cream
=254 calories

Water intake: 2000ml

Total: 3,287 calories (1000+ surplus)
           Carbs:   447g (55%)
           Fat:        106g (29%)
           Protein: 125g (16%)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have to do some resistance training if you want to build muscle. Go to the Exercise forum for more detailed advice :#

Food choices are personal, but you need more variety than what you've outlined - and where are the vegetables? Don't you like fruit? Are you sure Coca Cola is a good choice for an everyday breakfast? Is all that protein powder, peanut butter and white bread working for you? Don't you miss a real meal for dinner?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What workouts are you doing at the gym? :grey_question::grey_question:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    To bulk, it's more about what you're doing at the gym than what you're eating. What's your lifting program?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Whilst you can achieve your calorie goals eating whatever you like, your diet is pretty much void of sufficient micronutrients and you will suffer in the long term. Do your health a favour and eat some proper, decent, nutritious meals. Take the time to plan and prep even some basic meat/fish and vegie meals to include in your day.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Whilst you can achieve your calorie goals eating whatever you like, your diet is pretty much void of sufficient micronutrients and you will suffer in the long term. Do your health a favour and eat some proper, decent, nutritious meals. Take the time to plan and prep even some basic meat/fish and vegie meals to include in your day.

That's a good point - where are your veggies?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Your diet looks terrible - devoid of vegetables and quite low on fiber. I get the convenience and control-ability of shakes but if you are going to go down that route (and personally I don't recommend it) you need to be cramming vegetables into your other meals and maybe even in your shakes.

Calorific excess is one part of gaining muscle mass but the other is the exercise and so your work outs need to be geared up towards that goal.

I'm guessing that they aren't since you say that your mass gain to this point is "2.5kg/5.5lbs (mostly fat)". How you arrived at the assumption that your gains were mostly fat is a whole other topic but, unless being fatter is your goal, this is not a great situation to be in. Focus on muscle gain - not weight gain.

• Jiren95
    Jiren95 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    What workouts are you doing at the gym? :grey_question::grey_question:

I'm following a stronglifts 5x5 program (workout A and B).
    Monday (workout A)
    Squats
    Bench press
    Barbell row
    Cable triceps extension
    Skull crushers

Wednesday (workout B)
    Squats
    Overhead press
    Deadlift
    Biceps curl
    Seated biceps curl

Friday (workout A)
    Squats
    Bench press
    Barbell row

I will take your advice and include meat/fish and veggies to my diet. Thank you so much.
    Your diet looks terrible - devoid of vegetables and quite low on fiber. I get the convenience and control-ability of shakes but if you are going to go down that route (and personally I don't recommend it) you need to be cramming vegetables into your other meals and maybe even in your shakes.

Calorific excess is one part of gaining muscle mass but the other is the exercise and so your work outs need to be geared up towards that goal.

I'm guessing that they aren't since you say that your mass gain to this point is "2.5kg/5.5lbs (mostly fat)". How you arrived at the assumption that your gains were mostly fat is a whole other topic but, unless being fatter is your goal, this is not a great situation to be in. Focus on muscle gain - not weight gain.

Thank you for your response. Advice taken. I will focus on gaining muscle however, I noticed belly fat and I saw an article saying you can gain 0.5lbs max of muscles every week. I also noticed a consistent pattern on my weight gains (1kg every week). So, i'm assuming that most of it will definitely be fat.