Can't lose

Options
I have been doing the keto lifestyle for about 5 or 6 weeks. I have only lost 5lbs but have noticed clothes fit a little better. I feel like giving up! I have a friend who started about the same time as me and she has lost 20lbs. Any suggestions???

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I suggest moderating your expectations. 5 lbs in 5 weeks is a healthy, sustainable loss. Keto or not, weight loss will come down to the calories you're taking in - are you tracking that? How much do you have to lose? Does your friend have more to lose? Is she eating less than you? Exercising more?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You can lose - you've lost 5lbs!

Suggestion would be to not compare yourself to someone else! You aren't your friend, there are many variables which change how you lose weight.
  • melissaedmonson9
    melissaedmonson9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I take in 1400 calories. I track all my food I eat and if I can't weigh it or can't find the nutrition facts on it I don't eat it. I think she may have more to lose then me, she doesn't exercise at all and eats anout 200 less calories then me, and I'm more active. I do need to be thankful that the scale is going in the right direction.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Exercise really did not do anything for me either. It just made me more hungry. I focused on food instead and lost weight. I got a food scale too. Just food for thought...
    , she doesn't exercise at all and eats anout 200 less calories then me, and I'm more active.

• Dr_Fishbowl
    Dr_Fishbowl Posts: 42 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Exercise really did not do anything for me either. It just made me more hungry. I focused on food instead and lost weight. I got a food scale too. Just food for thought...

I'm curious to what exercises you were doing, were they super intense? Although everyone is different, I would strongly recommend some sort of physical moment even if its just walking thirty minutes a day. Try downing a bottle of water before and after exercise see if that suppress some of those pesky hungries.
  • InesFit4Health
    InesFit4Health Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you are doing weight lifting you may have gained some muscle, I always think exercise is important for overall health so don't stop. You just started, you are only on week 5, have already lost 5 pounds. That is a pound a week! Congrats, that's the right direction and it's better for you to lose slow and steady than dramatic changes... you also mention your clothes fit better and you feel good, sounds overall like a win win. Keep doing what you are doing. 1400 calories plus exercise sounds like a good plan and you will continue to take the weight off.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Was your friend overweight? For you to have matched that by going from 135lbs to 115lbs in 5 weeks sounds very unhealthy, and you shouldn't be at all upset that you didn't do that.

Are you strength training? Your current weight is goal weight for lots of people. If you're unhappy with your look you might find strength training does as much or more to improve your image of yourself as does weight loss.
  • melissaedmonson9
    melissaedmonson9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    , she doesn't exercise at all and eats anout 200 less calories then me, and I'm more active.

I got a really nice scale and log everything.